Learning About My Irrigation System

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2021, 01:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,682 Times in 970 Posts
Default Learning About My Irrigation System

This is the first Spring in the new house. Decent size corner lot, and some areas are lush and green, others dry as a bone. Put rain gauges out, and, no surprise, the dry areas aren't getting any water compared to the green areas. From what I can tell, the dry areas are getting overshot by the stream.
I know I can reduce the stream by using the adjustment screw, BUT, if the wrong nozzle is being used to begin with, and you rely too much on the adjustment screw you just wind up with a ridiculous amount of water depositing right at the sprinkler head. It is better to have the appropriate nozzle for the distance you want to shoot, and make minor adjustments with the screw.
So, here's my problem: Most of my distances are in the 16-18 foot range, but when I look at the Hunter Nozzle Selection Chart, the minimum I can find is 22', using the low angle (gray) #4 nozzle, and the chart assumes a PSI of 30...of course, variations in PSI create variations in the distance of the throw.

I am hoping others out there who like to figure this stuff out for themselves, rather than "call the guy", can help me based upon their experiences with TV irrigation, and Hunter equipment.
I'm OK with trial and error, but would like a suggestion for where to start.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts
Default Here are some earlier threads

that may help.

Can someone please explain lawn watering and irrigation system. - Talk of The Villages Florida

Patio Villa IrragationWater - Talk of The Villages Florida

Sprinkler head problem - Talk of The Villages Florida

Sprinkler system timing and schedule - Talk of The Villages Florida
Old 05-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,396 Posts

Do a search on here....lot of earlier threads on this topic.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Personally, I use Rainbird irrigation heads. You can buy VAN nozzles (adjustable to 330 degree radius) in 4,6,8,10,12,15, and 18' spray distances. Order directly from Rainbird website, price is better than hardware stores, and shipping is reasonable.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I've done a ton of searches and while there are many threads on irrigation, I haven't found any informations specific to my question, which is regarding changing out the nozzles, and finding the appropriate nozzle (for Hunter heads)for the distance I want to shoot, and the available water pressure.

I figure someone out there in TOTV land has tackled this before me.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I've done a ton of searches and while there are many threads on irrigation, I haven't found any informations specific to my question, which is regarding changing out the nozzles, and finding the appropriate nozzle (for Hunter heads)for the distance I want to shoot, and the available water pressure.

I figure someone out there in TOTV land has tackled this before me.
You can go through your system, a zone at a time. Look at each irrigation head as its spraying, determine where the spray needs to go, and measure the distance that each one needs to spray.
Do this with every head, every zone. Make a list, order Rainbird spray heads from their website. You do Not need to use Hunter heads.
I will add, if you have Hunter rotor heads, or a gear drive head, my advice probably won't work.

Last edited by bagboy; 05-05-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
You can go through your system, a zone at a time. Look at each irrigation head as its spraying, determine where the spray needs to go, and measure the distance that each one needs to spray.
Do this with every head, every zone. Make a list, order Rainbird spray heads from their website. You do Not need to use Hunter heads.
I will add, if you have Hunter rotor heads, or a gear drive head, my advice probably won't work.
Thanks, and I have done the plotting and the measuring, but Hunter rotor heads is what I've got.
But I think you could help me with one question I have. When you bought your Rainbird heads, did they shoot pretty close to the distance they were supposed to shoot? If so, that at least tells me that the PSI of our irrigation system is within the range that is expected by the manufacturer.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Thanks, and I have done the plotting and the measuring, but Hunter rotor heads is what I've got.
But I think you could help me with one question I have. When you bought your Rainbird heads, did they shoot pretty close to the distance they were supposed to shoot? If so, that at least tells me that the PSI of our irrigation system is within the range that is expected by the manufacturer.
They are usually pretty close. Good Luck! Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
They are usually pretty close. Good Luck! Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.
I appreciate your input. And at least you didn't say "just call the guy".
Old 05-06-2021, 05:42 AM
Veteran member
Default ACE on 301

Quote:
This is the first Spring in the new house. Decent size corner lot, and some areas are lush and green, others dry as a bone. Put rain gauges out, and, no surprise, the dry areas aren't getting any water compared to the green areas. From what I can tell, the dry areas are getting overshot by the stream.
I know I can reduce the stream by using the adjustment screw, BUT, if the wrong nozzle is being used to begin with, and you rely too much on the adjustment screw you just wind up with a ridiculous amount of water depositing right at the sprinkler head. It is better to have the appropriate nozzle for the distance you want to shoot, and make minor adjustments with the screw.
So, here's my problem: Most of my distances are in the 16-18 foot range, but when I look at the Hunter Nozzle Selection Chart, the minimum I can find is 22', using the low angle (gray) #4 nozzle, and the chart assumes a PSI of 30...of course, variations in PSI create variations in the distance of the throw.

I am hoping others out there who like to figure this stuff out for themselves, rather than "call the guy", can help me based upon their experiences with TV irrigation, and Hunter equipment.

thanks in advance.
ACE on 301 has a good selection of Hunter heads rated for different distances. Also, make sure you replace your heads with the same 'flow' Don't mix hi flow with low flow (which is probably what you have).
Old 05-06-2021, 06:01 AM
Default Central Pro

Central Pro in Leesburg has all you need. Landscaping people go to them. Goand ask:
Florida's source for Pumps, Irrigation & Lighting Supplies :: 9 locations :: 30,000 Products
Old 05-06-2021, 06:28 AM
Default Sad

Quote:
Sad that you gave this person your sales pitch for your personal preference rather than addressing the very specific and clear question.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltongrizz11 View Post
Sad that you gave this person your sales pitch for your personal preference rather than addressing the very specific and clear question.
I don’t understand your comment at all. I also suggest replacing heads with Rainbird. They are more versatile and the dual spray heads fix a lot of the issues we have in TV.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiltongrizz11 View Post
Whoa !!!!! Too much coffee this morning?

"I am a newbie. Very new. I live in Summerfield ..." Maybe stick with Talk of Summerfield.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:20 AM
Default Nozzles

Quote:

thanks in advance.
Rainbird nozzles will fit the hunter popups. There is a larger variety of choices and much cheaper. I changed several on our system due to the issues you are describing.

Tags
nozzle, areas, screw, dry, stream

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.