life for non drinking new resident

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2020, 10:23 AM
Platinum member
Default life for non drinking new resident

After years of reading the forums I finally convinced myself to seriously consider buying a home in the Villages. Despite all the alcohol related problems with domestic abuse and drunk driving I'm ready to give the Villages a try. To those that stay sober do you really get to enjoy the village squares, restaraunts(sp) and other amenities without a social life of alcohol and social drug use. Do you find neighborhoods up north or the middle more established and peaceful? Thanks for any replies.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
After years of reading the forums I finally convinced myself to seriously consider buying a home in the Villages. Despite all the alcohol related problems with domestic abuse and drunk driving I'm ready to give the Villages a try. To those that stay sober do you really get to enjoy the village squares, restaraunts(sp) and other amenities without a social life of alcohol and social drug use. Do you find neighborhoods up north or the middle more established and peaceful? Thanks for any replies.
LOL. I've never had more than a sip of champagne in five years living in various parts of TV. No interference with my social life. It's live-and-let-live here. Come on down!

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 01-06-2020, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Old 01-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
...Despite all the alcohol related problems with domestic abuse and drunk driving I'm ready to give the Villages a try...
The "problems" you speak of are no more prevalent in TV than anywhere else on the planet. Possibly even less so imho.

ToTV...and all forums for that matter...thrive on blowing "problems" far out of proportion. Nature of the beast (forums). If you move here and live your life the way you want to, you will not be bothered by the issues you mentioned.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

90% of crime in the area is from outside the bubble.
In the 20 years we have wintered here, we have never been troubled by 'a drunk.'
Sure there is the usual number of DUI's that any large populated area will always have.
But too imagine that the squares, and streets are full of rolling drunks, swigging from brown paper bags is pure fantasy.
The main problem is finding a space on the squares when a good group is playing!
Old 01-06-2020, 10:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Please please please set aside your pre-conceived thoughts of TV. On line sites tend show the dark side, just like anywhere else.

Come on down and see for your self.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
You're reading the wrong websites, if that's your take-away of life in the Villages.

On any given non-holiday-celebration night, there might be a few hundred people in the Square. Of those few hundred, a few dozen will be drinking. Of those few dozen, a handful or two will be drunk enough that their judgment is impaired. Of that handful or two, two or three will be bad enough that they really shouldn't drive. It is unlikely that those who should -not- drive as a result of being too impaired by alcohol, will drive anyway.

This is no different from any other venue where alcohol is served, but not the focus (meaning, it isn't a bar, but it has one) on a non-holiday-celebration night.

Other than marijuana (which is illegal recreationaly and legal medically) and rare random "oh shoot I already took one muscle relaxer for my back strain, and I just took another one by mistake too soon!" situation, there isn't much of a drug problem in the Villages at all. Are there people who abuse? Of course. That is true in every community that isn't a designated rehab facility.

But by and large, social drinking is nothing more than that: most people will have A drink, socially. An aperitif with their appetizer, a glass of wine with their chicken dinner, or a mug of beer with their wings.

In every community in this country that isn't "dry" you'll find people who congregate around the bar, sucking down beer after beer. They are the minority, there and here.

I enjoy a pina colada from time to time, but I've found that they are all made with "mix" in the Villages, so when I want one I make it at home. And I will generally just refrain from alcohol completely when I'm out. Not because I'm "sober" but because I'm not going to pay $7-10 for an inferior drink when I can make an awesome one at home for less than $2.

I also like Sangria, but the same thing. Mine's better. And every time I try to get Kahlua and milk, they use 1% or 2%, or the milk is sour. Blech. So I do without.

I never feel uncomfortable refraining from alcohol socially. No one ever tries to encourage me to drink alcohol, no one questions me when I say "no thanks I'd rather have water with lemon." I'm not even much of a soda drinker. I LIKE water with lemon. So that's what I usually drink when I'm out and to hell with anyone who has a problem with it
Old 01-06-2020, 11:44 AM

There are many people in The Villages that don't drink or can't drink because of illness or medications. They still go out and have fun.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
There are always a couple of Clowns disbursed at various locations throughout The Villages. Many people worked many years with the Smoking Jacket and The After Dinner Drink in Mind. They want it they earned it they deserve it they should have it as long as they aren't driving after they lifted a few.

I am one of the Squad of People who do not drink. Not today anyway and the others people drinking hasn't affected us negatively as of today. I think you can feel good about joining us. It's a great move. Welcome!

Del Webb Sun City AZ Promo The Beginning Part I - YouTube

Del Webb Sun City AZ Promo - The Beginning Part 2.wmv - YouTube

Enjoy!
Old 01-06-2020, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Don't forget were the STD capital
Old 01-06-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Don't forget were the STD capital
Aw...good times!
Old 01-06-2020, 01:47 PM

The Villages is a golfing community with an alcohol problem. 🤗

I don’t drink or golf and am having a blast living in the Bubble.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:47 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwguy View Post

totally
Old 01-06-2020, 01:51 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I know Villagers who lead wonderful social lives without imbibing in alcoholic beverages. One can engage in activities of all sorts without drinking or toking for that matter.

Now all that being said alcoholism among the elderly remains hush-hush and not widely recognized and treated. Some became alcoholics long before they retired; others became so over the years after they stopped working and had plenty of leisure time to drink on their hands. The Villages obviously provides ample opportunities to indulge in alcohol at many venues. Drinks are unbelievably cheap at bars and restaurants in TV and happy hours start earlier than anywhere I have ever lived before. In all fairness my guess is one would find a lot of drinking at any retirement community be it TV, a Sun City or otherwise.

Alcoholism in the Elderly - American Family Physician

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 01-06-2020, 02:14 PM
Sage

Alcohol consumption, is a personal preference--we limit ourselves to two cocktails, when we are dining out !!!!--way too much exposure if something goes wrong--The Admirals niece used to be a bartender, she doesn't touch alcohol at all, limits her drinks to Rose's lime juice & soda--in TV, there are stupid drunks who make the headlines when they screw up--but thankfully they are in the minority
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, social, alcohol, life, village

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.