Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Lawn ornament trolls (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/lawn-ornament-trolls-283938/)

graciegirl 02-04-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazuela (Post 1621863)
These are what would be considered yard ornaments. In the front yard. Village of Summerhill. Bad Request A metal pelican!
This one here uses a park bench AS a lawn ornament - can't sit on it, because it's holding potted plants. And then there's that tipped-over decorative, ornamental planter vomiting up white rocks... Bad Request

Now, I know CYVs are allowed to not have grass. But are they allowed to have garden or yard ornaments? Because this guy in Sanibel has multiple violations! They look terrific too, don't you think? Bad Request

More garden critters right there in the front for everyone to be offended by, this time in Pine Ridge Bad Request

These homes are ALL listed for sale on the OFFICIAL Villages Homefinder website. It looks to me that The Villages has no problem at all with these kinds of decorative touches. If they did, they would have made the owners remove them before using these pictures to advertise the homes for sale, don'tya think?

Maybe the rules should be changed. Or maybe people need to stop turning each other in for such trivial and trite infractions that don't actually violate the SPIRIT of the rules at all, but rather, violate the vague, non-specific, non-defined words.

Edited to add: those "bad request" links are to the actual photos, on the official website. They linked me there just fine when I clicked them, should work for you too.

The ARC, (Architectural Review Committee) here reviews and allows some decorations. If only we all had a good sense of what is lovely, there would not be a problem with expressing oneself in yard art. I absolutely support deed restrictions and I would and have made a call. When we returned to our brand new home in Hadley, many years ago, we found a neighbor had moved in and had placed upwards of a dozen THINGS in their front yard. I called. They went away. They didn't seem trivial and trite to me.

Deed restrictions about yard art protect the value of your home and neighborhood and area.

ron32162 02-04-2019 10:40 AM

Complain all you like The Villages does not follow up on any deed restriction complaint. They send out letters and more letters and even more. If the offender just refuses to comply that's the end of it. In my courtyard villa neighborhood try living beside a person that has erected trailer park reflectors on 2 foot stakes surrounding the front yard every 4 ft. Since this person is on a corner lot there on the side of the road also. Its been this way for 2 years now.

graciegirl 02-04-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron32162 (Post 1621906)
Complain all you like The Villages does not follow up on any deed restriction complaint. They send out letters and more letters and even more. If the offender just refuses to comply that's the end of it. In my courtyard villa neighborhood try living beside a person that has erected trailer park reflectors on 2 foot stakes surrounding the front yard every 4 ft. Since this person is on a corner lot there on the side of the road also. Its been this way for 2 years now.

There are penalties that are adding up that will be a burden when the property is put up for sale. OR they have not been reported. I kind of feel they have though.

graciegirl 02-04-2019 10:48 AM

VCDD Architectural Review

Village Community Development Districts

JoMar 02-04-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1621909)
There are penalties that are adding up that will be a burden when the property is put up for sale. OR they have not been reported. I kind of feel they have though.

Not only the lien against the property but as a neighbor found out, it impacts their credit rating.

Dan9871 02-04-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron32162 (Post 1621906)

Just a couple of years ago deed compliance forced a house remove an out of compliance extension to a patio... it had been out of compliance for 10 or so years before someone complained about it. The do take action.

caram333 02-04-2019 11:54 AM

If someone doesnt report you the "violations" remain in the yard. We got reported for a heron statue. The compliance person had to.pass several other homes with violating lawn ornaments to get to our home. So.if you have nice neighbors you can put anything in your yard and if you have cranky neighbors you get reported. If the rules apply to everyone then the villages should have someone monitoring this so that all residents have to go by the same rules and it is not dependent on whether you have cranky neighbors. So we took our heron down while our neighbors with a water fall ornament, statues and lawn animals were left alone. The reporting system needs to be revised.

Barefoot 02-04-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mciccolella (Post 1621850)
Enforcement of the rules is necessary to keeping this community clean and neat. I personally hate all the junk people put out in front. Keep it in your backyard, if it allowed and follow the rules. Simple.

IMHO, it's not about cranky neighbors.
It's about the deed restrictions you agreed to when you bought a home in The Villages.
Caram, it might be that even one nice neighbor didn't love your heron statue.

queasy27 02-04-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 1621638)
Was it plain or have a face? A face would be considered a seasonal Halloween decoration. A truly plain one would be a tough call.

The pumpkin was plain/no face, but the historic district doesn't prohibit yard ornaments or impose a time limit for seasonal decorations. I was surprised the complaint was even taken by Community Standards, to be honest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by caram333 (Post 1621937)
If someone doesn't report you the "violations" remain in the yard. We got reported for a heron statue. The compliance person had to pass several other homes with violating lawn ornaments to get to our home.

I have no quarrel with deed restrictions or the current reporting system in general, but do think the enforcement folks should be able to submit their own complaints if they see infractions when they're out and about. Ignoring them seems oddly arbitrary to me.

retiredguy123 02-04-2019 02:07 PM

I think there is a legal principle that, if you want to enforce a restriction, you need to be consistent and hold everyone to the same standard. It appears that The Villages is ignoring that principle. Just because someone complains doesn't give The Villages the right to enforce a rule, unless they are enforcing it for everyone. Apparently, they are hoping that no one will take them to court because they would probably lose. The Villages are loaded with lawn ornaments that do not comply with the rules. The enforcement process is flawed.

Barefoot 02-04-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1621986)
..... the enforcement folks should be able to submit their own complaints if they see infractions when they're out and about. Ignoring them seems oddly arbitrary to me.

Actually, that's a dandy idea.

EdFNJ 02-04-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by queasy27 (Post 1621986)
I have no quarrel with deed restrictions or the current reporting system in general, but do think the enforcement folks should be able to submit their own complaints if they see infractions when they're out and about. Ignoring them seems oddly arbitrary to me.

It could take years for them to go around and find and report all violations "equally." While I agree 100% with the "rules" (I signed the papers) I would hate for any official agency to report every infraction they ever see as small as they may be. Let the chips fall where they may but let's not even suggest any single official agency check every single home for every visible infraction. While it might be "fair" it would be frightening.

Odysseus 02-04-2019 03:19 PM

No deed restriction for lawn ornaments in my area and that's whats so great about living in the Lady Lake part of The Villages.

Byte1 02-04-2019 03:38 PM

It seems that some insist that "rules are rules" and not to be broken. On the other hand, those same folks are frequently suggesting that "LAWS" can be ignored. Many on here think that illegally invading our borders is NOT an offense, speeding through stop signs in their golf carts, exceeding the 20mph limit imposed by the state related to golf cart speed, passing on a solid yellow line, etc. are just guides and not to be taken seriously. I suggest that only those that have never broken a law or "RULE" proceed to throw stones. But beware, if you are going to throw stones you probably should open your window first, or spotlight your own blemishes. Yes, rules are rules. Rules are guides or standards that can be flexible. I believe in rules also, but only if a violation of such rules is offending a majority. If the community is fine with lawn ornaments, then why is someone else policing that neighborhood. Personally, I enjoy the steel or plaster birds in nicely landscaped yards. Technically, those little dog signs showing a dog pooping on a yard are violations but they don't bother me either. My restrictions say that only a rock or pot is allowed. Does that mean that my solar lights are violations? I am not really asking you, because I do not really care. I drive past one nicely taken care of lawn on my home and they have two very small gnomes, one in their landscaping and one under their eve. The violation does not bother me because I find it interesting and not at all boring. One person's taste is another's spoiled milk. If I am one to violate the rules and my neighbors complain, I will change the offending practice. If I am called out for breaking a rule, I will not fight it if it is a legitimate rule. I agreed to the rules here and will live by them. However, do not presume to act like someone is breaking a statutory law when these are merely civil deed restrictions.
Having a garden gnome or a bird statue does not equate to or imply that a rusted out car on cinder blocks is imminent. Some folks just need something to complain about. We are living in one of the best communities in America and should be celebrating, not condemning and lynching.
This is just my opinion. If opinions did not matter, we would not need 9 justices on the Supreme Court to give their differing opinions on their take on Constitutional Law. We would only need one judge, right?

photo1902 02-04-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byte1 (Post 1622026)
It seems that some insist that "rules are rules" and not to be broken. On the other hand, those same folks are frequently suggesting that "LAWS" can be ignored. Many on here think that illegally invading our borders is NOT an offense, speeding through stop signs in their golf carts, exceeding the 20mph limit imposed by the state related to golf cart speed, passing on a solid yellow line, etc. are just guides and not to be taken seriously. I suggest that only those that have never broken a law or "RULE" proceed to throw stones. But beware, if you are going to throw stones you probably should open your window first, or spotlight your own blemishes. Yes, rules are rules. Rules are guides or standards that can be flexible. I believe in rules also, but only if a violation of such rules is offending a majority. If the community is fine with lawn ornaments, then why is someone else policing that neighborhood. Personally, I enjoy the steel or plaster birds in nicely landscaped yards. Technically, those little dog signs showing a dog pooping on a yard are violations but they don't bother me either. My restrictions say that only a rock or pot is allowed. Does that mean that my solar lights are violations? I am not really asking you, because I do not really care. I drive past one nicely taken care of lawn on my home and they have two very small gnomes, one in their landscaping and one under their eve. The violation does not bother me because I find it interesting and not at all boring. One person's taste is another's spoiled milk. If I am one to violate the rules and my neighbors complain, I will change the offending practice. If I am called out for breaking a rule, I will not fight it if it is a legitimate rule. I agreed to the rules here and will live by them. However, do not presume to act like someone is breaking a statutory law when these are merely civil deed restrictions.
Having a garden gnome or a bird statue does not equate to or imply that a rusted out car on cinder blocks is imminent. Some folks just need something to complain about. We are living in one of the best communities in America and should be celebrating, not condemning and lynching.
This is just my opinion. If opinions did not matter, we would not need 9 justices on the Supreme Court to give their differing opinions on their take on Constitutional Law. We would only need one judge, right?

///