Leaving or Staying in TV

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2018, 04:17 PM
Sage

This is the final frontier---we had a good run while we could enjoy it -- TV is our exit plan
Old 07-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

This thread reminds me of a song by the band "The Clash". "Should I stay or should I go"? My take is stay, no place better to go!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
This is not intended to insult anybody's opinion. Liking a place or not is a very personal thing of course. I respect that.

But I've never completely understood the "too big" issue. It seems like, due to the nature of TV and all its amenities, and separation from the commercial areas, TV is only about as big as you choose to make it. You can keep occupied with plenty at local rec centers, the nearest square, walking, biking, etc. in your local area, without ever really going too far. For me the growth just adds more options, easily ignored if I choose.
I feel exactly the same
Old 07-10-2018, 04:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
"It's too big" Every area is virtually self-contained and provides shopping, entertainment, golf, recreation, medical etc. No need to go anywhere else unless you want to - for example, I couldn't care less about the happenings in Fenny, Del Mar, or Springdale - doesn't affect me.

"Traffic is too congested" Again, see above! I have to question whether anyone suggesting this has ever driven in, or close to, a major metropolitan area.

"They told us 'build out' would be years ago" I, for one, never believed that an entity with the obviously fabulously successful formula they had, with the resources they possessed, would simply walk away. There may be a build out at some point but not as long as contiguous land is available.

"Have to get back to grandkids" Can't argue with that one.

Everybody has their own needs, desires, and preferences and TV, like anywhere else, doesn't answer everyone's idea of perfection. If you think it's too big, too congested, or just not your cup o tea, that is a legitimate reason to not come, or to leave -for you. Just know that there are a ton of people who are anxious to overlook those issues and move, or stay, here.
Love this post. Count me in this group: a ton of people who are anxious to overlook those issues and move here. I'm trying for the record of longest TV wannabee, but I know from a post on another thread that I'm not there yet.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 07-10-2018 at 04:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
I have no experience with this so I find it interesting as it's been mentioned a few times. Can people generally just go back to an old job? Like you can quit, move cross country and then decide to go back and bam, sure, you can work here again.

What happens to the person who was hired to replace you? Or getting over how you quit one time already etc??

Not the company I worked for.....When it was over, it was over.
Oh yea, I live in The Villages of Charlotte & there's been 2 people here that I know of that went back to their old jobs, one of them was a U.S. Marshall & he was ask by them to come back to Washington after he retired with a raise in pay. He said the money was so good I couldn't turn it down. (He also worked for the Secret Service) The other person had an office job somewhere along the East coast.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
I have no experience with this so I find it interesting as it's been mentioned a few times. Can people generally just go back to an old job? Like you can quit, move cross country and then decide to go back and bam, sure, you can work here again.

What happens to the person who was hired to replace you? Or getting over how you quit one time already etc??

Not the company I worked for.....When it was over, it was over.
I don't think you could quit a job & expect an employer to rehire you, but I retired from an Auto Industry & I could of gone back there worked but me personally would to have to take the going pay rate as a new employee . Yes your right you in my job personally I couldn't boot the person out of my old job I would of had to work where the opening was. No, I don't anybody would want to hire someone that quit on them. Like I said in my last response to you there was 2 people that I knew that did leave the Villages to go back to work.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
I can’t wait to be living the good life in The Villages. Grandkids can come visit. I cannot stay home and be bored to wait for children just to visit me. Let them visit me in The Villages where I can be happy also.
You made a good point but we were thinking about being closer to our daughter who lives close to Robson Ranch. Robson Ranch has just about everything that The Villages has only on a smaller scale.In our case we have one child that could travel but our grandchildren can't get away that easy. Our son doesn't have 2 nickels to rub together, so it makes it very hard for him to come & his 2 children don't have the means to come. But you're right the kids could really enjoy TV. They've all been here but not long enough to really see the real Villages. Good point though TOMCAT!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Yes sometimes we cannot just live for our children. I have one child and I raised him but cannot keep living my life for him. He is married now. I need to live my own life now. It is not like anyone is knocking down my door to be with me. They are busy with their lives and I do believe that a son will go with the wife’s family more.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Yes sometimes we cannot just live for our children. I have one child and I raised him but cannot keep living my life for him. He is married now. I need to live my own life now. It is not like anyone is knocking down my door to be with me. They are busy with their lives and I do believe that a son will go with the wife’s family more.
It sounds like you could use...a chuckle.

(poke here)

The way I see it, as a parent of three myself, it's our job to help our children on their way for the first 18-22 years, but after that...we have to remember that we have our own lives too.

In fact, there's been a number of articles written on retirement savings strategies for ourselves...versus children's college funding.

Self first...children second (click here)

Old 07-12-2018, 12:52 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
It sounds like you could use...a chuckle.

(poke here)

The way I see it, as a parent of three myself, it's our job to help our children on their way for the first 18-22 years, but after that...we have to remember that we have our own lives too.

In fact, there's been a number of articles written on retirement savings strategies for ourselves...versus children's college funding.

Self first...children second (click here)

All true, but we like the way we have arranged it. We live about half the year within five miles of all our three kids most of our grandkids. Then we live about half the year in The Villages and our kids come visit. My wife's mother is ninety-two and lives on her own about a half hour from our Missouri home, so that is also a factor in being here a lot. I am aware that not everyone can do what we are doing, and we didn't until this year, renting for a couple months in TV in the past, but for us it is ideal.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The Villages is only as big as you want it to be. The North side doesn’t have to go S/O 466 those S/O 466 don't Have to go S/O 466A have no reason to go S/O 44. Those S/O the Turnpike your stuff is coming be patience your stuff will be coming. The major roads are boundaries if you don’t like the other areas stay in your little area and it won’t be to big. If you need more room then Travel beyond the boundaries. I’m going nowhere until the end

Last edited by skip0358; 07-13-2018 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Error
Old 07-13-2018, 01:29 AM
Veteran member

Common reasons for leaving seem to be decreased health and becoming widowed. Which I suppose is another way of saying people need/want to be closer to family for physical or emotional reasons.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

no plans to go anywhere
Old 07-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

plan on moving as soon as possible and no the door will not hit
Old 07-13-2018, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Reason for leaving TV: None

Reason for staying: Love it here
Ditto.......Ditto..........Ditto
Closed Thread

Tags
reason, leaving, staying, duplicate, add

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.