Life in Greater Brownwood vicinity?

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2018, 11:10 AM

I am moving into the Fenney area and looking forward to watching the growth around me. Cost a lot less to buy home.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
If you don't like the Fenney area don't move there. Not everyone wants the same things as you. I am tired of people thinking that just because they believe something everyone else should too.
Interesting, if not puzzling, that you found that implication in the original post.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:19 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Interesting, if not puzzling, that you found that implication in the original post.
I do not live in Fenney but I am tired of people slamming it just because it does not suit their needs. Many people are very happy with Fenney for all of the reasons that the OP finds undesirable.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran member

The houses are fine in the Fenny area, maybe cheaper. But where are the pickleball, tennis courts, pool tables and card-playing neighborhood rec centers? I could not find any. Perhaps all the above will be built someday, but right now you need to stick to archery and walk your dog. No championship golf yet, and the "putt and play" and "pitch and putt" golf that the developers are substituting for "real golf" is a joke. More houses, less land for golf. The 4 executive courses are nice, but they will get boring for the frequent golfer. If you are willing to wait 5 -10 years, the new areas may be the place for you.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:39 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I'm not going to bite.

You are the smart one.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
The houses are fine in the Fenny area, maybe cheaper. But where are the pickleball, tennis courts, pool tables and card-playing neighborhood rec centers? I could not find any. Perhaps all the above will be built someday, but right now you need to stick to archery and walk your dog. No championship golf yet, and the "putt and play" and "pitch and putt" golf that the developers are substituting for "real golf" is a joke. More houses, less land for golf. The 4 executive courses are nice, but they will get boring for the frequent golfer. If you are willing to wait 5 -10 years, the new areas may be the place for you.
I believe there are currently 4 Executive Courses there....the putt and play and pitch and putt are not substitutes but added variety. In fact, there are professional tournaments for what we call putt and play across the country. ESPN televised one this past summer. I understand you are a newbie, but I think you will be surprised by how quickly those amenities appear. Also, there are pickleball courts bocce, shuffleboard, corn toss, air gun range throughout. Fenney and Spanish Moss host club events and card games etc. There is a Championship Course coming Your estimate of 5 - 10 years is silly but if it works for you that's a good thing.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I believe there are currently 4 Executive Courses there....the putt and play and pitch and putt are not substitutes but added variety. In fact, there are professional tournaments for what we call putt and play across the country. ESPN televised one this past summer. I understand you are a newbie, but I think you will be surprised by how quickly those amenities appear. Also, there are pickleball courts bocce, shuffleboard, corn toss, air gun range throughout. Fenney and Spanish Moss host club events and card games etc. There is a Championship Course coming Your estimate of 5 - 10 years is silly but if it works for you that's a good thing.
JoMar is right. We've been here long enough to believe in amazing things unfolding.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

Quote:
There are Pickle Ball courts, card playing at the Rec. Center right at the entrance, there is Croquette, Lawn bowling, bag toss, shuffleboard, Bocce, outdoor exercise machines, sports pool, zero entry family pool, a bar and grille, indoor exercise room, meeting rooms, it's almost like a "real village" down here. The regional recreation center is under construction, as are the softball fields, RC boat racing pond, RC car racing track, soccer fields, another sports pool, ground has been broken for the country club golf course, there are more executive courses being built, the Pitch and Put will be open soon and it is not a substitute for "real golf", it is in addition to "real golf", and a great addition for those who are not capable of playing "real golf" and a great way to practice chipping which you can't do much of at a "real golf course". If you think anyone down here is being deprived, think again.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Bashing Fenny isn't funny anymore...…………...
Old 12-15-2018, 02:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Bashing Fenny isn't funny anymore...…………...
Very true Bogie! I love my neighborhood (Sanibel) and wouldn't want to be anywhere else, but the southern villages will soon have plenty to offer. As far as shopping and restaurants, you would have to be delusional to believe that corporations and entrepreneurs don't see the opportunity down there. There will be 50 thousand + people there soon and they will have money to spend and appetites to fill.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
You will find a lot of people moved here when LSL was newly built. Could care less about the squares. Since you seem to be happier with ready up and running area, it might be the best fit.
Then again average move here is 2.5 times. We are at move number 3. So you have choices
When we move, it'll be to our final owned property. After that, it'll be assisted living, a "home," or the grave. I realize moving is a hobby for some of you, but for others, we move when we have to, not when we want to. I don't want to move at all and now that we have to, MY first choice would be the desert, not Florida. But it's not my decision to make so no, I don't have choices. I can either move where my spouse chooses to move, or he says he'll miss me.

I certainly have input into this, but the decision is ultimately his. And so, I'm looking at all possible options so that I am able to be at peace with this process.

To those who criticize me so blatantly here, you can thank yourselves for my attitude.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
When we move, it'll be to our final owned property. After that, it'll be assisted living, a "home," or the grave. I realize moving is a hobby for some of you, but for others, we move when we have to, not when we want to. I don't want to move at all and now that we have to, MY first choice would be the desert, not Florida. But it's not my decision to make so no, I don't have choices. I can either move where my spouse chooses to move, or he says he'll miss me.

I certainly have input into this, but the decision is ultimately his. And so, I'm looking at all possible options so that I am able to be at peace with this process.

To those who criticize me so blatantly here, you can thank yourselves for my attitude.
I respect your deferring to your spouse, but he sounds a bit inflexible at best. As far as the people who criticize you, don't be too concerned, most of them don't mean to be harsh but nuance is hard on the interweb. You will find that the people you meet in TV will be almost universally positive, and if you give it a chance I think you will be glad this is where you landed. Best wishes!
Old 12-15-2018, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
JoMar is right. We've been here long enough to believe in amazing things unfolding.
.....because we have seen/watched the amazing things unfold (over the past 15 years)!!!!
Old 12-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Some people here in The Villages have moved five times here in The Villages. It is cheap and easy to move here, far less expensive than moving across the country. Homes sell quickly.

Some people here have had five spouses. I understand that is an expensive situation.

Some people here haven't lived in many places. Some people here have lived all over the world. I noticed a trend in the last seven or eight years of people moving here from other areas in Florida considered quite posh and expensive. I am not surprised. To me this place is just heavenly. We are in our second house in The Villages. It may not be the last. BUT.... I am hoping to keep my first husband, he is quite nice. In fact he is just wonderful.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Some people here in The Villages have moved five times here in The Villages. It is cheap and easy to move here, far less expensive than moving across the country. Homes sell quickly.

Some people here have had five spouses. I understand that is an expensive situation.

Some people here haven't lived in many places. Some people here have lived all over the world. I noticed a trend in the last seven or eight years of people moving here from other areas in Florida considered quite posh and expensive. I am not surprised. To me this place is just heavenly. We are in our second house in The Villages. It may not be the last. BUT.... I am hoping to keep my first husband, he is quite nice. In fact he is just wonderful.
What a nice thing to say.
Closed Thread

Tags
brownwood, villages, rest, life, area

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.