Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Life in the Villages--is it as great as everyione seems to say it is? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/life-villages-great-everyione-seems-say-8861/)

njgranny 03-10-2008 01:41 PM

Re: Life in the Villages--is it as great as everyione seems to say it is?

Griff - When you describe your wife, you're describing exactly how I felt - UNTIL I saw the Villages. I think my kids are astounded that I'd want to move there. My husband has wanted to get to the warm weather for some time now, but I always said no. Now I can't wait until we sell our house and get to the Villages.

I don't think you can describe it accurately to anyone - they have to see it for themselves.

griff 03-10-2008 02:16 PM

njgranny,

We've always lived at the shore and I never thought that I would live anywhere else either. But heh, there are plenty of lakes around and the beach isn't that far away to plan a day trip. I'll have a harder time than my wife because of my roots where I live now. I also think I'll have a hard time moving away from the kids and grandkids, but for now I think we are going to do the snowbird thing. I really like the people that I've met at the Villages. Most seem very friendly and that means a lot to me. I'm a real people person and can't stand snotty, rude people. Bottom line... life is too short!!

Are you going to live at the Villages full time? I think we will eventually, our friends say they actually start to resent going back north for the summer months because they love the Villages so much.

nONIE 03-10-2008 02:41 PM

Life in the villages is unexplainable for sure. I, on many occassions have tried to tell people how wonderful it is and they just look at me with a pained expression on their face as if to say , Poor Nonie she has finally lost her mind. I cant begin to tell you how frustrating this is to me, so if anyone has just the right words to throw at these people who feel so sorry for me, PLEASE, bring em on!

If this is insanity, I dont ever want to be cured!!

njgranny 03-10-2008 04:06 PM

Griff,

We do plan to live there full-time. The only thing we won't be happy about is leaving the grandkids. However, as they get older, they're so into their own activities that we have to plan when we can see them now and they're only 9 and 10 and 12.

Also, hopefully, they'll visit.

burkem 04-03-2008 07:31 PM

My husband and I have been to the Villages about 8 times now. Visited our friends from NY (who moved there in Jan. 06.) in Sept. 06 and May of 07 - loved it and bought our own Courtyard Villa in July 07. Didn't really plan to buy right now, but the deals were really great. We have not regreted it!! We haven't retired yet, still live in PA, but try to get down there every 6 to 8 weeks, even if it is for a long weekend. We just love the place and the people. Have found everything to be so convenient and the people really friendly. Can't wait for the day that we will be there for good.

Sidney Lanier 04-09-2008 03:09 AM

'Unexplainable' is a good way to put it. We came on Labor Day last year to visit close friends who had just moved here, and by the following day we sat down and began looking around with a salesperson! It suddenly struck me that 'this IS the rainy day'--you know, that day we're always saving for that sadly too often never comes. We bought in October, closed at the end of November, spent two weeks here around the holidays, and are now finishing up two months and have to head north for two months before we can get back. (We are snowbirds.) But in two months we feel at home, we love the ease of the lifestyle, we've made wonderful friends that naturally will evolve into closer friendships in time, and we find clubs and activities conveniently available to us in a setting that, at the risk of sounding trite, is too beautiful for words! My parents had retired to south Florida some 35 years ago, and my thought was always 'great for them but not for me.' Well, 'now I are one'.... Without a doubt we've 'let the good times roll!'

gfmucci 04-09-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonie
Life in the villages is unexplainable for sure. I, on many occassions have tried to tell people how wonderful it is and they just look at me with a pained expression on their face as if to say , Poor Nonie she has finally lost her mind. I cant begin to tell you how frustrating this is to me, so if anyone has just the right words to throw at these people who feel so sorry for me, PLEASE, bring em on! If this is insanity, I dont ever want to be cured!!

My wife refers to TV as "an adult Disney World." I refer to it as the best, most successful active adult planned community in the nation.

njgranny 04-09-2008 04:25 PM

That was exactly my thought when I saw it - adult Disney World. It's hard to explain it adequately to someone who hasn't seen it.

Muncle 04-09-2008 04:37 PM

I had a friend visit last year. He'd seen the ads and the video. On the ride from the airport, I said, "You think you know all about TV. You think you're ready for it. Before you leave, you're going to say to me, "I don't believe this place!". "No," he replied. "I understand the place. I know what to expect. I know it's impressive." Three days later, we were having breakfast at the Veranda and he turned to me. "Ya, know, I just don't believe this place!"

chelsea24 04-10-2008 03:49 AM

I fall more in love with TV everyday. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

nanci2539 04-10-2008 03:56 PM

We just got back on Sunday from a few days at TV and a few days at Disney with my granddaughter.

We took my daughter, son in law and granddaughter for a tour last Friday. They saw the video and thought they had a pretty good idea on what TV was all about.

After a tour of Sumter Landing and a few of the golf courses, my son in law turned and said "wow"; I can't believe this place! They said it was so much bigger and better than what the video showed

My granddaughter tapped my arm (she's 7) so I bent down and she whispered "grandma, can I move here with you".

I think that says it all. We will be passing papers at the end of May and renting for a few months while we look for a home. As sad as it is for me to leave my family and grandkids (I have two others, grandsons who are 6 and 2); I am excited and nervous, all at the same time!

samhass 04-10-2008 04:06 PM

Nancy, that's funny. My 7 yo granddaughter says the same thing. She's ready to move right in with Grammy and Granddad!!! I asked if she would miss her parents. She said "Yes, but we can call them." She spent 3 weeks with us last summer and did not want to leave. We try to have her down here several times a year and we go back up to Pa to see her. As I said before, all the grands want to live here...skip the whole college/work scene and go straight to retirement!!!

nanci2539 04-10-2008 05:05 PM

That makes me feel better - I am going to miss them so much. All three are such a big part of our lives. When I think about moving and that's coming up fast; I get weepy.

Vikings 04-12-2008 02:44 AM

My wife and I visited The Villages in November and were amazed at the place. We looked at a few other Over 55 Communities that were nice, but didn't have the overall attraction and type of lifestyle. I brought my married 37 yr. old son with me in March to show him. He was so taken with The Villages that HE WANTED TO MOVE THERE! Of course, he'll have to wait a few more years, but he's looking foward to visiting us if we make the move.
We are originally from NY, but have lived in Minneapolis for 10 years. Although we're getting to the point where we could do without the long winters, we'd have to trade it for the long hot summers. Like most of you, we also have a couple of grandkids, 5 and 7, who we'll miss, but as they get older they'll be into other activities and Grandma & Gramps won't quite have the same appeal. I agree with the others, that in the two short experiences we had there, everyone we met did seem very friendly. Are there any negatives, like hidden fees/costs? Hopefully, we will become residents within the year and will see you all in the Square for Rocky & The Rollers! :)

mfp509 04-12-2008 10:38 AM

I am a single female, have been living here for 5 years, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I wouldn't trade this for anything. A friend of mine started a single women's club a couple of years ago for women who just want to have friends to do things with and not be looking for a relationship. It started with 45 women and now is about 200 members. We do all sorts of things. A group is going to Homosassa Springs today. We schedule dinners, movies, kayaking, bowling, miniature golf, shuffleboard, pickleball, shopping, day trips to the zoo, Tampa Bay baseball games - I can't even think of everything. Plus, there are all sorts of activities in TV a single woman can do - you just have to be assertive and do it. Sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day for what I want to do. I was lonely as hell when I lived in CT - TV has opened up a whole new life for me!! My family has said this is the happiest they have ever seen me.