Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Life in the Villages--is it as great as everyione seems to say it is? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/life-villages-great-everyione-seems-say-8861/)

Boomer 03-02-2008 07:13 PM

Re: Life in the Villages--is it as great as everyione seems to say it is?

Quote:

Originally Posted by the great fumar
sunnysue Hoosiers club is very active down here....Nieghbors are from Kokomo and they are gone all the time with club doings.....We are from Michigan and so they don't talk to us much..........However I stuck a picture of Bobby Knight in my window and now they acknolledge that we are here.

Go Blue fumar ;D ;D ;D

fumar,

Do you by any chance have any scoop on the Ohio clubs? I hear the Buckeyes have now split into two clubs. What was that about?

Boomer

JohnN 03-02-2008 07:43 PM

ouma,
In 2007, we stayed at a local hotel for 3 days/2 nights while doing other florida stuff and fell in love with TV. We did the trolley tour first, met a sales rep and saw a few homes, then we just tooled around the squares and neighborhood (and nearby community/streets) on our own. This year we're focusing here and spending a week on the lifestyle preview program.

Muncle 03-02-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
fume,

Do you by any chance have any scoop on the Ohio clubs? I hear the Buckeyes have now split into two clubs. What was that about?

Boomer

The clubs was simply too big, so they split, kinda like an amoeba. Those who are round on the end stayed in one club while those hi in the middle created a new organ.

Or it might have been a geographic thing -- down here, not in Ohio.

MikeH 03-02-2008 09:53 PM

We've lived in TV for almost three years. Lived on East Coast for 11 years before moving here. Difference? People seemed to move to the Coast to wait to die. Move here to LIVE! and LIVE! and LIVE some more!

Boomer 03-02-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muncle
The clubs was simply too big, so they split, kinda like an amoeba. Those who are round on the end stayed in one club while those hi in the middle created a new organ.

Or it might have been a geographic thing -- down here, not in Ohio.

Thanks Muncle,

I figured it was probably a really big club. We Buckeyes can't stay off of I-75 S., trying to outrun those Michiganders.

So they split like an amoeba, huh. I sure hope they are not running around TV with their pseudopods hanging out of their golfcarts.

Boomer

judylou 03-03-2008 12:10 AM

The Ohio Buckeye Club is one of the best clubs here. They hold a monthly meeting with a great potluck and entertainment every month. They also have events such as boccie golf, mini golf, bowling, eating out as a group, etc. We have really enjoyed it. The president is a real go-getter and he has lots of plans for the future.

Villages Kahuna 03-03-2008 01:13 AM

To Sum It Up

You received a lot of good answers to your question about how much people like living here in The Villages. With a little searching, you can find all kinds of other information right here on TOTV. But maybe the best description of The Villages was that of my olderst son after he and his family visited here over the holidays. As we were enjoying Rocky & The Rollers at Lake Sumter town square, I asked my son if he saw why we liked The Villages so much. His answer was a classic...

[font=Verdana]Dad, what's not to like? The Villages is like going away to college but never having to go to class.

That about says it all, doesn't it?

chuckster 03-03-2008 01:16 AM

Good answer, have to agree, in fact a great answer..... :agree: :agree:

gfmucci 03-03-2008 02:30 AM

My wife and I traded a planned idyllic retirement spot in the mountains of North Carolina - a college town with lots of artsy stuff going on - for The Villages. We are so excited and glad about our change of plans.

jadebox 03-03-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
fumar,

Boomer

There is also a Tri-County Ohio State Alumni Club. Die Hard fans who are not Alumni are welcome and is open to all in the Tri-County. Most active during football season when we get together to watch the games. There is a picinec, tailgating at the polo grounds and more things planned.

chelsea24 03-06-2008 04:10 AM

I fell in love with The Villages on our first visit and so did my husband. I have to say I knew we'd love it, and now that we've been here for about 4 months, it has exceeded our expectations. The first month, yes, you feel lost and alone. You've just been transplanted. But, in just 4 short months, we've made so many friends, that I know will be friends for life and have joined clubs and activities. And is isn't just because we're a couple. My husband and I have very different tastes in activities and we both go off to different clubs and that just double's the friends we make. I've made many many girlfriends through all the activities TV has to offer. My husband's cousin was recently divorced and now she's coming down to see it because there is so much for a single person to do here. You'll be shocked.

samhass 03-06-2008 04:16 AM

You won't regret it.

ote author=gfmucci link=topic=1023.msg40121#msg40121 date=1204529458]
My wife and I traded a planned idyllic retirement spot in the mountains of North Carolina - a college town with lots of artsy stuff going on - for The Villages. We are so excited and glad about our change of plans.
[/quote]

Rokinronda 03-10-2008 05:42 AM

Over 3 years here, full time, and WE LOVE THIS PLACE!!! We've seen many others and there is nothing even close to this Paradise!! Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam.............................Dreams do come true!

jeffy 03-10-2008 01:17 PM

Is it as great as everyone says. HECK NOOOOOO. It is ten times better ;D
/
Jeffy

griff 03-10-2008 01:29 PM

A couple of years ago my buddy and his wife announced that they were buying a house in the Villages. I couldn't believe my ears!!! What could he (they) be thinking?? I told him "man don't move down there, that place is going to make you old". His response was "Griff, it's not what you think, I can't even explain it - you have to come and see this place - it's awesome".
Well, a year ago my mother-in-law passed away and our friends invited my wife to come down to the Villages for a week to relax. After her return home, all she talked about was the villages. Now we are talking about a woman who 1. would never move to Florida, 2. never live away from the ocean, and 3. would never, never live in a retirement community. I said to my wife "is it really that nice"? She says "it's all they say it is and MORE"!!
This past new years my wife and I came to the Villages to visit our friends. WOW!! I was blown away!! I apologized to my buddy about my opinion of the Villages and my wife and I recently sign papers to buy a Court Yard Villa. Now, I can't wait to come back and enjoy the good life.
Now, my friends here at home are asking "Griff what can you be thinking"?? My answer "You've gotta see this place, I can't even describe it"!