Leave the refrigarator on/off

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
ruby9red's Avatar
ruby9red ruby9red is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 19
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Leave the refrigarator on/off

Just trying to get a feel for what you snowbirds do about your refrigarator durning the summer months when you go north. I left mine on this past summer because we didn't want to waste the food, etc in it.
We left ours on last summer and when we came down this winter we found the food spoiled because the compressor broke, apparently due to a power surge.
So we bought a new refrigarator and trying to deciede if we want to leave it plugged in or not. What do others do?
  #2  
Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,303
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,767 Times in 787 Posts
Default

it is better for the refrigerator to be running.

Once there is no one around to open and close the door it will settle down to a maintenance of temp mode.

We have been doing it for years in multiple homes.

btk
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
  #3  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 PM
philnpat's Avatar
philnpat philnpat is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Clifton Park, NY and soon to be Duval
Posts: 805
Thanks: 8
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We also keep our's running. We have a spare one in the garage that we mainly use for drinks that we empty , unplug and leave with the door propped open.
  #4  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 PM
rjm1cc's Avatar
rjm1cc rjm1cc is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,984
Thanks: 56
Thanked 197 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Guess they are unplugged in the store.
I would empty out all the food and leave running on the highest setting or turn off and leave the doors open. Turning off would be my preference.
  #5  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM
hoseman hoseman is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Unplug it,
Should You Unplug a Refrigerator for a Long Vacation? | eHow.com
  #6  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,690
Thanks: 265
Thanked 831 Times in 396 Posts
Default

Both up north and down here, we have always unplugged ours and left the doors open, turned water off to the ice maker, etc. Aside from the added cost of electricity per month to run, I don't want to come back to any unpleasant surprises.

We do have whole-house surge protection, but compressors do fail on their own sometimes.
  #7  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Bill-n-Brillo's Avatar
Bill-n-Brillo Bill-n-Brillo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Granville, OH.....and TV snowflakes!
Posts: 6,909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We leave our fridge plugged in with the temp controls set to 2 (out of max of 5) when we're away between trips to TV.

In addition to having SECO's whole house surge protection device at the service entrance/meter, we've also bought a number of these for various items in the house - fridge, garage door opener, washer, dryer (gas), microwave, irrigation transformer:

Belkin Single Outlet Wall - Mount Surge Protector-F9H101aCW-DP at The Home Depot

Bought at the Lady Lake Home Depot.

I hope they'll be of some additional help if a spike gets past the meter.

Bill
  #8  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:52 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,690
Thanks: 265
Thanked 831 Times in 396 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
We leave our fridge plugged in with the temp controls set to 2 (out of max of 5) when we're away between trips to TV.

In addition to having SECO's whole house surge protection device at the service entrance/meter, we've also bought a number of these for various items in the house - fridge, garage door opener, washer, dryer (gas), microwave, irrigation transformer:

Belkin Single Outlet Wall - Mount Surge Protector-F9H101aCW-DP at The Home Depot

Bought at the Lady Lake Home Depot.

I hope they'll be of some additional help if a spike gets past the meter.

Bill
I suppose if we went back and forth more frequently it wouldn't bother me to leave it on. But we're 8 months here and 4 up there. Both those amounts of time are too long for my comfort zone.
  #9  
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,648
Thanks: 1,435
Thanked 177 Times in 124 Posts
Default

We used to unplug the refrigerator when we left for six months. Then a "Fridge Expert" told me that leaving the door open would dry out the seals. Now we turn the temperature down, remove the icemaker, and leave the fridge on. I think it costs about $5 per month. We store any spices, wine, unopened products in the fridge.

Of course we have a Homewatch person who checks the house weekly, runs the dishwasher, etc. And our humidistat saves us a ton of money on electricity.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #10  
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM
justjim justjim is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Posts: 4,811
Thanks: 58
Thanked 573 Times in 214 Posts
Default

Leave the Frige on----Best to keep it running. Dishwasher, disposal and washer should also be run while you are gone----golf cart too. In order to do this hire a Home Watch Service. A good Home Watch will have a check list and work with you so your big investment will be protected until you return. Lightning could strike or you could have a power surge so you need someone to be watching your house IMHO. Unexpected things can happen.
__________________
Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by justjim; 03-19-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
  #11  
Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,648
Thanks: 1,435
Thanked 177 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Leave the Frige on----Best to keep it running. Dishwasher, disposal and washer should also be run while you are gone----golf cart too. In order to do this hire a Home Watch Service. A good Home Watch will have a check list and work with you so your big investment will be protected until you return. Lightning could strike or you could have a power surge so you need someone to be watching your house IMHO. Unexpected things can happen.
I totally agree! We have always hired a Home Watch company, money well spent. They take care of our interior, flush toilets, check security, etc. If we leave in a rush and forget to unplug an appliance, they check and make sure everything has been done. They run our golf cart occasionally. If our lawn or pest contractors need to be called, they'll take care of it. They even tell us if we have faulty sprinkler heads!
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #12  
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
wesmin wesmin is offline
Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 76
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default fridge on

We put jugs ofwater in freezer and fridge to help it stay cold it will not run as often
  #13  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:24 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,690
Thanks: 265
Thanked 831 Times in 396 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I totally agree! We have always hired a Home Watch company, money well spent. They take care of our interior, flush toilets, check security, etc. If we leave in a rush and forget to unplug an appliance, they check and make sure everything has been done. They run our golf cart occasionally. If our lawn or pest contractors need to be called, they'll take care of it. They even tell us if we have faulty sprinkler heads!
Does your home watch company actually do the calling? Or do they notify you that it needs attention and then you place the call Just curious.
  #14  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 PM
bluedog103's Avatar
bluedog103 bluedog103 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,437
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We leave the fridge on. Freeze a small dish of water and put a dime on top of the ice. When you return check the dish. If the dime is still on the ice you've had no problems. The freezer never defrosted. If the dime is at the bottom of the dish out everything goes. You know that something as happened while you were away and the ice melted.
__________________
New York State, Alabama, South Carolina, Texas, Italy.
  #15  
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,648
Thanks: 1,435
Thanked 177 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Does your home watch company actually do the calling? Or do they notify you that it needs attention and then you place the call Just curious.
They will follow whatever instructions we leave. For instance, if they see insects inside the house, we've asked them to immediately call Pest Control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
We leave the fridge on. Freeze a small dish of water and put a dime on top of the ice. You know that something as happened while you were away and the ice melted.
We're on budget so we use a penny.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.