Lawn ornament trolls

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
No clothes lines, no antennae. Against the deed restrictions.
Antennas are protected by federal law-----closelines aren't.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

That's Lake County. https://www.districtgov.org/images/D...n/lake/L-3.pdf section 2.8: "No television antennae of any kind are permitted in the development."
Here's one for a Sumter County division: https://www.districtgov.org/images/D...%201/S1-12.pdf section 2:14: "No aerials, satellite reception dishes, or antennae of any kind are permitted in the subdivision."

So - as I've said countless times already, which I'm sure many of you are tired of seeing: If the rules are incorrect, unenforceable, and unenforced, they need to be replaced.

If these rules are legally invalid, then they need to be eliminated because just having those rules in the documentation would be in violation of the law. People would be signing an agreement to abide by rules that are not legally allowed to exist. If they're legally permissible and you want them to be viable rules, then they need to be enforced. Unless no one wants these rules to exist, in which case they need to be voted off the documentation.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
That's Lake County. https://www.districtgov.org/images/D...n/lake/L-3.pdf section 2.8: "No television antennae of any kind are permitted in the development."
Here's one for a Sumter County division: https://www.districtgov.org/images/D...%201/S1-12.pdf section 2:14: "No aerials, satellite reception dishes, or antennae of any kind are permitted in the subdivision."

So - as I've said countless times already, which I'm sure many of you are tired of seeing: If the rules are incorrect, unenforceable, and unenforced, they need to be replaced.

If these rules are legally invalid, then they need to be eliminated because just having those rules in the documentation would be in violation of the law. People would be signing an agreement to abide by rules that are not legally allowed to exist. If they're legally permissible and you want them to be viable rules, then they need to be enforced. Unless no one wants these rules to exist, in which case they need to be voted off the documentation.

THEY are NOT legally INVALID.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Do you even live here yet? Or has your husband changed his mind? Geez...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

They are still active restrictions that have been pre-empted in part by Federal or State Legislative actions or FCC regulatory directives.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

I think this posts may out do POOP post. LMAO
:boxi ng2:
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Unless no one wants these rules to exist, in which case they need to be voted off the documentation.
Who would do the voting?

I did not realize that we residents have the power to vote on the rules in TV.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
No clothes lines, no antennae. Against the deed restrictions.
Antennae are protected by Federal law.

Clotheslines are allowed by Florida law.

163.04 Energy devices based on renewable resources.—
(1) Notwithstanding any provision of this chapter or other provision of general or special law, the adoption of an ordinance by a governing body, as those terms are defined in this chapter, which prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting the installation of solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy devices based on renewable resources is expressly prohibited.
(2) A deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or similar binding agreement may not prohibit or have the effect of prohibiting solar collectors, clotheslines, or other energy devices based on renewable resources from being installed on buildings erected on the lots or parcels covered by the deed restriction, covenant, declaration, or binding agreement.
. . .

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Old 02-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
So - as I've said countless times already, which I'm sure many of you are tired of seeing: If the rules are incorrect, unenforceable, and unenforced, they need to be replaced. Unless no one wants these rules to exist, in which case they need to be voted off the documentation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I did not realize that we residents have the power to vote on the rules in TV.
It's news to me also. Perhaps Jazuela can let us know the process.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
Clotheslines are allowed by Florida law.
You read it first on TOTV.
Good to know I guess; but I sincerely hope we don't end up with a sea of clotheslines.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
You read it first on TOTV.
Good to know I guess; but I sincerely hope we don't end up with a sea of clotheslines.
Put them in the front yard and hang decorative rugs & sheets from them.

And put out "ornaments" with solar cells on top that let them light up at night!

The Villages Florida

Last edited by NatureBoy; 02-11-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

How can someone who doesn’t live here be such an authority?
Old 02-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hi Jazuela,

Because the "governing" of TV is unique, or relatively so, it can take some getting used to. I remember going to a meeting in 2007 when I had just begun to do my TV homework. In 2007 TV was about half the size it is now.

After that meeting, I still had questions. But I know myself well -- I always have asked questions -- since I started talking. I also catch myself overthinking some things. And, I must confess that sometimes I really like a good argument, er, debate. (Maybe some of this sounds familiar. )

Anyway, in 2007, we were not ready to buy yet, but 5 years later we did. But we kept the northern house, though we downsized there. I have said before though, and I will say it again, that I think there is a definite advantage to making the commitment to living year-round in TV if you are going to own. But we are at a point in our lives now where that probably will not happen.

Here I am, going on and on, when what I really want to present, for your consideration, is how I got my head around the way TV is run:

- I think of us as living in a corporation.

-Owning a house in TV is like owning stock in a corporation.

- All corporations make decisions that are intended to be in the best interest of the corporation itself. But a successful corporation will make its stockholders successful, too.

- "The Lifestyle" is the dividend paid to the "stockholders" in this "corporation" where we live.

- Views of what is expected from "The Lifestyle" dividend will vary by owner.

- Just like any stock that is owned for the dividend, if the stockholder sees the corporation cut the dividend, the stockholder can decide, individually, to hold or to sell.

(So far, so good, with the overall success of TV, even though there are things that make some "stockholders" unhappy.)

One of the things that made us decide to buy "stock" in TV was my observation of how things went during the housing crisis 10 years ago. Sales might have slowed some because it was taking longer for northerners to sell their homes. But, in the big picture, TV survived nicely. At the time, there were quite a few smaller retirement communities that were over-leveraged, resulting in lots of problems.

Even though, for me, TV now is feeling kind of too big, I do think there is a lot to be said for the momentum and planning. I think that is exactly what got TV through the housing crisis, unscathed.)

I have been around TOTV forever. I learned and have continued to learn things about TV. I do not know if I would buy now, maybe, maybe not. I find the rapid growth to be limiting but others cheer it on.

(Also, I am still in a snit about the loss of the Lifelong Learning College. I was there a lot. I know. I know I need to get over it.)

Anyway, Jazuela, you can see that there are those among us here who are not too happy with your posts. (Sometimes there are those who do not like my posts either.) When I saw the back and forth here, I had to smile and think about how it could have been fun to have you as a student. You like to think -- and debate -- and theorize.

For now though, I must quote a great philosopher:

You've got to know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away,
Know when to run.

I have no doubt that you will do a lot more thinking. You will figure out whether "to hold" or "fold" by doing what works for you and yours -- together -- based on what is the known -- for the time being.

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do.

Boomer

PS: Also, the historic side is a wonderful nickname for the beginnings of TV. The history of Central Florida is not like New England history. I think the historic side has an advantage of being the most walkable part of TV. The streets look wider and the overall feel seems more relaxed.

Last edited by Boomer; 02-11-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: I bumped submit before I proofread. Working on it.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hi Jazuela,

Because the "governing" of TV is unique, or relatively so, it can take some getting used to. I remember going to a meeting in 2007 when I had just begun to do my TV homework. In 2007 TV was about half the size it is now.

After that meeting, I still had questions. But I know myself well -- I always have asked questions -- since I started talking. I also catch myself overthinking some things. And, I must confess that sometimes I really like a good argument, er, debate. (Maybe some of this sounds familiar. )

Anyway, in 2007, we were not ready to buy yet, but 5 years later we did. But we kept the northern house, though we downsized there. I have said before though, and I will say it again, that I think there is a definite advantage to making the commitment to living year-round in TV if you are going to own. But we are at a point in our lives now where that probably will not happen.

Here I am, going on and on, when what I really want to present, for your consideration, is how I got my head around the way TV is run:

- I think of us as living in a corporation.

-Owning a house in TV is like owning stock in a corporation.

- All corporations make decisions that are intended to be in the best interest of the corporation itself. But a successful corporation will make its stockholders successful, too.

- "The Lifestyle" is the dividend paid to the "stockholders" in this "corporation" where we live.

- Views of what is expected from "The Lifestyle" dividend will vary by owner.

- Just like any stock that is owned for the dividend. when the stockholder feels that the dividend is being cut, the stockholder can decide to hold or to sell.

(So far, so good, with the overall success of TV, even though there are things that make some "stockholders" unhappy.)

One of the things that made us decide to buy "stock" in TV was my observation of how things went during the housing crisis 10 years ago. Sales might have slowed some because it was taking longer for northerners to sell their homes. But, in the big picture, TV survived nicely. At the time, there were quite a few smaller retirement communities that were over-leveraged, resulting in lots of problems.

Even though, for me, TV now is feeling kind of too big, I do think there is a lot to be said for the momentum and planning. I think that is exactly what got TV through the housing crisis, unscathed.)

I have been around TOTV forever. I learned and have continued to learn things about TV. I do not know if I would buy now, maybe, maybe not. I find the rapid growth to be limiting but others cheer it on.

(Also, I am still in a snit about the loss of the Lifelong Learning College. I was there a lot. I know. I know I need to get over it).

Anyway, Jazuela, you can see that there are those among us here who are not too happy with your posts. [SIZE="1"](Sometimes there are those who do not like my posts either.) -- When I saw the back and forth here, I had to smile and think about how it could have been fun to have you as a student. You like to think -- and debate -- and theorize.

For now though, I must quote a great philosopher:

You've got to know when to hold 'em,
Know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away,
Know when to run.

I have no doubt that you will do a lot more thinking. You will figure out whether "to hold" or "fold" by doing what works for you and yours -- together -- based on what is the known -- for the time being.

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do.

Boomer

PS: Also, the historic side is a wonderful nickname for the beginnings of TV. The history of Central Florida is not like New England history. I think the historic side has an advantage of being the most walkable part of TV. The streets look wider and the overall feel seems more relaxed.
Run Forrest Run
Old 02-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Run Forrest Run
Aw, CW, you quoted me before I got my editing done. (I bumped the dang submit key before I was finished. I really need to stop trying to do a bunch of things at the same time.)

Oh well, I still luv your avatar. 'tis a hoot and a half.
Closed Thread

Tags
restrictions, eves, deed, district, trolls

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.