Lets band together and cut the ties

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2015, 05:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If the rules say you are not allowed to save a chair, then it appears the roping off of chairs is illegal so to speak, and if you need a chair, take one of those. If you're afraid of confrontation, then bring your own if you are able. If you prefer to complain to the management via survey, and "hope" that something might be done, than do that. (people have been doing that for years now, to no avail). If it was me, and I physically couldn't carry a chair to the event, I'd take one of the roped off ones. What can they do? They weren't entitled to rope them off in the first place. There might be some ugly words, but take the chair and move it away from the roped off area. If taking chairs from a roped off area, it would probably be easier to do it as a group rather than as a single person. But at least you'd be teaching the offenders that what they are doing is not kosher.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Sage

I don't go to the squares during high season due to the crowds. I figure I have all year to see The popular entertainers. However, I do understand how frustrating it may be when you go down and seats are roped off. I believe if you go to an event at the square and need a seat, then at least one party out of two should be occupying the seat. So, if my husband and I go to the square along with two other couples, then that would make six of us going. Three of us would have to be occupying the seats in order to save them for our significant others. Going to the square and roping off seats with nobody even present to claim them is rude.i also think that if these multi seat savers were confronted just once they would probably not save seats anymore. Most do not like confrontation but they know they can get away with seat saving so why not do it? Unless someone with some authority steps in and enforces the rules nothing is going to change.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I'd be inclined to help, but Sweetie would not be for that kind of thing.

If y'all are gonna do it, please watch out for Bubba with a snootfull. He can be cantankerous and has no bringin's up.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

No chairs needed, just dance!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Get rid of the public chairs. Problem fixed, if you want to set bring you own folding chair. That IMO the only way chair saving problem will go away. To many privileged thinking they can do what ever they want. That way when you leave somebody knows it's NOT their seat to take. Course then you will have the chair stealers? With all the cheap 10 dollar folding chairs that look alike O Boy I guess there no end to problems at the Squares.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:03 AM
Gold member

Seems lots of people want to talk the talk.....but not walk the walk. If I wern't down here in south florida I would be standing beside you, scissors in hand...

Good for you... hope it helps people understand they just can't save seats....
Old 04-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Platinum member

I'm glad that so many think this is a problem, like me. I'm also glad that so many have suggestions and thoughts on how to solve the problem. It seems to me that taking away the chairs, though it would make the problem go away, does not really solve the problem. It simply creates another set of problems. I'm not in favor of punishing the many because of a problem created by a selfish and inconsiderate few who deem themselves privileged.
The way to solve this problem is to enforce the rule that is already in place. (1) Put up "no saving" related signs at each venue. (2) Announce "no saving" at each venue each night. (3) And most importantly, have the applicable sheriff's department there at each venue to enforce the rule.

I'm not opposed to the demonstration against the selfish that is proposed by the OP, and in fact it may ultimately take that to get enough attention to the issue, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere during these confrontations Bubba or Mr. Hothead Villager, whether alcohol fueled or just aggressive by nature, is going to punch, push or otherwise physically assault someone and people will get hurt. Our community will be publicly embarrassed, and the public impression of our community will be tarnished. When they do it is primarily the fault of the SELFISH SAVERS, but it is also a liability for the Villages Entertainment and the sheriff's office. A court will see it that way when a jury awards damages. They can't claim that they didn't know this problem exists.

Seriously, if there are circumstances brewing where there might be some sort of dangerous physical confrontation, isn't it the responsibility of the sheriff's office to anticipate that, recognize it for what it is, and provide law enforcement personnel to see that it doesn't get out of hand? OK, I get it that this isn't exactly a terrorist attack we are talking about here, but it doesn't have to be. Eventually someone is going to get hurt because of this problem, and those who are responsible for controlling it, but are choosing to ignore it, will be held liable. I'm sure trial lawyers will swarm over this like sharks to blood in the water.

The nightly entertainment that we enjoy is a tremendous benefit for many who call this community home, and for that I express my sincere and heartfelt thanks to The Villages Entertainment Division, and to the merchants in the various squares. But it currently has a problem that needs to be fixed, and soon.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
What is allowed and not allowed has been presented several times in the Daily Sun and the two property owners organizations.

Saving is not allowed. Saving is OK if one is on the dance floor or at one of the drink booths.

If saving chairs becomes a liability issue for TV as so many venues have over the years we can be sure TV will do something about it.

Something like removing the chairs and not allowing the bringing of chairs to the squares.

Or something else residents will dislike even more than "saving chairs".

Remember the buffalo?
Remember when the squares (not Brownwood of course) used to be open to celebrate News Years eve into the morning?

Like cut the nightly entertainment out altogether......

Be careful what you complain loudly and vociferously about. It's sometimes best to let sleeping dogs lie and beat them at their own game.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:41 AM
Platinum member

Time to either remove the chairs completely or kill the entertainment. Just like its time to ban the noodles in the pools that enable the manatees to take over
Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Time to either remove the chairs completely or kill the entertainment. Just like its time to ban the noodles in the pools that enable the manatees to take over
Seriously. Remove the chairs or kill the entertainment? Do you live here? Do you go to the squares?
Who are the manatees?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post

No doubt most moved here under the total belief that things like this would be promptly handled. Unfortunately as with most problems the silence from the Villages Management is deafening. Now it has escalated to the point there could possibly be verbal if not physical confrontations as a result of this issue not that there hasn't been already. We and most we know hardly ever go and never go to the squares when there is a popular group there due to this issue.

The silence from the Villages Management that could easily fix this continues. I think we were duped thinking into these type things would not be a problem but are left with the reality that the Villages will do basically nothing.

you are making the mistake of thinking that TOTV really represents the villages, it doesn't. It represents mostly the whiners, Real people handle issues without the crying and whining. Grow up! sheesh!
the villages mgmt expects you to be adults and not constantly complain about every little thing.
The main problem with this 'forum' is that it fosters this moan and groan culture as opposed to a lets do something, the OP at least supported doing something albeit she did it by posting where nothing happens, here!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I'm glad that so many think this is a problem, like me. I'm also glad that so many have suggestions and thoughts on how to solve the problem. It seems to me that taking away the chairs, though it would make the problem go away, does not really solve the problem. It simply creates another set of problems. I'm not in favor of punishing the many because of a problem created by a selfish and inconsiderate few who deem themselves privileged.
The way to solve this problem is to enforce the rule that is already in place. (1) Put up "no saving" related signs at each venue. (2) Announce "no saving" at each venue each night. (3) And most importantly, have the applicable sheriff's department there at each venue to enforce the rule.

I'm not opposed to the demonstration against the selfish that is proposed by the OP, and in fact it may ultimately take that to get enough attention to the issue, but I'm pretty sure that somewhere during these confrontations Bubba or Mr. Hothead Villager, whether alcohol fueled or just aggressive by nature, is going to punch, push or otherwise physically assault someone and people will get hurt. Our community will be publicly embarrassed, and the public impression of our community will be tarnished. When they do it is primarily the fault of the SELFISH SAVERS, but it is also a liability for the Villages Entertainment and the sheriff's office. A court will see it that way when a jury awards damages. They can't claim that they didn't know this problem exists.

Seriously, if there are circumstances brewing where there might be some sort of dangerous physical confrontation, isn't it the responsibility of the sheriff's office to anticipate that, recognize it for what it is, and provide law enforcement personnel to see that it doesn't get out of hand? OK, I get it that this isn't exactly a terrorist attack we are talking about here, but it doesn't have to be. Eventually someone is going to get hurt because of this problem, and those who are responsible for controlling it, but are choosing to ignore it, will be held liable. I'm sure trial lawyers will swarm over this like sharks to blood in the water.

The nightly entertainment that we enjoy is a tremendous benefit for many who call this community home, and for that I express my sincere and heartfelt thanks to The Villages Entertainment Division, and to the merchants in the various squares. But it currently has a problem that needs to be fixed, and soon.
great display of imagination and assumption, what about the mongol hoards that will attack due to lack of adequate seating at the square. My apologies to any hoard member.
I can hear fine from anywhere around the square and feel no need to beat up people for a better vantage point, why do you feel this need?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:12 AM

Now what. The rope cutters are forming a little mini gang, to take charge. Remember there were only 11 names on that petition, I hardly call that a majority. Shame on you for going and looking for trouble. Truly, if The Villages finds this entertainment a liability they WILL stop the entertainment. STOP and think before you do anything.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Get rid of the public chairs. Problem fixed, if you want to set bring you own folding chair. That IMO the only way chair saving problem will go away. To many privileged thinking they can do what ever they want. That way when you leave somebody knows it's NOT their seat to take. Course then you will have the chair stealers? With all the cheap 10 dollar folding chairs that look alike O Boy I guess there no end to problems at the Squares.
Where we came from, a Liberal Arts College had free concerts seven Fridays in a row in Summer, bring your own chair, food (or buy it) tables. We got there early to sit up close. How did some people reserve spaces? They spread out a blanket on the ground. We used our small table to maintain leg room. Where theirs a will theirs a way.

We gave up on the Squares, no parking place. Make the area no cars allowed. How many of the people are non-villagers?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran member

I have a possible solution to chair saving and roping them off before the start of an entertainment venue at the squares.

Have people pay for the rental of chairs prior to the start of the venue, for the sake of discussion, charge $5.00 for 2 chairs. After the entertainment starts, the chairs are free of charge.

Persons that are physically challenged will not be charged.

Just a thought.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.