Let the carnage begin.....

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2016, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts
Default Let the carnage begin.....

Another Christmas of "free" golf on the championship courses. Scorecard so far:

38 Golfers have played the hole I live on (par 4)
78 divots taken
6 divots filled with sand
12 bunkers entered
1 rake used
Can't see the tee, so ? # of divots on tee
Unknown # of pitch marks on green, but from a distance looks like there have been 0 repairs
Most practice swings----11
Most "whiffs"---- 6 in a row
Most "mulligans"---4 in a row, all shanked into the hazard.
Best club throw-----about 35 yards
Best cart driving---tie between across edge of green and sideswiping a palm tree
Best etiquette----forgetting to put the flagstick back in

Can't wait to play the "manicured" course tomorrow
Old 12-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Gold member

Sigh. And we get raked over the coals if we dare to comment
Old 12-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Platinum member

Which course so we will know which one avoid?!?
Old 12-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Sounds about the same as a normal day!
Old 12-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Which course so we will know which one avoid?!?
No point. It's going to be the same on all of them. It's a nice Christmas present, but there is some excess damage. If I were doing this, I'd use the reservation system to set up a lottery---golfers could enter their desire to play free today, with a course time preference, and let the computer sort it out. I would make attendance at good golf school or a handicap under 18 a prerequisite to enter.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
No point. It's going to be the same on all of them. It's a nice Christmas present, but there is some excess damage. If I were doing this, I'd use the reservation system to set up a lottery---golfers could enter their desire to play free today, with a course time preference, and let the computer sort it out. I would make attendance at good golf school or a handicap under 18 a prerequisite to enter.
In the true spirit of Christmas, you could go out there and clean everything up that you can see from your house!
Old 12-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

..............a handicap under 18 a prerequisite to enter.

A fair majority of those I see on the local champioship course daily, would struggle to qualify for a handicap.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I can't see how the handicap prerequisite would really do anything.

I regularly play in groups where there are some 18+ index guys who know proper etiquette and some around with a 12-15...that still have to be reminded to take care of 'our' courses.

I don't play executive courses, but I'm guessing that the allure of free play today is what is bringing out those that normally play the executives and would otherwise be intimidated of the championship courses...and don't want to spend the money?

If it is that, then the executives must be taking a pretty good beating from these same clueless (or just plain lazy/jerk) golfers.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
In the true spirit of Christmas, you could go out there and clean everything up that you can see from your house!
I would, but I'm leaving town in 3 days. Not nearly enough time to make a dent in it.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I can't see how the handicap prerequisite would really do anything.

I regularly play in groups where there are some 18+ index guys who know proper etiquette and some around with a 12-15...that still have to be reminded to take care of 'our' courses.

I don't play executive courses, but I'm guessing that the allure of free play today is what is bringing out those that normally play the executives and would otherwise be intimidated of the championship courses...and don't want to spend the money?

If it is that, then the executives must be taking a pretty good beating from these same clueless (or just plain lazy/jerk) golfers.
All true, but there is a much better chance that a golfer with a half reasonable handicap knows etiquette than those that have never been on a real course before. I don't play exec courses either, but I can only imagine they resemble the lunar landscape.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:49 PM
Platinum member

Just think, the renters start coming in droves next week. I pay XXX and I'm on vacation, let someone else take care of the course.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Another Christmas of "free" golf on the championship courses. Scorecard so far:

38 Golfers have played the hole I live on (par 4)
78 divots taken
6 divots filled with sand
12 bunkers entered
1 rake used
Can't see the tee, so ? # of divots on tee
Unknown # of pitch marks on green, but from a distance looks like there have been 0 repairs
Most practice swings----11
Most "whiffs"---- 6 in a row
Most "mulligans"---4 in a row, all shanked into the hazard.
Best club throw-----about 35 yards
Best cart driving---tie between across edge of green and sideswiping a palm tree
Best etiquette----forgetting to put the flagstick back in

Can't wait to play the "manicured" course tomorrow
1. You do realize the championship courses are not owned or funded by us residents unlike the exec courses. The developer can do whatever pleases them.
2. I also live on a champ course. I played today and seen nothing like you described. I also was on my patio most of the afternoon and observed no carnage. In fact hardly any play after 1:30 today.
3. We had this same conversation last year. Perhaps I detect a little not in my back yard swaying your observation or perhaps you live on a non desirable course.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Can't imagine spending that much time watching others play golf. Didn't see much disrespect where we were, and the afternoon was light. Hope everyone had a great Christmas with their family and friends
Old 12-25-2016, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
1. You do realize the championship courses are not owned or funded by us residents unlike the exec courses. The developer can do whatever pleases them.
2. I also live on a champ course. I played today and seen nothing like you described. I also was on my patio most of the afternoon and observed no carnage. In fact hardly any play after 1:30 today.
3. We had this same conversation last year. Perhaps I detect a little not in my back yard swaying your observation or perhaps you live on a non desirable course.
Honestly, I hope I am wrong and what I observed was the exception rather than the rule. I'm not sure if any of the courses here are "non-desirable", but if you put Evans Prairie in that category, then I'm guilty.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Do a search....this same thread has come up the past 8 years.
Somehow the courses have survived.

Tags
divots, row, tee, green, begin

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.