Realtors or trying it on your own?

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 PM
Default Realtors or trying it on your own?

Out of curiosity, was wondering if any of you have sold a house here in TV on your own. Please share your thoughts, whether you would do it again or go with a realtor.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

we used a the villages to sell our home since we are not here for long periods of time. First offer came in 17 hours. one and done. but if I was here full time I would have done it on my own
Old 01-23-2015, 10:07 AM

I recently sold my home in Haciendas at Mission Hills by myself. It sold quickly by word of mouth. I placed a sign on my garage window and had a few "lookers" who were just curious. One of my mah jongg buddies told me a friend of hers was interested and could she give her my number. Of course I said yes and less than a week later we were in contract and the next week my home was sold. I had great buyers who allowed us to rent back for two months which gave us time to find a house and close and move slowly. I don't know if I had an angel on my shoulder but, for my husband and me it worked. Give it a try!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Sage

If you sell a house by yourself, the money saved might bite you later on--legal issues as far as disclosures, covenants, etc.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:20 AM

Its always better to sell on your own, just my opinion
Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Platinum member

If you do sell it yourself, the title company has a do it yourself package with all of the paperwork. You and the buyer fill it out and the title company puts in on the necessary legal paper. The title company handles the closing.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

I have sold as well as bought several houses on my own and am quite comfortable with it. There are no doubt some self help books out there to answer questions you may have. Some may be specifically directed to selling homes in Florida. Conditions vary a little from state to state. If you know what your property is truly worth which is not difficult in a development such as The Villages why not give it a try and save 6% of the sale price?

β€œTo argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Sage

I have become a little suspect of the Village realtors because they do work for the developer and the developer's first priority is to sell new homes where they make their most profit. I have heard recently far too many people say that they have one showing in a month.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If you sell a house by yourself, the money saved might bite you later on--legal issues as far as disclosures, covenants, etc.

We sold our home and used McLin Burnsed who is the closing law firm for The Villages. It cost $750 and they handled everything....beautifully.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Sage

Sold it on my own for more $$$ than TV realtor wanted to list for.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

The real estate agents working for the developer are NOT Realtors ™. National Association of Realtors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

β€œTo argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The real estate agents working for the developer are NOT Realtors ™. National Association of Realtors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
which is why they do not have a duty to represent your interests. They are working for the developer.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Platinum member

There is a difference between a Realtor and a real estate salesman or, for that matter, a developer's agent.

However, they all have one thing in common and that is to sell property and one way to move property faster is to price it low. The top sales person in a large Realtor's office in another city used that as a selling tool. She earned a slightly smaller commission per sale but she outsold every other real estate sales person in the area.
I am a former licensed Florida real estate broker. Would I sell my own house or list it with a broker? Frankly I don't know. I could only give an answer if and when the situation occurs. There are many too considerations.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
If you do sell it yourself, the title company has a do it yourself package with all of the paperwork. You and the buyer fill it out and the title company puts in on the necessary legal paper. The title company handles the closing.
That is good to know. My husband is a realtor but he's not licensed in Florida. But it would be nice to use his expertise and save at least half the fees.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Gold member

I sold my home in Indiana myself. Had no problem. Yes I would have a lawyer take care of the transaction. Locally I would use McLin Burnsed who is the closing law firm for The Villages. They will handle the closing for you.

A friend of mine asked me about selling his home himself. I told him to at least put a for sale by owner sign out for a few weeks so if there is an easy neighborhood sale out there you can get it yourself. He decided to list it with a Realtor and had the Realtor over to list the home and had all the paper work done except the final signature. They went outside to take a photo of the Villa. While they were taking the photo his neighbor walked up and asked him what he was doing as he saw the Realtor's sign of his car. My friend said he was selling his home the neighbor said he would buy it for his in-laws. Sale done and my bet is that Realtor won't go outside and take a photo till the paperwork is done from now on.

The first thing a Realtor does when they list your home is send a mailing to about 50-100 of your neighbors telling them your home is for sale. Do the same it must work or the Realtor's would not do it. Especially in The Villages many people have a friend that has told them if a home near them goes up for sale to let them know.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.