Learning center lawsuit

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2017, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
The article says "... the federal lawsuit against The Villages Charter School ..."
Since the Sumter County School Board granted approval for The Villages to develop a charter school, can one assume that the Sumter County School District is paying the settlement?
NO. It has to be The Villages fault. Some will not rest until it is. I don't know if it is jealousy of the Morse's wealth or that they don't like a successful capitalist venture or they just want to run things.

Sorry Champion, you are one of the good guys, who quell rumors and correct misinformation and give good info too.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:05 PM

Graciegirl, I so agree with you. The amount the attorneys get as compared to the plaintiffs is criminal.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RErmer View Post
Graciegirl, I so agree with you. The amount the attorneys get as compared to the plaintiffs is criminal.
A disaster = When a bus load of attorneys goes off a cliff.

A catastrophe = When you find out there were two empty seats.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Bottom line for me: if they followed the law, there would have been no lawsuit. Even if you don't like the law, you must follow it while you work to change it. No exceptions. That's been crammed down my throat by my uber conservative parents & relatives from Day One. All through the '60s & '70s when we young folk were trying to effect change.

Why is it okay for some to not follow the law when it's inconvenient or too expensive?
Old 09-23-2017, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Bottom line for me: if they followed the law, there would have been no lawsuit. Even if you don't like the law, you must follow it while you work to change it. No exceptions. That's been crammed down my throat by my uber conservative parents & relatives from Day One. All through the '60s & '70s when we young folk were trying to effect change.

Why is it okay for some to not follow the law when it's inconvenient or too expensive?
Please read the link in post 14. Every coin has two sides.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Sage

I have read it. I know what's going on. If the law is broken, change it. Otherwise, follow it. Why would you (LLC) even pull something like that knowing what might happen? To me it was irresponsible on the developer's part and cost some people a boat load of money. We just don't know who is footing this bill. But I'm afraid it might not be the developer.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

It is not necessarily a case of not following the law. "Reasonable accomidations" can have many interpretations. It is not like The Charter School failed to try and provide reasonable accommodations, the Judge in this case decided they did not do enough.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Platinum member
Question Why no appeal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
It is not necessarily a case of not following the law. "Reasonable accomidations" can have many interpretations. It is not like The Charter School failed to try and provide reasonable accommodations, the Judge in this case decided they did not do enough.
From what I read in the original thread regarding this case, it appeared to me that the cost of providing an ASL professional signer for many of the courses would have cost more for the signer than was being received in fees from the students for the courses. I am amazed that the attorneys for the defendants could not make a case for the concept that it would be "unreasonable" to require ASL signers in such situations.

I would have thought that the school would have pursued the case to higher courts in an attempt to get the original verdict reversed.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
A disaster = When a bus load of attorneys goes off a cliff.

A catastrophe = When you find out there were two empty seats.
What is black and brown and looks good on a lawyer?
Wait for it!
A doberman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:15 PM

So......how about those Bengals?
Old 09-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Gold member

Insurance probably paid it
Old 09-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran member

I am fully behind the ADA but abuse is rampant......there is a lady and her lawyer shaking down small businesses in Jacksonville.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:21 PM
Veteran member

Disabled Jacksonville woman sues 40 Jacksonville businesses for discrimination | WJAX-TV
Old 09-23-2017, 08:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
What is black and brown and looks good on a lawyer?
Wait for it!
A doberman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a slam on Dobermans.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:52 PM

OK ...enough with the lawyer jokes. There are honorable and less than honorable people in every profession.
Closed Thread

Tags
law, learning, center, $212, 500, plaintiffs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.