Is it legal to get TV for free with the Firestick they sell at the Flea Market?

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Question Is it legal to get TV for free with the Firestick they sell at the Flea Market?

Here is a legal opinion from a Florida Law Firm:

Greetings, pirates and potential pirates. We have been recently asked, “Is It Illegal to Jailbreak an Amazon Fire Stick or Receive Jailbroken Programming?” The easy answer is nothing in life is free.. or at least it is not once you get caught.
There has always been a “jailbreak” to getting free TV
I will be honest. I didn’t know what an Amazon Fire TV Stick was before starting this blog. However, I get the concept. As long as there has been television, there have been attempts to obtain pay television channels for free. I distinctly remember the descrambler. Before digital transmissions, television channels used to be locked with waves you couldn’t see through. For those rogue enough to have a descrambler, those images would be set right so you could watch satellite and cable television channels otherwise reserved for paying customers. After that, there were computer tricks and re-coded cards which had the ability to unlock devices.
Manufacturer’s Disclaimer
Now, it seems the Fire Stick is the latest way to unlock certain television channels, pay-per-view events and more. Amazon has been very public warning people not to use their devices for illegal activity. They have to. Device add-ons, such as Kodi, are added which essentially is the software media center. It is also innocent in and of itself. Don’t believe me, just ask Kodi, who says all the right things to deny using its system to obtain paid content without paying:
There have been a wave of sellers who decided to make a quick buck modifying Kodi, installing broken piracy addons, advertising that Kodi lets you watch free movies and TV, and then vanishing when the user buys the box and finds out that the addon they were sold on was a crummy, constantly breaking mess. These sellers are dragging users into the world of piracy without their knowledge and at the same time convincing new users that Kodi is a buggy mess, because they never differentiate Kodi from 3rd party addons. Every day a new user shows up on the Kodi forum, totally unaware that the free movies they’re watching have been pirated and surprised to discover that Kodi itself isn’t providing those movies.
With the Amazon Fire TV Stick, consumers no longer have to connect their laptops to their television or have a smart TV to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video and premium channels like HBO or Showtime. It makes any television able to access content from the internet and use media centers like Kodi or torrent services to obtain content via the internet.
With a little computer programming, one can apparently bypass the requirements that you pay for these services, shows and movies.
The Risks of Jailbreaking versus the Risks of Using a Jailbroken Device

The person using the jailbroken device faces vastly more legal liability.
Some are using these devices linked to their own Amazon or traceable internet accounts. This can also present a clear, traceable fingerprint right to you. Some are using these devices while using their own IP address. This IP address is a clear, traceable fingerprint right to you. Your internet service provider (ISP) can also track data and how it comes and goes. Often, these requests require a court subpoena, so it isn’t necessarily convenient or easy to find the pirates. However, history has proven that even if you mask all of the information, the FBI (and its friends at movie and record companies) have found ways to stay ahead of piracy.
Here are the theories of liability:
Criminal Charges
Piracy is legally a form of stealing- it can be theft of content or theft of services, depending on what is taken. In the United States, the maximum criminal penalty for copyright infringement is a fine of up to $250,000 and a jail sentence of up to five years. This involves damages that are both monetary and confinement, as well as a criminal record. There are loads of stories on the internet of young and old being prosecuted for piracy.
Civil Claims / Copyright Infringement
The owner of copyrighted software may sue the infringer in a civil case. Since the piracy of copyrighted software leads to monetary losses to the production companies and media conglomerates, a civil lawsuit usually requires that the infringer pay for all losses resulting from the distribution and/or illegal copying of the software and any profits the violator made from it. By statute, the maximum civil penalty for copyright infringement is $150,000 per infringement. This means that for every single program or work that was illegally copied and/or distributed, the infringer could have to pay $150,000. As you can imagine, a civil suit may cost a violator millions of dollars. During the Napster days, entire lawfirms popped up to handle these cases.
The company selling “jailbroken” devices or modifying such devices becomes more difficult to analyze
It depends on what that company did, why it did it and what it knew or told the customer. Merely installing software may not lead to liability. However, if you are promoting your service to facilitate illegal activity or piracy, not only are you at risk, but the FBI or third parties could obtain your entire customer database and go after them as well.
We invite you to review our verdicts, our accolades and awards and what clients have to say about us and give us a call for a free consultation where our lawyers will consult with you personally. John represents clients in Florida, Georgia and Alabama and before the U.S. Supreme Court with passion and compassion. Our firm handles a wide variety of injury and death cases, criminal defense, family law and a host of high profile matters. We can be emailed at help@floridajustice.com or call us at (904) 444-4444 in Florida or (912) 444-4444 in Georgia.
REPRINTED BY INTERNATIONAL SATELLITE & ANTENNA SERVICE, OCALA, FLORIDA (352) 237-3811 WITH PERMISSION FROM PHILLIPS & HUNT, ATTORNEYS AT LAW.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpearce34476 View Post
Here is a legal opinion from a Florida Law Firm:

Greetings, pirates and potential pirates. We have been recently asked, “Is It Illegal to Jailbreak an Amazon Fire Stick or Receive Jailbroken Programming?” The easy answer is nothing in life is free.. or at least it is not once you get caught.
There has always been a “jailbreak” to getting free TV
I will be honest. I didn’t know what an Amazon Fire TV Stick was before starting this blog. However, I get the concept. As long as there has been television, there have been attempts to obtain pay television channels for free. I distinctly remember the descrambler. Before digital transmissions, television channels used to be locked with waves you couldn’t see through. For those rogue enough to have a descrambler, those images would be set right so you could watch satellite and cable television channels otherwise reserved for paying customers. After that, there were computer tricks and re-coded cards which had the ability to unlock devices.
Manufacturer’s Disclaimer
Now, it seems the Fire Stick is the latest way to unlock certain television channels, pay-per-view events and more. Amazon has been very public warning people not to use their devices for illegal activity. They have to. Device add-ons, such as Kodi, are added which essentially is the software media center. It is also innocent in and of itself. Don’t believe me, just ask Kodi, who says all the right things to deny using its system to obtain paid content without paying:
There have been a wave of sellers who decided to make a quick buck modifying Kodi, installing broken piracy addons, advertising that Kodi lets you watch free movies and TV, and then vanishing when the user buys the box and finds out that the addon they were sold on was a crummy, constantly breaking mess. These sellers are dragging users into the world of piracy without their knowledge and at the same time convincing new users that Kodi is a buggy mess, because they never differentiate Kodi from 3rd party addons. Every day a new user shows up on the Kodi forum, totally unaware that the free movies they’re watching have been pirated and surprised to discover that Kodi itself isn’t providing those movies.
With the Amazon Fire TV Stick, consumers no longer have to connect their laptops to their television or have a smart TV to watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video and premium channels like HBO or Showtime. It makes any television able to access content from the internet and use media centers like Kodi or torrent services to obtain content via the internet.
With a little computer programming, one can apparently bypass the requirements that you pay for these services, shows and movies.
The Risks of Jailbreaking versus the Risks of Using a Jailbroken Device

The person using the jailbroken device faces vastly more legal liability.
Some are using these devices linked to their own Amazon or traceable internet accounts. This can also present a clear, traceable fingerprint right to you. Some are using these devices while using their own IP address. This IP address is a clear, traceable fingerprint right to you. Your internet service provider (ISP) can also track data and how it comes and goes. Often, these requests require a court subpoena, so it isn’t necessarily convenient or easy to find the pirates. However, history has proven that even if you mask all of the information, the FBI (and its friends at movie and record companies) have found ways to stay ahead of piracy.
Here are the theories of liability:
Criminal Charges
Piracy is legally a form of stealing- it can be theft of content or theft of services, depending on what is taken. In the United States, the maximum criminal penalty for copyright infringement is a fine of up to $250,000 and a jail sentence of up to five years. This involves damages that are both monetary and confinement, as well as a criminal record. There are loads of stories on the internet of young and old being prosecuted for piracy.
Civil Claims / Copyright Infringement
The owner of copyrighted software may sue the infringer in a civil case. Since the piracy of copyrighted software leads to monetary losses to the production companies and media conglomerates, a civil lawsuit usually requires that the infringer pay for all losses resulting from the distribution and/or illegal copying of the software and any profits the violator made from it. By statute, the maximum civil penalty for copyright infringement is $150,000 per infringement. This means that for every single program or work that was illegally copied and/or distributed, the infringer could have to pay $150,000. As you can imagine, a civil suit may cost a violator millions of dollars. During the Napster days, entire lawfirms popped up to handle these cases.
The company selling “jailbroken” devices or modifying such devices becomes more difficult to analyze
It depends on what that company did, why it did it and what it knew or told the customer. Merely installing software may not lead to liability. However, if you are promoting your service to facilitate illegal activity or piracy, not only are you at risk, but the FBI or third parties could obtain your entire customer database and go after them as well.
We invite you to review our verdicts, our accolades and awards and what clients have to say about us and give us a call for a free consultation where our lawyers will consult with you personally. John represents clients in Florida, Georgia and Alabama and before the U.S. Supreme Court with passion and compassion. Our firm handles a wide variety of injury and death cases, criminal defense, family law and a host of high profile matters. We can be emailed at help@floridajustice.com or call us at (904) 444-4444 in Florida or (912) 444-4444 in Georgia.
REPRINTED BY INTERNATIONAL SATELLITE & ANTENNA SERVICE, OCALA, FLORIDA (352) 237-3811 WITH PERMISSION FROM PHILLIPS & HUNT, ATTORNEYS AT LAW.
If you don’t want to jailbreak a Firestick you can purchase an Androidtv device from Amazon and do the same Firestick is much user friendly instructions are available online.

Last edited by Dana1963; 12-01-2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 12-01-2020, 06:07 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

If you have to ask then you already know the answer....so if you end up getting nabbed...no tears shed here. You get what you pay for...if you're stealing then you'll get very little sympathy from honest people.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

TL;DR

But NO it is not legal ... but my guess is the chances of you getting caught are virtually nil UNLESS the dealer gets busted and they take his customer list. He's been there so long now I doubt he will.

That being said you can "do it yourself" for free with 10 minutes of Youtube videos or Google search. Frankly though, the picture quality of 90% of what you can watch is far below good.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Platinum member

Here is an article which kind of agrees with the long article above but is more granular in the definition of streaming versus downloading and how each applies to copyright violations. For those that do not want to read the article, I will give my interpretation of the main points made in the attached article.
1. Streaming a program in your home is not necessary illegal.
2. Downloading a program is a copyright violation.
I would question anyone or any service that say you can watch everything for free.

When is streaming illegal? What you need to know about pirated content
Old 12-01-2020, 10:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Here is an article which kind of agrees with the long article above but is more granular in the definition of streaming versus downloading and how each applies to copyright violations. For those that do not want to read the article, I will give my interpretation of the main points made in the attached article.
1. Streaming a program in your home is not necessary illegal.
2. Downloading a program is a copyright violation.
I would question anyone or any service that say you can watch everything for free.

When is streaming illegal? What you need to know about pirated content

EXCELLENT article link. I learned something there. My only caveat would be you don't want to be the person they make a test case out of or a "scare others" case because they have VERY expensive lawyers !
Old 12-02-2020, 06:42 AM

My neighbor bought one and said it continuously rolls and reboots and not worth it...
Old 12-21-2020, 05:27 PM

Speaking of getting caught... Auburndale flea Market recently.
Suspects sold ‘jail broken’ Amazon Fire Sticks at Florida flea market, deputies say
Old 12-21-2020, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

This thread contains a bunch of gobbledygook.

In my opinion, the simple answer to the OP's question is NO.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpearce34476 View Post
As long as there has been television, there have been attempts to obtain pay television channels for free.
I'm so old, I remember when television was free and I couldn't understand why anyone would pay. I thought that was was the advertiser's did!
Old 12-21-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I'm so old, I remember when television was free and I couldn't understand why anyone would pay. I thought that was was the advertiser's did!
That's when all the available channels were broadcast over the air. Now 95% of the channels are what we refer to as Cable Channels, but you receive them via satellite, streaming, cable, etc. Locally Orlando has about 60 broadcast channels, half are Spanish speaking or religious. You have basically the 4 major networks and a few decent independent channels. Much of the sports, news, weather, crime, so many specialized channels cannot be received with just an antenna. Thus, we have the need to pay to receive more channels that appeal to most of us. I have 3 TV's and 2 are on Directv satellite and 1 is on an antenna in the attic. If I could only watch what was on the antenna TV, I would probably quit watching TV.

I remember the first time I got cable, it was 1973 and I was living in Savannah. Some guy knocked on the door and said do you want cable, it's only $5 a month. I said what do you get, at the time there was no such thing as a cable channel. He said you'll get all the Savannah channels crystal clear and all the Charleston Channels, about a dozen channels. I thought that's better than just the four I'm getting and they're not even that clear with rabbits ears.

The first time I had HBO was in '79 and it was $5 a month extra on the cable bill. It didn't come on the air until 4:30 and was on just one channel. It mostly all movies, no specials, no shows of their own, just commercial free uncut movies, and I liked better then.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
That's when all the available channels were broadcast over the air. Now 95% of the channels are what we refer to as Cable Channels, but you receive them via satellite, streaming, cable, etc. Locally Orlando has about 60 broadcast channels, half are Spanish speaking or religious. You have basically the 4 major networks and a few decent independent channels. Much of the sports, news, weather, crime, so many specialized channels cannot be received with just an antenna. Thus, we have the need to pay to receive more channels that appeal to most of us. I have 3 TV's and 2 are on Directv satellite and 1 is on an antenna in the attic. If I could only watch what was on the antenna TV, I would probably quit watching TV.

I remember the first time I got cable, it was 1973 and I was living in Savannah. Some guy knocked on the door and said do you want cable, it's only $5 a month. I said what do you get, at the time there was no such thing as a cable channel. He said you'll get all the Savannah channels crystal clear and all the Charleston Channels, about a dozen channels. I thought that's better than just the four I'm getting and they're not even that clear with rabbits ears.

The first time I had HBO was in '79 and it was $5 a month extra on the cable bill. It didn't come on the air until 4:30 and was on just one channel. It mostly all movies, no specials, no shows of their own, just commercial free uncut movies, and I liked better then.
Actually, air has nothing to do with it. It's electromagnetic radiation. The air just gets in the way.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:31 PM
Platinum member

Jail breaking a Firestick is not in itself illegal. In fact, I will tell you how to do it right now. Go into the settings, find the “developers options” and check “allow”. You have jail broken a Firestick. Now the question becomes what you do with it. There are 1000’s of programs that are not in the Amazon or Google play stores and are available only from the developers. Most are legal, some not so much. This is the bleeding edge of entertainment. So you need to be careful.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:35 PM
Veteran member

Suspects sold ‘jail broken’ Amazon Fire Sticks at Florida flea market, deputies say
Old 12-21-2020, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,405 Posts

Cable is such ripoff, look at you’re bill if you don’t agree, tax for this tax for that, rental charge, county tax, state tax, FCC tax. More taxes than gallon of gas which state and federal government make more than the gas companies, no wander the get tax breaks.
Closed Thread

Tags
kodi, piracy, television, free, devices

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.