Freeze Warning - What Plants to Protect?

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Sage
Default Freeze Warning - What Plants to Protect?

Happy New Year to all....

We are greeted this New Year's Day with a hard freeze warning for Wed night into Thurs am. As a relative Fla/TV newbie with landscaping that's only about 7 months old, I'm not sure how or what to protect from the cold. The following is a list of the plants, trees, and flowers I have....

Queen Palm, Hibiscus, Bottlebrush, knockout rose, blue daze, penta, lantana, butterfly bush, yesterday/today/tomorrow. Everthing is happily blooming right now...how will a hard freeze affect them and is there anything I can do to protect any of these?

Many thanks to the green thumbs out there for your advice.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Default Re: Freeze Warning - What Plants to Protect?

I'm not sure what plants need protection or not. I know queen palms don't unless they are real small. But even if you get some damage, don't dig them up, just cut them back and they will come back in a few weeks or months. If you have potted plants bring them in the garage but not into the house. They might have toads or frogs or chameliams living in the dirt and they will be jumping all over your house. I know potsetteas will freeze, so cover them or bring them in. I have some orchards and I will bring them in tonight. I know Home Depot and such have sheets and blankets to cover your plants with.Good luck but don't get discourage.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.