Animals in public places

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Default Animals in public places

I know this will probably make me the most unpopular person in The Villages but PLEASE leave your animals at home. Please don't bring your dog, cat, etc., into Lowe's, Home Depot, Publix, Albertsons, Beall's, or any other retail store. Please do not bring them to the Towne Squares--it isn't a barnyard to show off your animals. I understand you love them and they're like a member of your family, but leave them at home!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Default Re: Animals in public places

sounds like you are ready for the nursing home. I guess you don't like to hear the birds sing in the morning either.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by needleptdoc
sounds like you are ready for the nursing home. I guess you don't like to hear the birds sing in the morning either.
I am curious why you would post such a pointed remark to an individual who was voicing an opinion. Are you in favor of letting all animals roam free in public places? Please take a moment and tell us all, which animals should be allowed in public places and which ones should not be. I have a friend who has a pet monkey. He takes it everywhere with him. The monkey has bitten three people, including an infant. Recently a small dog "that would never hurt anybody" viciously attacked my daughters neighbor. She was injured very seriously. Until recently, we had a young woman in our employ. She had a 10 inch scar on her right cheek, from the end of her eye to her chin. It was caused by a neighborhood dog "that would never hurt anybody." Just before we moved from New York, our neighbors dog bolted from the front porch and lunged at me as I was riding past on my bicycle. The dog knocked both me and the bike over onto the pavement. The owner was on the porch yelling for the dog to stop, because...."This is the first time the dog ever did anything like that......She would never hurt anybody."

So, please give us the guidelines. I want to know which ones are safe and which ones are not safe.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

Personally, I don't have any problem taking my well-trained, leashed dog anywhere allowed by law. I travel with baggies for those call-of-nature moments and make sure my dog and other folk are protected from each other.

Having said that, do I believe there are pet owners who lack sense in the control of their animals? YEP! Sometimes I think the critter at the handle-end of the leash is the one that really should be licensed. Having a pet animal is a responsibility which includes protection of others. There are many folk who seem to think a pet is a fashion accessory or toy rather than a responsibility, and they make it rough on those who take the time and effort to train and control their pets. I taught dog obedience for a long time, but there were always so many folk who should have been in those classes who never were.

The "monkey story" is a good one. I'm surprised the local animal control authorities didn't get involved.

That's why I like courtyard villas. They make life so much easier with pets.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:12 PM

It's apparent that you're not an animal lover - how sad :'(. We often take our pets to the squares and have always sat in an area out of the way of the dancing, vendors, etc. and the number of positive responses we have from people is very gratifying. We will be the first ones to admit that there are smart pet owners and not so smart pet owners as evidenced by their lack of being responsible for their pets when in public places. We do not fit into this category. We enjoy sharing our pets with those who are interested and have made a number of new friends because of these meetings. Only service dogs belong in stores and we agree with you there. You definately have a right to your opinion and we apologize if you've been offended in some way; but we're positive it wasn't us.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:38 PM

Let people put up a fence!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:16 PM

The point of my comment is that your pets don't belong in retail stores, or in public places where the general public gathers. To me it's a matter of consideration of others. I, and many others, are offended by your inconsideration. If you want to meet other pet owners form a pet owners club. Take your pet for a ride or a long walk, on a leash as required in your covenant. But, please be considerate of others who may not appreciate your pet as you do.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Platinum member

As for me, I love well behaved dogs and enjoy meeting them on the squares. We have 2 little dogs, always pick up after them, and they are never off leash. We meet so many nice people when we have our dogs with us.
Tampa, FL
Old 08-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

:dontknow:I've never seen anyone bring a pet inside of Lowe's or Publix. I make a run to Publix at least once daily....sometimes twice daily. I also run to Lowe's often.....never saw critters in there.....but outside....yeah sure. I don't care if the critters are in an outside environment (or park or square) as long as they are leashed as the law requires and owners clean-up after them. I understand that there is fraction of the population that are 1) hyper-allergic or 2) hyper-phobic and pet owners should be considerate of these problems that these unfortunate people have. That said though, based on my experience, I'm inclined to believe those with these problems represent a small segment of the population in this country. I wonder what the anti-pet-in public-places folks feel about guide dogs or helper dogs in public places. Ever have a narc-dog sniff you at the airport......oh my. Life's tough....deal with it.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 08-02-2007, 05:40 PM

Well, if I move there after my two month visit in November...I'll be bringing my Yorkie into public places. She is my service dog and laws under ADA allow her to accompany me in all public places. She fits in my purse...and doesn't bother a soul.
Lynn
Old 08-02-2007, 06:21 PM

It appears that some pet owners are as inconsiderate of others as some smokers are. What a shame!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfitzy
Well, if I move there after my two month visit in November...I'll be bringing my Yorkie into public places. She is my service dog and laws under ADA allow her to accompany me in all public places. She fits in my purse...and doesn't bother a soul.
Lynn
I'm curious what kind of service your dog provides from the inside of your purse. ;D
Old 08-02-2007, 06:51 PM

Actually, if you must know--she can detect if/when I have a seizure and she barks when it is about to happen.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:26 PM

Actually I would prefer to see a well trained dog on a leash over a uncontrollable child. I have seen some a lot of "well behaved grandchildren" act totally obnoxious with the grandparents oblivious to what is going on. I used to take my dog to visit at the local assisted living center and had never had any problems. The several times that I was in the Villages, I saw some grandparents letting their grandkids dance and crawl on the floor at Katie Bells. It was really disruptive to the others that were trying to dance. I blame the grandparents, what they consider "cute" is totally unacceptable. I would welcome a dog any time. I read recently of a dog that can smell cancer, it is amazing what they can train animals to do. I'll bet if the person that didn't want animals allowed in stores had seizures he would want a dog that can sense one. This is just my opinion, my two cents.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzyfitzy
Actually, if you must know--she can detect if/when I have a seizure and she barks when it is about to happen.
NO offense was intended in my question. I think it's wonderful that you have that kind of service from your pet. Do you get enough warning to do somthing to ward off the seizure?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.