Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Lawn ornament trolls (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/lawn-ornament-trolls-283938/)

bob47 02-02-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigben007 (Post 1621386)
I agree with you 100%, what does it matter who reported the infraction, if it's not allowed, it's not allowed.

I agree with this logic completely. And in fact, the person reporting is not declaring that there is an infraction. He / she is asking community standards to determine whether or not there is an infraction.

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-02-2019 01:49 PM

Is this an actual lawn ornament, or a garden gnome statuette? Do the deed restrictions define "lawn ornament?" If so, what is that definition? Does the offending object fit that description?

I see photos on the Villages homefinder page, that very proudly display all kinds of things "under the eves" of the front of the dwelling. Most of them are crosses, in full view of the sidewalk out front, and not even in an actual garden. They're not, however, "on the lawn." So does that make them "not lawn ornaments?" These are not the old properties where restrictions are less restrictive, either.

Buttonwood, Pinellas, south of 466. Some are patio villas, some courtyard villas, and some ranch and designer homes. So it's not even "oh well "those" types of homes are exempt."

So as I see it, it really depends on the object and whether or not it's actually on a lawn. If it's on a lawn, it's absolutely positively a lawn ornament, by definition.

But if it's not on a lawn - and if it's a garden critter, or a religious symbol (like a cross) or even a 2-foot planter shaped like a golf cart and growing morning glory vines up a miniature wrought-iron trellis - then it's not a lawn ornament.

graciegirl 02-02-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1621400)
Is this an actual lawn ornament, or a garden gnome statuette? Do the deed restrictions define "lawn ornament?" If so, what is that definition? Does the offending object fit that description?

I see photos on the Villages homefinder page, that very proudly display all kinds of things "under the eves" of the front of the dwelling. Most of them are crosses, in full view of the sidewalk out front, and not even in an actual garden. They're not, however, "on the lawn." So does that make them "not lawn ornaments?" These are not the old properties where restrictions are less restrictive, either.

Buttonwood, Pinellas, south of 466. Some are patio villas, some courtyard villas, and some ranch and designer homes. So it's not even "oh well "those" types of homes are exempt."

So as I see it, it really depends on the object and whether or not it's actually on a lawn. If it's on a lawn, it's absolutely positively a lawn ornament, by definition.

But if it's not on a lawn - and if it's a garden critter, or a religious symbol (like a cross) or even a 2-foot planter shaped like a golf cart and growing morning glory vines up a miniature wrought-iron trellis - then it's not a lawn ornament.

Kinda. But not exactly. It all makes good sense to those who bought here and signed the deed restrictions. We have had them before for decades. I prefer deed restricted PLANNED communities. I do so like them Sam I am.

retiredguy123 02-02-2019 02:42 PM

Many houses have there entire front yard covered with rocks. But, the dictionary defines a lawn as a grassy area. So, I guess lawn ornaments would be allowed on a rock covered yard?

Challenger 02-02-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigben007 (Post 1621386)
I agree with you 100%, what does it matter who reported the infraction, if it's not allowed, it's not allowed.

Wish we had more "Trolls" Don't understand people who voluntarily enter into a contract and then refuse to honor their agreement. Hope the trolls stay diligent .

Dan9871 02-02-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1621415)
Many houses have there entire front yard covered with rocks. But, the dictionary defines a lawn as a grassy area. So, I guess lawn ornaments would be allowed on a rock covered yard?

The covenants are different for every district but for District 9

"Lawn ornaments, or yard art, generally refers to manmade items located anywhere outside the structure or footprint of the home..."

and it goes on and list things like statues, wind chimes and other things as examples of yard art.

So lawn ornaments wouldn't be allowed in the rock covered areas.

villagetinker 02-02-2019 04:28 PM

Thank you all for the discussion, I was looking for what appears to be an "urban legend". While I was NOT the object of any action, at least 2 neighbors were, and I was doing the research for them. While I generally support the existing system, this recent example appears to be people just cruising around looking for infractions. Items reported were actually appreciated by many neighbors......
This appears to be an abuse of the system, but that is a discussion for another day.
Again thank you for all of the discussion and points of view.

photo1902 02-02-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1621437)
Thank you all for the discussion, I was looking for what appears to be an "urban legend". While I was NOT the object of any action, at least 2 neighbors were, and I was doing the research for them. While I generally support the existing system, this recent example appears to be people just cruising around looking for infractions. Items reported were actually appreciated by many neighbors......
This appears to be an abuse of the system, but that is a discussion for another day.
Again thank you for all of the discussion and points of view.

Go right to the source, and ask the horse (Deed Compliance 352-751-3912) about the "urban legend".

OrangeBlossomBaby 02-02-2019 05:28 PM

So it wasn't even the people IN the neighborhood doing the complaining? Wow. That's pretty pathetic. If their lives are so miserable that they have to create problems where none exist, then they need to just find a nice cave to move into, where nothing can bother them ever again.

I get that rules are rules. I also get that this seems to be a 'if it ain't broke, don't whine about it' situation, where minor infractions are overlooked as long as the neighborhood is okay with it and no one complains. If it gets to be more than a minor infraction, or becomes more prevalent in the neighborhood, someone will complain, and it'll be dealt with then. But there's no reason to go to other parts of The Villages just so you can point out what's wrong with THOSE houses THERE - unless you just really get a sick twisted kind of kick out of minding everyone else's business.

kcrazorbackfan 02-02-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchase (Post 1621301)
But it’s “ok” to have your back yard which is backed up to the street full of Cactus plants!

Really don’t see anything wrong with that yard; I pass it every time I come home from work. It’s plants and they look a lot better than some of the lawns along that same street. To each his own....

Villageswimmer 02-02-2019 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan (Post 1621449)
Really don’t see anything wrong with that yard; I pass it every time I come home from work. It’s plants and they look a lot better than some of the lawns along that same street. To each his own....

I like it. It’s different and plants seem well cared for.

ColdNoMore 02-02-2019 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Villageswimmer (Post 1621460)
I like it. It’s different and plants seem well cared for.

:agree:, as I personally don't have a problem with well-maintained cactus instead of the usual landscaping...as long as they don't create a hazard.

Speaking of which, there used to be an Aloe plant that partially hung out into the golf cart lane, between the 8th and 9th holes on Glenview's Stirrup Cup (Talley Ridge Dr.).

Every time I went past it, I could just envision a cart hugging the curb, a passenger not paying attention and those points on the leaves...doing some serious physical damage (think chain saw).

It's since been removed (massively trimmed?) and I'm guessing it was because I was far from the only one...who had the same concern.

Here's a Google pic of before it was removed/trimmed and if you look closely, you can see where it had been partially trimmed at the very bottom...because the leaves were in the cart lane.

sdedes 02-02-2019 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortal1 (Post 1621298)
I always find it slightly humorous when people complain about those who turn in folks for deed restriction violations. That is the reason the violations are available. Personally I don't particularly like my neighborhood looking like something like a 50's animal/nursery rhyme park. If you don't like the deed restrictions why on earth don't you move? Perhaps you only like some of them? Calling people "troll" is childish. Enforcing the rules and regulations are what make living here better than places where they don't enforce them.

I agree. Everyone moved here knowing these restrictions existed. I appreciate that some people think their gaudy lawn ornaments look good, but a lot of people don't feel that way, and the restrictions are actually one of the reasons why I moved here.

Garywt 02-02-2019 09:41 PM

I just received my paperwork today, did not have to sign the restriction paperwork, not sure if you have to sign it at the closing. It clearly says lawn ornaments and not yard ornaments which means nothing on the grass. As far as where the bushes and mulch are is not lawn as there is no grass.

valuemkt 02-02-2019 10:03 PM

Troll is a much too charitable description.