Lets' be careful----toss up question

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
It continues to completely baffle me how anyone can't remember the roundabout 'rules'. It should become second nature to any TV resident after one week! It's not any form of rocket science!
I saw a Smart car in the traffic circle near Savannah Center two or three weeks ago that was going the wrong way in the circle. He had stopped on the inside lane, and police were there trying to untangle the mess he made of the traffic. Smart car, but that doesn't mean the driver was smart. I still can't understand how someone can enter a traffic circle the wrong way, but there he was. I was glad to be in my golf cart that day, going 19.9 mph or thereabouts, btw.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandwk View Post
I saw a Smart car in the traffic circle near Savannah Center two or three weeks ago that was going the wrong way in the circle. He had stopped on the inside lane, and police were there trying to untangle the mess he made of the traffic. Smart car, but that doesn't mean the driver was smart. I still can't understand how someone can enter a traffic circle the wrong way, but there he was. I was glad to be in my golf cart that day, going 19.9 mph or thereabouts, btw.
Maybe they were from the UK .... It's easy to do, especially when you are accustomed to going around the other direction...
Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Yeah....maybe I better change my avatar!
A speedometer for your new avatar............falling out of my chair laughing!

Bill
Old 01-31-2011, 04:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
"goodie two-shoes" I'm wondering why it's necessary to assign a demeaning name to people who support enforcement of the law.
I don't think that's demeaning at all. Some people go by the letter of the law and I go by what makes common sense. I'm not a goodie two-shoes, I go by intent. If you think situations like Waldo speed traps are law enforcement then you can call yourself whatever you like. I think that's outright OVER enforcement. Stopping someone for going 40 in 35 on a straight away while driving safely with no one else around while people make stupid moves in round-abouts with impunity makes absolutely no sense. But some people still say "then they shouldn't speed".

But I apologize to anyone who has two good shoes. Let's change that to 'letter of the law' people.

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 01-31-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Gold member

I wonder if the letter-of-the-law people dutifully walk to the crosswalk every time they are in one of the town squares if they want to quickly go into a shop across the street. After all, J-walking is also against the law. Perhaps we should have several deputies patrolling the squares and cracking down on the J-walking miscreants. Since we seem to have sufficient police to crack down on golf carts going a couple of miles over the limit, we probably also have enough to keep our streets safe from J-walkers. Book'em Dano!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't know personally of anyone who received a ticket for fast cart driving.

The first of January they were out in force, parked everywhere, (the fuzz) maybe because of the snowbirds returning?

I think they are watching the real bad guys now.

Or...maybe I just haven't seen them.

Has anyone seen any over-policing LATELY?

AND the link to the correct way to drive a roundabout should be printed and given to anyone new, as a kindness. Thank you for it, Russ.

Here it is again.

http://www.districtgov.org/PdfView/P...27&ql=standard
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
I wonder if the letter-of-the-law people dutifully walk to the crosswalk every time they are in one of the town squares if they want to quickly go into a shop across the street. After all, J-walking is also against the law. Perhaps we should have several deputies patrolling the squares and cracking down on the J-walking miscreants. Since we seem to have sufficient police to crack down on golf carts going a couple of miles over the limit, we probably also have enough to keep our streets safe from J-walkers. Book'em Dano!
Demonizing people who believe that citizens should obey the laws doesn't further your argument. Traffic laws are established for the safety of the public. If it was left up to the public to decide what the limits are, there would be no limits.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM

People who complain about speeding tickets are often those who have been caught speeding.

Rather than accept personal responsibility, they try to lay the blame at everyone else's door.

So to all policemen out there - keep up the good work

and to all law-abiding citizens - you should be proud of yourselves.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Platinum member
Default Only In TV

The saying "If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk" holds credence. Saw a gentleman yesterday morning around 8:40 driving on the sidewalk near the road @ Colony Rec Center. He had a MI plate.

Go Bucks
Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
...........AND the link to the correct way to drive a roundabout should be printed and given to anyone new, as a kindness. Thank you for it, Russ.

Here it is again.

gg - That link was incomplete. Try this one:

Bill
Old 02-01-2011, 09:40 AM

Didn't take the time to read everbody's post but "Thank God" for police. They try to keep us safe. Where would we be without police and laws??
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
.....It continues to completely baffle me how anyone can't remember the roundabout 'rules'. It should become second nature to any TV resident after one week! It's not any form of rocket science!
The one essential rule that makes a roundabout work is to not enter the roundabout until both lanes are clear. If everyone followed that rule, you would never have a situation where a vehicle in the left lane crosses the path of one in the right lane.

The problem is that this rule is counterintuitive to what people are used to. When you merge onto a multilane highway and have a yield sign, do you wait for all lanes to be clear or just the right lane. For most people it would be the latter I’ll bet.

The only real solution is to rebuild the roundabouts to a single lane with a right lane for right turns only. I know this can be done in a way that would not impede tractor trailers either. Unfortunately, since these are county roads, that probably won’t happen.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Demonizing people who believe that citizens should obey the laws doesn't further your argument. Traffic laws are established for the safety of the public. If it was left up to the public to decide what the limits are, there would be no limits.
I didn't realize that pointing out hypocrisy was a form of demonization, but I guess it's consistent with the general theme of this thread: people have different views of things such as what constitutes dangerous behavior that requires enforcement or what is "demonization" versus pointing out an inconsistency.

Aren't J-walking laws established for the safety of the general public? Why are you selectively highlighting the issue of cracking down on one issue of public safety and not another?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post

Aren't J-walking laws established for the safety of the general public? Why are you selectively highlighting the issue of cracking down on one issue of public safety and not another?
There is no attempt at being selective. I think maybe you confused your thinking with mine. If they are guilty of Jay Walking then they should be charged accordingly.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
There is no attempt at being selective. I think maybe you confused your thinking with mine. If they are guilty of Jay Walking then they should be charged accordingly.
I guess this is the crux of our differing opinions: I believe that laws are essential for the maximization of public safety. As such and since enforcement of all laws equally in all situations would inevitably lead to some of the more serious situations with less enforcement while the police are spending time on the more benign situations.

I would hope that the police would use judgement as opposed to responding like robots - and in the case of J-walking they do, since if they really were cracking down on this illegal activity with equal force, they would have to have a trailer to hold the summons books for all the J-walking that regularly occurs at the town squares. But, since this activity really doesn't pose as great a threat to public safety, the police look the other way ... thankfully.

My view that is shared by others here is that stopping golf carts going a few miles over their designated maximum speed is akin to having a police presence to stop J-walking in the squares - there are far more serious threats to our public safety that this level of enforcement could be better used.

Others hold the opposite view, saying a law is a law and if it is violated it should be punished. My question to them is: would you really want the police writing tickets to people coming out of Ambrosia with their ice cream cones and walking across the street to the square without going up to the crosswalk?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.