Liberty Trike

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2020, 02:26 PM
Default Liberty Trike

Does anyone have a Liberty Trike that I could try out? I am very interested in purchasing one but would like to ride one first since you can only buy them online. There are weekly ads from the company in the paper. I can return it if I don't like it but have to pay shipping both ways. If you have one and are willing to let me ride it, call 352-613-1201 Sue. Thanks
Old 08-08-2020, 08:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Is it a trike like a toddler uses? Or a delta or tadpole trike?

I have seen several tadpoles, different brand though.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:18 PM
Veteran member

Liberty Electric Folding Tricycle | LibertyTrike.com

kathy
Old 08-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Platinum member

I am on my fourth electric bike and I have just received the parts to convert a tadpole trike to electric assist.

I would not buy this trike.

The specs reveal why. It is a 36 volt unit with an 8 amp hour battery. That is 2014 technology which has been largely replaced by 48 or 52 volt systems. The watt hours on that battery is 288, incredibly small, the standard is 500 to 672 watts.

With such a small battery this must have a 250 watt motor, again very small. Most now use 750 watt motors. It's a good thing as this doesn't have need for good brakes, this uses mechanical 160 mm brakes vice 180mm hydraulic brakes. Finally, at this price point it certainly has cadence sensors for pedal assist, not a torque sensor.

I know this makes little sense but you can Google those terms.

I certainly wanted to get an affordable eBike it was only after I wasted a bunch of money before I came to realize it is worth it to pay a little more

If you find another model I can do a spec review. Or do what my wife did, she bought the trike that she wanted and we are converting it to an electric bike.

I certainly am not a Lycra clad bike snob by any means, I hope this helps!
Old 08-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I am on my fourth electric bike and I have just received the parts to convert a tadpole trike to electric assist.

If you find another model I can do a spec review. Or do what my wife did, she bought the trike that she wanted and we are converting it to an electric bike.
Would be curious to know what trike your wife purchased and why. Also, are you using a kit to convert to electric or putting the necessary parts together yourself? Thanks.

k.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Would be curious to know what trike your wife purchased and why. Also, are you using a kit to convert to electric or putting the necessary parts together yourself? Thanks.

k.
HP Velotek, Gekko. German engineered, made in Taiwan.

The more expensive models are Taiwanese, vice Chinese. I have. Trident trike and the quality difference is pronounced. The HP folds better, it has hydraulic brakes, better intertubes. The available accessories are better, they have a brace which makes it easier to stand up if you need it a windshield and so on.

They do have a purpose built HP e+trike, it's over $6,000.

I bought a e-bike kit from Luna Cycles.com.

I did exhaust the local bike shops to see if they would add an eBike motor. Some were flat out rude such as the dealer in Floral City, most simply weren't interested to adding an eBike kit (Villages Cycles, etcetera).

Last edited by Toymeister; 08-11-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:20 PM
John41

trikes with one wheel in the front are notoriously unstable.
Closed Thread

Tags
trike, ride, liberty, shipping, ways

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.