Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Lawn ornament trolls (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/lawn-ornament-trolls-283938/)

fw102807 02-07-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1622965)
I understand there are two schools of thought on this issue.
However everyone agreed to the deed restrictions when they bought a home in The Villages.
As CWGUY said: Don't break the rules, and you can't be reported.

I have no problem with the restrictions. I have a problem with how they are enforced.

Happydaz 02-07-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1622965)
I understand there are two schools of thought on this issue.
However everyone agreed to the deed restrictions when they bought a home in The Villages.
As CWGUY said: Don't break the rules, and you can't be reported.

Then get busy reporting all the infractions in The Villages. What would you estimate? Maybe 40% of the homes have some kind of ornament, flag, etc., that could put them out of compliance? You could then do one neighborhood at a time. Then you could complete an entire Village, then move on to the next Village. And when you finish the whole Villages Community you could start over again as new infractions will have occurred.

CWGUY 02-07-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happydaz (Post 1622971)
Then get busy reporting all the infractions in The Villages. What would you estimate? Maybe 40% of the homes have some kind of ornament, flag, etc., that could put them out of compliance? You could then do one neighborhood at a time. Then you could complete an entire Village, then move on to the next Village. And when you finish the whole Villages Community you could start over again as new infractions will have occurred.

:confused: Once again I am confused! Barefoot did not say she wanted to report anyone. I think she was reminding residents that if they follow the rules they don't have to worry about being reported. The people that do the reporting are NOT doing anything wrong. The people that break the rules are taking the chance of being reported. Some are. Some are not.

Some of us follow the rules and love them with no problems. Some don't follow the rules and blame the people that turn them in. What's the saying? THE BEST DEFENSE IS A GOOD OFFENSE! :ho: We are talking about the people that report not the people that don't follow the rules we all agreed too.

EdFNJ 02-07-2019 09:51 PM

Did anyone consider the POSSIBILITY (since there is no proof either way) that the "random trolls from outside The Villages" who "wander aimlessly through a Village reporting infractions" might actually be a person or persons connected with the VCCD or anyone else in The Villages Hierarchy sent out on a reconnaissance mission to keep things in line? Think of it as a random DUI check. Unless of course these people drive around with "I'm a non-Villager narcing around town" bumper stickers. Maybe it's not a neighbor or random stranger ?? Why would any townies give a hoot?

CWGUY 02-07-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1622986)
Did anyone consider the POSSIBILITY (since there is no proof either way) that the "random trolls from outside The Villages" who "wander aimlessly through a Village reporting infractions" might actually be a person or persons connected with the VCCD or anyone else in The Villages Hierarchy sent out on a reconnaissance mission to keep things in line? Think of it as a random DUI check. Unless of course these people drive around with "I'm a non-Villager narcing around town" bumper stickers. Maybe it's not a neighbor or random stranger ?? Why would any townies give a hoot?

Another possibility ..... a second Troll reporting on people from a "Grassy Knoll" in Dallas. :ho:

queasy27 02-07-2019 10:33 PM

In regards to the problem of selective enforcement, I know homeowners who were reported for a rainbow flag mounted on their garage while a neighbor of theirs with an assortment of plastic wishing wells and ducks was left alone. There's an undercurrent of petty vindictiveness behind some reporting.

Making this the responsibility of Community Standards would alleviate 100% of my own reservations about the current enforcement system (not the restrictions themselves).

It's an interesting legal point, but would the Florida Sunshine Laws cover emails send to non-governmental entities?

"This law provides that any records made or received by any public agency in the course of its official business are available for inspection, unless specifically exempted by the Florida Legislature."

CFrance 02-07-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdFNJ (Post 1622986)

Interesting thought!

Garywt 02-08-2019 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roob1 (Post 1622576)
So in your view, the fault lies with the reporters, not the violators.

What difference does it make who cares and who reports a violation? Pure projection on your part...blame others.

If there was no violation in the first place, there would be no issues. If you have the attitude that you can bend the rules because you are "entitled" to, suffer the consequence.

I just have issues with people looking for problems I guess. Also these people are interpreting the rules to meet what they want to see while others interpret a different way. Some say a lawn is grass so the area that is not mowed is not lawn but yard and the restriction is for the lawn only. The lack of meaning or definition leads to these debates. The restrictions for my house go well beyond the lawn but include no awnings, no storage boxes or sheds etc etc. No issue for us but I have seen these items around but it does not change how I live my life.

roob1 02-08-2019 06:02 AM

The reporters are not interpreting the rules. They are reporting a "possible" violation. Community Standards then decides if a rule is violated. If they feel it is, they take action.

Again, the projection of blame.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garywt (Post 1623018)
I just have issues with people looking for problems I guess. Also these people are interpreting the rules to meet what they want to see while others interpret a different way. Some say a lawn is grass so the area that is not mowed is not lawn but yard and the restriction is for the lawn only. The lack of meaning or definition leads to these debates. The restrictions for my house go well beyond the lawn but include no awnings, no storage boxes or sheds etc etc. No issue for us but I have seen these items around but it does not change how I live my life.

NatureBoy 02-08-2019 07:13 AM

On the point that "it hurts nobody; if the neighbors are happy, keep your nose out of our business":

People tour the Villages, they visit exploring places to live. If they see various lawn ornaments - or whatever other things that violate the deed restrictions - they will think they can have a house that looks like that. Then they buy and discover they really can't have/do whatever. Now they are grumpy customers/residents. That hurts The Villages' image.

And as has also been pointed out, selective enforcement becomes a weapon that can be used against "undesirables". That sets up an environment of mob rule, not rule of law.

There's a quote out there somewhere that I couldn't find that essentially says: ignoring one law weakens respect for all laws.

So if the lawn ornament rule is so widely ignored & unenforced, it probably ought to be modified. But I doubt it will be. The books have many laws that get selectively enforced, they are political weapons at the ready. Many people like it that way.

billethkid 02-08-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roob1 (Post 1623023)
The reporters are not interpreting the rules. They are reporting a "possible" violation. Community Standards then decides if a rule is violated. If they feel it is, they take action.

Again, the projection of blame.....

The action being notified is getting a letter stating the "confirmed"(?) violation.
Which often times goes to the circular file.

No follow up....

Selective, complaint driven system implies no complaints = no violations.
Then there is the assumption that.....the violator knows they are in violation. About the same level of concern as exhibited in the daily continuation of vehicle moving violations...speeding/stop sign running being at the top.

There is no objectivity in selective or complaint driven enforcement....did I mention that?

graciegirl 02-08-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatureBoy (Post 1623032)
On the point that "it hurts nobody; if the neighbors are happy, keep your nose out of our business":

People tour the Villages, they visit exploring places to live. If they see various lawn ornaments - or whatever other things that violate the deed restrictions - they will think they can have a house that looks like that. Then they buy and discover they really can't have/do whatever. Now they are grumpy customers/residents. That hurts The Villages' image.

And as has also been pointed out, selective enforcement becomes a weapon that can be used against "undesirables". That sets up an environment of mob rule, not rule of law.

There's a quote out there somewhere that I couldn't find that essentially says: ignoring one law weakens respect for all laws.

So if the lawn ornament rule is so widely ignored & unenforced, it probably ought to be modified. But I doubt it will be. The books have many laws that get selectively enforced, they are political weapons at the ready. Many people like it that way.

I think I remember that you are considering living here?

It is my opinion that the "lawn ornament rule" is not widely ignored at all. I have lived here for eleven years. In new areas there is a time when deed restrictions are not processed, until that area is "turned over" to the CDD.

fw102807 02-08-2019 07:48 AM

I refuse to report anyone and my yard is compliant. End of story for me.

graciegirl 02-08-2019 07:57 AM

We live in a small village. All of the homes are compliant. I did not report anyone in this village but I did report a neighbor in our previous village. She had placed more than two dozen items in the front yard.

I didn't dislike her because of that. I was not unkind to her because of that. She asked me about it and I explained the rules. I understand that we each like different things and see beauty in different things. We all have different experiences and expectations from the areas we left behind.

I reported the infringement. The items were removed. She didn't ask me if I reported her and I didn't volunteer the information. I am either a sneaky coward and a yard (will not type that word) or a good citizen or just someone who likes unadorned lawns. The rules were on my side.

Everything You Need To Know About Florida Deed-Restricted HOA Communities - Curri Properties

retiredguy123 02-08-2019 08:07 AM

Where is a good place to buy lawn ornaments?