Lets' be careful----toss up question

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

Let's say that you're at a multi-lane intersection and you pull into one of the 2 left lanes that are marked with arrows for left turns. the lights go green and you decide to turn right. If that's not against the law, it should be. I believe that's what pretty much is what's happening when that person exits the inside lane and cuts in front of you to turn off the roundabout. I don't think that there is any excuse for this. If you miss your turn, go around again until you get into the outer lane.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Let's say that you're at a multi-lane intersection and you pull into one of the 2 left lanes that are marked with arrows for left turns. the lights go green and you decide to turn right. If that's not against the law, it should be. I believe that's what pretty much is what's happening when that person exits the inside lane and cuts in front of you to turn off the roundabout. I don't think that there is any excuse for this. If you miss your turn, go around again until you get into the outer lane.
I thought I'd posted something, but can't seem to find it now. Guess I only Previewed the post. You're right as far as I'm concerned, Lary. Sheriff Wolfe did a presentation at one of our Social Club meetings and brought along a brochure on the Round Abouts. Here in TV they are marked with arrows....right lane can proceed straight ahead or to the right, left lane can proceed straight ahead or continue around the circle. It's not that difficult. The accident I saw today appeared to be one that most likely will happen. The car was in the right lane and wanted to continue around the circle where someone was preparing to go straight ahead and exit the circle in the left lane. Cripes if I can figure it out, anyone can. One can run into a problem when they are in the left lane and must then get into the right to enter a gate. That's when we have to be alert, recite the mantra, "Please don't kill me, please don't kill me," and pray like crazy...
Old 01-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
I thought I'd posted something, but can't seem to find it now. Guess I only Previewed the post. You're right as far as I'm concerned, Lary. Sheriff Wolfe did a presentation at one of our Social Club meetings and brought along a brochure on the Round Abouts. Here in TV they are marked with arrows....right lane can proceed straight ahead or to the right, left lane can proceed straight ahead or continue around the circle. It's not that difficult. The accident I saw today appeared to be one that most likely will happen. The car was in the right lane and wanted to continue around the circle where someone was preparing to go straight ahead and exit the circle in the left lane. Cripes if I can figure it out, anyone can. One can run into a problem when they are in the left lane and must then get into the right to enter a gate. That's when we have to be alert, recite the mantra, "Please don't kill me, please don't kill me," and pray like crazy...
And use your signals to indicate where you intend to go.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
What laws are being broken by the people who use the round-a-bouts improperly? (Who determines the right and wrong way to use a round-about) There is no law that says one MUST stay in the right lane in order to exit at the first or second exit. Those guidelines are simply advise, and not the law from what I understand.

Police would be hard pressed to convince a judge that somebody did something illegally in a round-a-bout when the judge probably doesn't know how to use them either.

I have a personal observation about using the villages rotaries. So many people use them wrong that when one tries to use them correctly, they are putting them selves in the line of fire. It's sometimes easier to go with the flow, improper that it might be, than to try to do it right. Doing it the right way can cause an accident.
Therein lies the problem.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
There is no law that says one MUST stay in the right lane in order to exit at the first or second exit. Those guidelines are simply advise, and not the law from what I understand.
You're probably correct and just another example of hypocrisy. These roundabouts cause more accidents than speeding yet the goodie two-shoes (not referring to you explicitly TH) of the world say "lock em up if they speed"!

Screw around and not follow 'best practices' in the roundabouts? Oh, that's just advice!

For a refresher: http://www.districtgov.org/PdfView/P...27&ql=standard

It continues to completely baffle me how anyone can't remember the roundabout 'rules'. It should become second nature to any TV resident after one week! It's not any form of rocket science!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Who's job is it to decide if the public safety is in jeopardy, the motorist or law enforcement? The laws being made by elected officials who are entrusted with looking after public safety.

In the four years that I was a deputy sheriff, I had about 2 million law breakers tell me they were doing nothing wrong. I'm wondering if I should have said, "Oh, I'm sorry to have bothered you, please be on your way and I'll be more careful the next time."

jlk
TH, do the math, if you were on the force for 4 years how many law breakers could you have pulled over that said they were doing nothing wrong, I suspect the number is considerably less than 2 million....gn
Old 01-31-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
I have a 2010 EZ Go that I bought new! I've never done anything to it to speed it up but it goes 23 (actually 22.9) mph.What are my options?
Your car probably will go 100 mph. Now what do you do to slow it down?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
TH, do the math, if you were on the force for 4 years how many law breakers could you have pulled over that said they were doing nothing wrong, I suspect the number is considerably less than 2 million....gn

I think most everybody else knew that I was being facetious with that number. But thanks anyway for trying to point out a weakness in my story.

You know, It's amusing. As I was writing that, I knew you were going to jump in here and say something about it.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
These roundabouts cause more accidents than speeding yet the goodie two-shoes of the world say "lock em up if they speed"!
"goodie two-shoes" I'm wondering why it's necessary to assign a demeaning name to people who support enforcement of the law.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

Are they actually issuing tickets for "speeding" or are the tickets being issued for not registering an LSV since the cart exceeds the non LSV limits? I don't think there are any enforceable speed limits on the cart paths and I can't recall posts alleging tickets were issued for some sort of speed violation.

If so, there is no "leeway" involved, you get a ticket for non registered LSV which would be appropriate.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I know some cops and they usually say that they will give leeway to a highway speed of 9 mph over (in our area that would be 74 max). But they are more strict on smaller side roads.

In TV I would give golf carts leeway up to 23 mph.

I'd like them to concentrate more on reckless actions and maybe more education on round-a-bouts. What I mean is, if they see a bad roundabout move, pull the person over and explain what they did and how dangerous it is. Give them a warning (into the system so they can look it up if they stop them again). I personally think the round-a-bout moves are more dangerous than speeding down the straight away.
Couldn't agree more.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Gas or electric.?

If I had to guess, I would say the folks complaining about speeding golf carts are driving electric carts...maybe not 100%, but I'd think greater than 75%.

Am I wrong ????
Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
If I had to guess, I would say the folks complaining about speeding golf carts are driving electric carts...maybe not 100%, but I'd think greater than 75%.

Am I wrong ????
Uh-oh............here we go!!!

Bill
Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Uh-oh............here we go!!!

Bill
Yeah....maybe I better change my avatar!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Yeah....maybe I better change my avatar!
I laughed out loud......

Maybe tell people you just sold your new place and moved out of TV or something, too!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.