Someone else opinion

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Default Someone else opinion

I found this post on another board which is not too popular:
S Anderson wrote:
By all means move to The Villages if you are white, old and are very well off and don't mind being ripped off. I am here helping my parent who made the mistake of buying here. The construction is shoddy using sub standard materials and poor wormanship. They do a good job of making the surface look good but underneath its a mess. I am an electrican by trade with my own company and I would fire any of my guys that would do work like I have discovered in my parents home. I wish they had let me know that they were buying here so I could have advised them not to.
The vinyl siding looks like it was done by teenagers. Do yourself a favor and avoid this place like the plague.
Agree, I have helped build a few houses out there, and the company I worked for was all about quantity not quality. I would not even think about wasting money in the Villages.
Does any one have an opinion on this??? It is scaring.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Someone else opinion

I don't agree that the construction is shoddy. While I don't have a career in homebuilding to look back on, I'm pretty handy and can see problems many others would miss. Everything in my house was really well done. I couldn't find problems!

I'm guessing the post originates in a sort of "sour grapes" vein.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

Boy is that negative. Well, I'm not an electrician -- nor is my husband -- so not sure how much weight our experience carries but here it is anyway.

We bought an older (1993) CY villa north of 466 last spring. We followed the inspector around and asked him a ton of questions. He did find a few minor things wrong, leaky faucet, kitchen cabinet hinge loose, that type of thing. Otherwise he said the villa was in great shape. Then this summer my son-in-law was crawling around in the attic seeing whether or not he could move the cable to another wall. We call him our man with tools -- not a licensed anything, but lots of experience remodeling, restoring. He thought our place was in fine shape.

Guess if you are concerned, you could buy a resale and make it contingent on a thorough inspection. We are very pleased.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Sage

Remember - Forum boards are just that - FORUMS!

They are open to all sort of viral marketing techniques. That post could be a plant from a rival 55+ community near TV (take your pick, there are many of them). As always do your homework before making any purchase. Have an independent home inspector look at your intended purchase before you buy. Talk to the prospective neighbors. Etc. Etc.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 PM

That, my friend, is something that will be difficult for you to understand. LOL
Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac
What's "wormanship"? :joke:
It's how you ship worms. :redface:
Old 11-14-2007, 06:20 PM

having been in the construction business fo about 25 years and a const super for 10 years building commerical buildings I think the villages do a great job. They have a few problems, but they will take care of them.
drd
Old 11-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Sage

That was the previously unknown fourth ship of Columbus:

The Nina, The Pinta, The Santa Marie and The Worman ships!

It sank before it got to America.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Platinum member

Efrahin should know that there has been quite a lot of controversy this summer over "shoddy workmanship" on vinyl-sided new construction. It remains a bone of contention, particularly with the POA (Property Owners Association), which frankly seems to delight in taking a negative position on lots of "issues" in TV.
However, I have heard not a murmur about the quality of block/stucco homes. When I moved into mine in Jan '05, having been fortunate enough to build to my specs, I found a hand-full of minor problems in the first week, all of which were taken care of by the end of that week! Since then, not a single problem with quality at all!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

We also bought in '05, a stucco courtyard villa and have had no real problems that weren't resolved pretty quickly. We never considered siding as we wanted to have as little chance for termites as possible.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles59
It's how you ship worms. :redface:
I can't stop laughing!!! You're toooo much!!!
Village of Hemmingway
Old 11-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy D
I can't stop laughing!!! You're toooo much!!!
?Glad you enjoyed it! ;D
Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 AM
Veteran member

Efrahin you are do very wrong with your opinion of the people who live in the Villages.
I am guessing the average age now is 60. I don't believe that many of us are RICH OLD WHITE FOLKS with nothing to do with our money.

You have your nerve just because you or your mom have had a bad experience to lump everyone into one large pot!!

My husband and I worked very hard and were very fortunate to have pension plans that allowed us to retire young enough to enjoy the rest of our lives. We bought a courtyard villa in our price range and love it.

If you are so unhappy about this place then put it up for sale and go elsewhere. I feel sorry for your mom having to listen to you gripe and whine all the time.

We love it here and wouldn't leave. Fortunately, there are more of us who are happy than not.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:10 AM

Fran.. he didn't write it..he found it written on another board.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:35 AM
Veteran member

Maybe he's one of the Shirk Brothers from the movie The Money Pit.

Seriously, there are some very junvenile-acting lurkers on some boards who seem somewhat mentally challenged who snipe with negative comments every chance they get. Tip of the week: Learn how to identify and ignore aggressively negative postings. And learn how to find reputable sources to check things out for yourself.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.