Lifelong Learning Center

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy Chips View Post
Not to split hairs, but if you know in advance that you can only be here for 182 days per year, then you are making a personal choice based on those rules, correct?
Sure.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromAroundHere View Post
Being a part-time resident is a personal choice. Being disabled usually is not.
I don't believe I said anything about personal choices. I did say Schwarz was asking for more services than others that pay the same amount of HOA fees. This was in response to Schwarz's statement (in the biased article) that he is getting less services than the people that are not disabled.

If you want to discuss personal choices: Why didn't he move to one of the several retirement communities that specialize in deaf residents? Why did he litigated prior to trying the interpreter the LLC offered?

Do you believe he was drawn here by the entertainment at the squares that he can't hear? Do you belive he was drawn here for the social life that he can't hear? Do you believe he was drawn here to take classes at the LLC?

I believe he was drawn here to ruin the happiness that others were capable of experiencing. No amount of interpreters will change that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Platinum member

I have two questions for discussion. Well, maybe the second is more "tongue in cheek", but still a legitimate question.
1. It has been reported the Villages district government is looking into operation the LLC and reopening. I am assuming the district will comply with the ADA requirement to provide interpreters for the hearing impaired for all the classes. The cost to do this has been reported to be in excess of $300,000 per year. Will you as a user of the LLC be willing to pay higher fees to cover this cost? Will you want to see a portion of your amenity fee be directed to the LLC to cover the cost of interpreters?
2. If there is a language class such as beginning Spanish, do you really need to translate Spanish into sign? Isn't sign language universal?
Since I asked the question, I will give my thoughts. Until the lawsuit is settled, I would not want The Villages operating the LLC. The lawyers and plaintiffs filing the suit are looking for deep pockets. The Villages have deep pockets! Right now, based on current rulings, only the LLC is culpable. Let's not give the plaintiffs a new target. Also, I would not want amenity fees going towards the LLC. Especially if it remains open to the general public.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
but interesting that closed captioning was ok back then, but speech to text is not ok now. the technology has to have improved a great deal since 2012.
Speech to text has never achieved the same degree of clarity as closed captioning to avoid confusing text. Just think how confused your Siri gets when you try to talk to her in the car with the radio going, for instance. She can't distinguish between you and the radio very well. I can see how speech to text did not work well in the classroom.

If they ever really brought the quality and accuracy of speech to text up to par, many closed captioners would be out of a job.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Speech to text has never achieved the same degree of clarity as closed captioning to avoid confusing text. Just think how confused your Siri gets when you try to talk to her in the car with the radio going, for instance. She can't distinguish between you and the radio very well. I can see how speech to text did not work well in the classroom.

If they ever really brought the quality and accuracy of speech to text up to par, many closed captioners would be out of a job.
You bring up a good point.

I'll bet there a number of folks who don't realize, that there are real live bodies typing in the closed captioning.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:55 AM
Default Lifelong Learning Center

The Villages cannot rewrite the laws of the land. There are laws in place that the government has seen fit to pass to enable the handicapped to live as full and complete a life as everyone else. The following is one of those laws. The real issue at hand is not with the deaf community but with The Villages since they refuse to comply with these laws.

https://www.accreditedlanguage.com/.../when-is-sign.../
When Is Sign Language Interpreting Required By Law? - Accredited…
ACCREDITEDLANGUAGE.COM
Old 12-13-2016, 08:16 AM

Two possible solutions:

Raise the fees to comply with the statutes.

The Villages is rich in experienced professionals from all walks of life; any volunteers that can do sign language out there?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Platinum member

all I know is that my phone writes better text messages for me from my talking to it rather than my trying to type it. Was in a house last nite where the woman had a phone that showed what the person was saying in real time and it was perfect.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:00 AM

Does anyone have information relative to the suit itself. Copies, where filed, attorneys involved, etc.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgcetm View Post
Does anyone have information relative to the suit itself. Copies, where filed, attorneys involved, etc.

This has that information--
SCHWARZ v. THE VILLAGES CHARTER SCHOOL, INC. | Case No. 5:12-cv-177-Oc-34PRL. | Leagle.com.

The Judge in the lower level Federal case in Ocala is MARCIA MORALES HOWARD, District Judge.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Sage

This is the point where compliance makes a major departure from common sense. If this was UCF, or a local Tech school or something people actually needed to enter a trade or profession, the various communication options would make sense. Here, today, in this case it makes no sense to deprive 100,000 people of something they may want to try because 20 people are not able to. If you are physically or mentally challenged, and you needed these courses to survive, then you probably have moved to the wrong community, because the few got greedy, everybody loses. Nowhere in our constitution does it say that 100% of the people have to be 100% satisfied 100% of the time. Suck it up and move on.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:06 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
This is the point where compliance makes a major departure from common sense. If this was UCF, or a local Tech school or something people actually needed to enter a trade or profession, the various communication options would make sense. Here, today, in this case it makes no sense to deprive 100,000 people of something they may want to try because 20 people are not able to. If you are physically or mentally challenged, and you needed these courses to survive, then you probably have moved to the wrong community, because the few got greedy, everybody loses. Nowhere in our constitution does it say that 100% of the people have to be 100% satisfied 100% of the time. Suck it up and move on.

Not only is it not in the constitution, the LLLC is not in your purchase and sale agreement. Any amenity which is not in writing can be here today and gone tomorrow.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:12 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Not only is it not in the constitution, the LLLC is not in your purchase and sale agreement. Any amenity which is not in writing can be here today and gone tomorrow.
That is true, BUT, any resident that is here today can be gone tomorrow. Therefore cancelling one of the most popular amenity is not good for business or retention of residents..

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 12-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

With all respect to the now dead Lifelong Learning College where I learned much about painting and drawing, it did have a huge amount of what I thought were far out subjects on the curriculum. I never wanted to learn more about my Zodiac sign, or how to take herbs and avoid the doctor or learn how color in my home can change my mood.

Now those weren't on there but there were some head shaking courses offered. (to me anyway) Along with some that were very interesting to many.

The valid courses, offered and filled year after year, taught by tried and true teachers will still find a way to be taught, I really, REALLY believe that. Nan Klein had classes in her home for awhile..

When a door has been shut we don't have to jump off the bridge.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
With all respect to the now dead Lifelong Learning College where I learned much about painting and drawing, it did have a huge amount of what I thought were far out subjects on the curriculum. I never wanted to learn more about my Zodiac sign, or how to take herbs and avoid the doctor or learn how color in my home can change my mood.

Now those weren't on there but there were some head shaking courses offered. (to me anyway) Along with some that were very interesting to many.

The valid courses, offered and filled year after year, taught by tried and true teachers will still find a way to be taught, I really, REALLY believe that. Nan Klein had classes in her home for awhile..

When a door has been shut we don't have to jump off the bridge.
Some of the courses did seem to belong somewhere other than a high school classroom but maybe now they can find a more proper place to have these.
Closed Thread

Tags
center, learning, lifelong

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.