Lawn ornament trolls

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

It really only becomes a major issue is when you try to sell your house and people that look at the neighborhood decide they don't want to live there because of the whimsy and personality. That's what impacts prices and length of time on the market. Funny how the live and let live attitude then changes.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-07-2019, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
It really only becomes a major issue is when you try to sell your house and people that look at the neighborhood decide they don't want to live there because of the whimsy and personality. That's what impacts prices and length of time on the market. Funny how the live and let live attitude then changes.
The same is true if you're trying to sell your house and a would-be homeowner sees 100% conformity with 0% individual personality, and decides to buy elsewhere as a direct result of it.

Rigid restrictions restrict creativity rigidly. Wiggle-room allows for creativity, while maintaining a semblance of order.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:06 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I did not move down here to play enforcer and I do not feel it is my responsibility to report people I do not know. If some people get satisfaction in reporting their neighbors I am not one of them.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
I agree with this logic completely. And in fact, the person reporting is not declaring that there is an infraction. He / she is asking community standards to determine whether or not there is an infraction.
See above.

So, villagetinker, after 4 pages of this thread, have you gotten your question answered?
Old 02-07-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
The same is true if you're trying to sell your house and a would-be homeowner sees 100% conformity with 0% individual personality, and decides to buy elsewhere as a direct result of it.

Rigid restrictions restrict creativity rigidly. Wiggle-room allows for creativity, while maintaining a semblance of order.
Potential buyers know that once they consider The Villages. Didn't we all see the conformity? And we are here.
Problem is the definition of "wiggle-room". Deed restrictions eliminate the question.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

This thread is a classic example of subjective vs. objective.

I have nothing to add except to say that I just noticed CWGUY’s avatar and it made me laugh out loud.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Potential buyers know that once they consider The Villages. Didn't we all see the conformity? And we are here.
Problem is the definition of "wiggle-room". Deed restrictions eliminate the question.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
"Give me pink flamingos...or give me death."

We'll miss you.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Apparently that is not happening. We are the fastest growing community in the country.

the villages florida is fastest growing - Bing

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-07-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
See above.

So, villagetinker, after 4 pages of this thread, have you gotten your question answered?
WOW! did I start up a hornets nest, actually my initial question was answered early on, and I was able to confirm with a detailed review of my deed restrictions, as well as one of the replies. As I noted before, I was NOT the victim of a troll, but I now understand that 35 of my neighbors were.
While I support the anonymous reporting system, I think there needs to be some tweaks to the existing process. This will probably be the subject of another thread.
I wish to thank all who have replied, there have been some interesting and insightful comments.
I also like the neatly kept yards, the houses that do NOT have the purple shutters, etc., and in an ideal world it would be nice if we could pickup the phone call a neighbor and say 'hey your whatever does not appear to be whatever with the neighborhood, would you consider doing (whatever) with it, in the real world, I doubt this would happen on friendly terms. I have a great relationship with all of my neighbors, and was very disappointed when I heard and saw some of the complaints, which was the reason for the initial post.

I any case I am getting an education reading all of the replies.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
WOW! did I start up a hornets nest, actually my initial question was answered early on, and I was able to confirm with a detailed review of my deed restrictions, as well as one of the replies. As I noted before, I was NOT the victim of a troll, but I now understand that 35 of my neighbors were.
While I support the anonymous reporting system, I think there needs to be some tweaks to the existing process. This will probably be the subject of another thread.
I wish to thank all who have replied, there have been some interesting and insightful comments.
I also like the neatly kept yards, the houses that do NOT have the purple shutters, etc., and in an ideal world it would be nice if we could pickup the phone call a neighbor and say 'hey your whatever does not appear to be whatever with the neighborhood, would you consider doing (whatever) with it, in the real world, I doubt this would happen on friendly terms. I have a great relationship with all of my neighbors, and was very disappointed when I heard and saw some of the complaints, which was the reason for the initial post.

I any case I am getting an education reading all of the replies.
This happened in Tamarind Grove a few years back, done by a non resident of our village. (We had nothing out of compliance, so they skipped us.)

I know it was a non resident because she emailed the complaints, and under the FL sunshine laws, a Tamarind Grove owner was able to obtain the email.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

///

Last edited by Happydaz; 02-07-2019 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Double
Old 02-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
This happened in Tamarind Grove a few years back, done by a non resident of our village. (We had nothing out of compliance, so they skipped us.)

I know it was a non resident because she emailed the complaints, and under the FL sunshine laws, a Tamarind Grove owner was able to obtain the email.
If you go on the VCDD Community Standards site you will see a list of the districts. You can click on each district to see the rules for that area. They define what lawn ornaments are and where they cannot be displayed. You can also email a complaint directly to Community Standards by clicking on deed compliance. (Deedcompliance@districtgov.org) You could then list addresses and then you would have to specify each exact infraction for that address. Deed compliance only asks removal of objects mentioned at the specific address that was in the complaint. The person who did this in Pinellas did a lot of work and doesn’t even live in our Village.

Our little side of Pinellas is a quiet, small neighborhood that most of us have lived in for close to six years. We have block parties, Rec center parties, and a lot of friendly waving and stopping to chat. We love our neighborhood and everything about it. Yet one day a troll rolled through from another neighborhood turned off on Pinellas Place and drove around our quiet little streets and recorded over 35 complaints and then drove back out of our isolated paradise and back onto Pinellas Place to wherever they live. Neighborhoods should be monitored by that particular Village’s residents only. That is one change I would make on this system. It would still protect property values as people could effect change in their own neighborhood, but it would stop outsiders from invading neighborhoods they don’t live in. Just think, these trolls had to read up on District 9 rules and then launch an assault on our quiet enclave in the Village of Pinellas. We Pinellas Villagers are not happy that an outsider came in and anonymously complained about us. I hope the VCDD makes sure, at least, that this person is an actual Villages resident and has a valid Villages ID card.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 PM
Sage

I understand there are two schools of thought on this issue.
However everyone agreed to the deed restrictions when they bought a home in The Villages.
As CWGUY said: Don't break the rules, and you can't be reported.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:

I think you are mistaken

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
restrictions, eves, deed, district, trolls

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.