Learning center lawsuit

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

And because of all this, we lost a valuable resource. CF is right in one respect, accommodations for the minority will be paid by the minority. Those that use the new iteration of the "college" will pay more. I also fear that as this place grows the lawsuits will increase. Attorney's can smell deep pockets and the deeper they get the more the attorneys show up. I suspect that sooner or later we will pay for those lawsuits but I guess we will all feel better because we have made the accommodations......or, for some of us, not.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-24-2017, 04:43 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The ADA rules are quite clear. The Villages operated a learning college and they did so understanding their demographic. I would agree that accommodating the disabled can be problematic. Been there done that. But it is the law.

People gripe about the amount the plaintiff's and attorneys made on this case.

Those of us here then recall the amounts of awards for the plaintiffs and their attorney in the POA's suit against the Developer stemming from the amenities dispute. The amenities suit was filed and settled within 15 months. Not bad change for 15 months work at all

So let me ask what are the differences between the plaintiffs and lawyers in the learning college suit to that of the plaintiffs in the POA amenities suit?

And as to the Developer a reminder "Pride cometh before a fall"

As to funding for this lawsuit The Villages needs to be transparent. The IRS dispute caused/created by the actions of the Developer was paid for by amenity funds

I'll make an educated guess and say we footed the bill again.

As a side bar I had asked those powers to be suggesting early on that the liability carrier ( E&O) be contacted to see if they would provide coverage for the IRS dispute because it was an error created by officers/officials of The Villages.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 AM

Laws are enacted by " the peoples " elected representatives. That means, if you have voted to elect a local assemblymen, a state or U.S. senator or congress person, you have authorized them to act on your behalf in enacting new law and amending or nullifying old law. Attorneys, to protect the interests of their clients try to convince judges and juries to agree with their interpretation of the law. " The people " also often times elect the judges.

How many of you, who are after all "the people " have written to your elected representatives and told them the law as applied to this situation is unjust and needs to be changed ? How many have again written to your elected representatives and told them lawyers are abusing the laws they have enacted and new law needs to be considered to prevent further abuse ?

Until you do so, you have no reason to complain. You are the problem, not the law your representative enacted on your behalf, nor the lawyer attempting to interpret it to benefit his client and himself.

No I am not a lawyer, but they are very much a necessity in our very complex social and legal system.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Default So right Rivaridger1

As long as we keep electing people who only respond to donors (in this case lawyers), and not to what is best for constituents, we will continue to get laws that allow for abuse like this. Don't blame the lawyers, look inward and think before you vote.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:34 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,598 Times in 1,760 Posts

As I see this particular situation common sense went out the window. It was and is all about the money.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-24-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
OK ...enough with the lawyer jokes. There are honorable and less than honorable people in every profession.
True, but they are harder to find in the legal profession.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
As I see this particular situation common sense went out the window. It was and is all about the money.
the trouble with "common sense" is that we all have our own version. It would appear "common sense" to me that if you organized a formal educational venture that you would be certain that you have met the laws/regulation state/federal in order to operate within such laws.

The underlying problem here nd i referenced in my previous post is that some residents lose objectivity with anything remotely connected to the Developer/The Villages. I'll make a huge wage that if Trump said ADA rules ought to be ignored there would be such a backlash from MSM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
so true.....and in the end....the developer (with our money) shut down and walked away and lost anyway....
Old 09-24-2017, 01:04 PM

Is this the future for the villages? Villages has deep pockets $$$ lawyers love to sue companies with deep pockets and no matter how ridiculous the lawsuit the lawyers always end up with the money
Old 09-25-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
OK ...enough with the lawyer jokes. There are honorable and less than honorable people in every profession.
I agree...99% of all lawyers give the remaining 1% a bad name
Old 09-25-2017, 07:23 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2172 View Post
Is this the future for the villages? Villages has deep pockets $$$ lawyers love to sue companies with deep pockets and no matter how ridiculous the lawsuit the lawyers always end up with the money
I agree with you but that is what America is about now, something for nothing. It's enough to make one want to take a knee before the game.
Closed Thread

Tags
law, learning, center, $212, 500, plaintiffs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.