Water OK For Swimming Pool?

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Default Water OK For Swimming Pool?

I am in the process of having a swimming pool installed at my Villa in Duval. A neighbor just told me that she had her water tested and it showed a high iron count which would cause my pool pump problems. I don't really understand any of this, so if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Jim
Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Default Re: Water OK For Swimming Pool?

I would check with TV water Company to verify the findings. If the water was checked by one of those companies selling water purifiers I'd be suspect. Every once in a while with our water bill we get a breakdown of what is in our water.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Eternal Member

If it truly is high in iron, it will stain your liner. Have a vinyl liner pool here in North Carolina and had that problem and I would hate to guess what I spent on chemicals getting the stains off the liner.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Live south of 466 and assume we have same water supply. Have been here 2+ years and never had any problems with iron staining pool or ruining my pump. Agree with Donna Lee, find out who checked your neighbors water. I remember the scare campaign after moving in when a water purification person pulled up in her Lexus and attempted to sell us a 4000.00 water system citing all the supposed problems with TV water. Didn't stay too long before she was shown the door.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:50 PM

If you keep the chemical balance in your pool correct you should have no problem. If I ever had a pool again I would use a pool service. We had an inground pool before moving here and did it ourselves--never again. We will use TV pools here and let them have the worries.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 PM

The safest most effective way is to have the water tested by a reputable company that sells pool supplies. Buy the chemicals and follow the application instructions they provide. It's that simple.

Never, ever let a pool service say you need this or that unless that person is someone you really know and trust.

Reason is I have had a bad experience when they added the wrong combination of chemicals in my pool water and complications came from it.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:25 PM

Thanks to all of you for your replies.
Jim
Old 10-27-2007, 12:04 AM

Jim, you're probably safe with NO iron. I'm a retiree in the villages and I do water service part time. I've checked many homes and no problem anywhere. I'm a duvallee too. Glad to run check if you'd like. Norm
Old 10-28-2007, 04:16 AM

If you find that the water has iron, you can add chemicals when you fill the pool and each time you add water. First fill iron agent is about $20 for fill and far less on refills. Be sure to test water often and keep it balanced -- being way off can make liners mushy one way and brittle the other way -- the warmer the water, the more chemicals you need, and sun light can break dowm some chemicals -- automate everything you can, because getting a pool is like getting a baby, you have to feed it, clean it and give it lots of attention -- Oh yeah, the pool never grows up and takes care of itself --

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.