Law Enforcement Telephone Solicitations

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Veteran member
Default Law Enforcement Telephone Solicitations

Yesterday, we received a telephone solicitation in TV from a purported law enforcement organization asking for a donation for a program that would help find missing children and help youth programs. The caller was convincing and inferred he was connected to law enforcement. I had some experience with issues related to this specific type of solicitation during my professional career.

I talked to the caller and managed to get him to connect me with a supervisor. After making him aware of my law enforcement background, he advised me that his company was based in Michigan not Florida and they were not law enforcement officers but rather a professional fund raising entity. He assured me they were in legal compliance with statutes in Florida that govern such solicitations. I asked him what percentage of the the money raised actually went to the charity. After some prodding he said 20%. If he is being honest, that means 80% of your contribution goes to the fund raising company.

The problem is nationwide and in some cases, has been so egregious, it has caused legitimate police organizations in a number of states to stop all telephone solicitations. Further, they advise the public accordingly so citizens know they are not contributing to their police agencies if a telephone solicitation is involved.

I suggest that if you are in doubt about a call of this nature, contact your local Sheriff's Office or local police department to determine if it is legitimate before making a donation.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: Law Enforcement Telephone Solicitations

THe one that contacted me was supposedly affiliated with the Florida Highway Patrol and the contributions went to families of deceased officers.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:34 AM
Eternal Member

The first year I gave the $15. Since then I just tell them I am on a fixed income - or hang up. I do the same with the other solicitors.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Founder

Doesn't this type of thing just frost your A**. I think it is an unfair way to prey on people. One guy called and said, "This conversation is being recorded for your protection." I replied, "protection from what, what are you going to do to me?"
Old 11-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Sage

While the typical "Hi I'm calling on behalf of the XXX police dept" calls are not complete scams they are close. I saw a report on these charities and MOST of the money is not sent back to the organization.

I'm all for supporting the local police/fire etc. but do it locally, in person if possible, and stay away from these calls. I'm sure you can find more info on the web about these 'charities'.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Taltarzac

You can check charities through this group. http://www.charitywatch.org/ This is also a useful link for giving donations in FL-- http://www.800helpfla.com/soc_questions.html
Old 11-08-2007, 05:53 PM

I received one of those calls here in NH and when I declined to contribute, the caller began harassing me ... of course, I then hung up! Actual charity solicitation does not include harassing, at least it should not.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Banned

I simply say, "I'm sorry, but I don't respond to telephonic solicitations, thank you." and the hang up.

The person on the other end is, almost all of the time, a paid employee of a company which specializes in fund-raising. Neither is offended by my comment, and less of both party's time is wasted.

Life's too short to try to educate the person on the other of the phone line, who couldn't care less and probably is paid on commission.....
Old 11-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator

I have often wondered that if you immediately started talking dirty to them would it be an obscene call?

Old 11-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I usually try to make a deal with them -- if they'll buy X amount of items from my daughter's fundraising, I'll give them the same amount of a contribution. Could never quite figure out why they would hang up on me immediately after this offer -- it really seemed quite fair to me! ;D

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-09-2007, 06:37 AM

Try this one:

Tell them just a minute, put the phone down and go about your business.......After a while they hang up.

Or:

Ask them if they will take a check? Then explain to them that you still have some checks left in your checkbook...........even though the bank tells you you have no money in your account............they must be wrong.........

They will hang up sooooooo fast............they think they are talking to a crazy lady.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Gold member

I usually ask, Are you a paid volunteer? Is this a telemarketing call? Then I point out I am on the Do Not Call List and ask for their name, telephone number,address so I can report them to the FCC. That usually ends it. I will respond to some charities, but draw the line when they ask me to solicit my neighbors by sending -- envelopes and collecting from them. That's your job not mine. Goodbye.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.