Lifelong Learning Center

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2016, 11:37 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
I am retiring this summer and have planned to move to The Villages for several years. However, the LLC was always a very important part of the reason I was moving there. Have there been any new developments? Do you think that this issue will be resolved and they will reopen?
Maybe-- if either:
1. the developer decides that enough people like yourself will not buy houses here if the LLC does not reopen, and the plaintiffs drop their unreasonable demands; or
2. the defendants win the lawsuit.

But don't count on it.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
The appeal hearing was supposed to take place in Atlanta yesterday. Does anyone know what the 32 plaintiffs were appealing?
Or the result of the Appeal Hearing?
Old 12-18-2016, 02:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I sat down this morning to read the 75 pages of the LLC thread, with a bag of popcorn. No pun intended, I received a tin of Garrett's popcorn from Chicago. Looks like 32 people have removed the rights of 18,000 to take classes,.

There are some who are thinking of not moving here because of this. I get it change is hard to accept, but if the LLC was the only reason you were moving, you would be losing out on many things.

We bought our first home in April of 2010, and no I have not taken a class at LLC. But I have gone to the squares, shopped eaten at restaurants inside the bubble and out, made close friends, sat by the pool to read a book, and always in awe of the ever changing of the landscape, beautiful flowers, and plants.

This is in my opinion one of the cleanest well kept places to live. Like the developers or not they do a great job to tend to over 40 square miles. Walking, riding a bike, or in your cart, or car, doesn't it just make you smile how beautiful it is.

There are many things to do here, if the LLC closes for good then I would just find something else to take up my time.

I do not worry about things I can not change.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:51 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon View Post
I am retiring this summer and have planned to move to The Villages for several years. However, the LLC was always a very important part of the reason I was moving there. Have there been any new developments? Do you think that this issue will be resolved and they will reopen?

Why don't you come down and rent for a few months? No need to make a commitment by buying a home right away. Home prices seemed to have stabilized and, in some cases, dropped. Take your time.

There's so much to do that you may never miss the LLC. I've taken many classes through the LLC that I've thoroughly enjoyed but there are many, many other choices.

I don't think the LLC will ever reopen. If I didn't already own, I'd probably hold off to see if there are any other adverse effects stemming from the lawsuits that adversely affect residents. Namaste.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:12 AM

Sounds like mismanagement on LC part. Litigation 8 years? That had to be a whole lot more expensive than whatever was needed for ADA. And not recognizing the value of their contributions to the villages without making the issue public to hear alternate resolutions? ..........Stupid
Old 12-18-2016, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamblu View Post
Sounds like mismanagement on LC part. Litigation 8 years? That had to be a whole lot more expensive than whatever was needed for ADA. And not recognizing the value of their contributions to the villages without making the issue public to hear alternate resolutions? ..........Stupid
Poor management. You have all these people in the Villages with expertise in so many areas-- law and interpreting using sign language for instance-- and rather than bringing the community into help solve the problem, they just manage to anger many of them.

They can still do this if they want as long as they meet the reasonable accommodations of the American Disability Act. There does seem to be some rules and regulations that go too far for business in the ADA but the Villagers could also have helped with getting these modified.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

I would like to thank mr schwartz and his posse for a job well done --- i understand you are a lawyer. Does the court system provide special assistance for you at a trial ???
Old 12-18-2016, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the LLLC has offered pretty much every accommodation that has been requested and still it was not enough. These people are after money. And if they break down and pay them, it will leave The Villages open to all kinds of nuisance suits in the future.
I think that it's great that they took a stand.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Not in litigation for 8 years....suit filed 3 years ago. According to the LLC, they tried for 8 years to satisfy these people, to no avail.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 12-18-2016, 10:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the LLLC has offered pretty much every accommodation that has been requested and still it was not enough. These people are after money. And if they break down and pay them, it will leave The Villages open to all kinds of nuisance suits in the future.
I think that it's great that they took a stand.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 12-18-2016, 11:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
I agree with your characterization of the plaintiffs.

However, the Developer's decision to close the LLC, as I have explained previously, will not end the lawsuit. It is a shame that the Developer's newspaper, The Daily Sun, has chosen not to fully disclose the Developer's rationale for the closing-- just as it was totally silent for years on the lawsuit and now has not reported on plaintiffs' recent appeal. Why do Villagers have to rely on this forum for news?
Old 12-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
I agree with your characterization of the plaintiffs.

However, the Developer's decision to close the LLC, as I have explained previously, will not end the lawsuit. It is a shame that the Developer's newspaper, The Daily Sun, has chosen not to fully disclose the Developer's rationale for the closing-- just as it was totally silent for years on the lawsuit and now has not reported on plaintiffs' recent appeal. Why do Villagers have to rely on this forum for news?

If the developer had put the word out, The Villages' sales people would be aware of it and wouldn't be able to tout the LLLC as an added benefit.

Last edited by janmcn; 12-18-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
If the developer had put the word out, The Villages' sales people would be aware of it and wouldn't be able to tout the LLLS as an added benefit.
NEVER EVER heard anything from any sales people on Lifelong Learning College. BE FAIR.

And to be further fair...It wasn't what I thought it would be...more of a true place of real learning. It had a lot of foolish courses on things like Zodiac Signs and herbs and stuff. Even though I personally learned a lot in the art courses taught by Villagers.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:47 PM

We just bought a home in Osceola Hills last month, so I am new to TV. But I have been reading TOTV posts for new months now, especially recently about LLC. I was at a regional rec center and overheard village workers talking about the plaintiffs, comparing them to Muslims. I hope this isn't a sign of the bigotry I will confront when we finally move down. Personally, one of my negatives of TV is that it is very homogeneous, unlike the real world. Here's to meeting all the wonderful, unbiased people that live in this beautiful community.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
NEVER EVER heard anything from any sales people on Lifelong Learning College. BE FAIR.

And to be further fair...It wasn't what I thought it would be...more of a true place of real learning. It had a lot of foolish courses on things like Zodiac Signs and herbs and stuff. Even though I personally learned a lot in the art courses taught by Villagers.
The Villages Lifelong Learning College

It is the marketing of the Villages by the Developer. And some of these courses were what the community wanted based on what kind of expertise is in the Villages.
Closed Thread

Tags
center, learning, lifelong

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.