Light Switch with blue dot, what does it do?

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2020, 06:58 PM
Default Light Switch with blue dot, what does it do?

Hello All,
My wife and I are new to the area and bought a 17 year old Gardenia in Briar Meadow near 42 this past spring. One of the light switches in the kitchen has a blue dot on it and I just figured out it controls the outlets on top of the cabinets. Nice set up! I just wish I had known about it earlier.

Anyway, on the back wall there are four switches by the sliding door that open to the Lanai. 1 for outside wall lights 2 for ceiling fans and 1 with a blue dot that I can't figure out what it controls. I may find out eventually figure it out but I hope someone on here can chime in and save me some time. I thought it might be the outlets on in the Lanai but no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:15 PM

Our 2010 built house has red dots but the one by the patio door along with one at the junction of the entryway and living area are linked to one of the two sockets in our living area floor.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Our Gardenia has a similar setup, (4 switches), but we have one with a red dot that controls the top half of an indoor receptacle.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Our 2010 built house has red dots but the one by the patio door along with one at the junction of the entryway and living area are linked to one of the two sockets in our living area floor.
That is it!! Thanks! Surprisingly the outlet is powered when the switch is in the down/off position.

That quick response saved me a lot of searching and head scratching. I wouldn't have thought to check the floor outlet.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:56 PM

Turns out the middle switch on the 3 switch panel in the entrance hallway controls the same outlet explaining power in the down position.

Thanks for the super quick responses!
Old 10-23-2020, 05:10 AM

Please do not under any circumstances push the switch with a yellow dot!!!

My neighbor pushed his yellow dot switch once, next we all saw was a very bright
Old 10-24-2020, 05:54 AM

Those "dots" identify a "special outlet/light" control. Some are a single throw switch. They control one outlet that isn't obvious when used. We have two red "dots" on switches in the main/living room. One on either side of the room. They control an outlet on the floor. That can be used for a light fixture or charging device around the couch. Seems lots of retired peeps like to read, watch TV, etc in the living room. Fading eyesight helped by a local light. or charge your phone/Pad while reading

Some are 3-way switches (only 2 physical switches). We have one in the master bedroom that controls the lanai/patio lights. when used, they are opposite position of the other switch. Ours "other" switch is in the living room. Saves time and steps to see what's going on outside when we hear that "bump" in the night.

Another is in the kitchen. It controls an outlet above the kitchen cabinets. used for background lighting of "pretty stuff" we use to decorate.

Well thought out placements.

And now you know.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:20 AM

It is for the wall outlet just below the switch.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:37 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBmac View Post
Hello All,
My wife and I are new to the area and bought a 17 year old Gardenia in Briar Meadow near 42 this past spring. One of the light switches in the kitchen has a blue dot on it and I just figured out it controls the outlets on top of the cabinets. Nice set up! I just wish I had known about it earlier.

Anyway, on the back wall there are four switches by the sliding door that open to the Lanai. 1 for outside wall lights 2 for ceiling fans and 1 with a blue dot that I can't figure out what it controls. I may find out eventually figure it out but I hope someone on here can chime in and save me some time. I thought it might be the outlets on in the Lanai but no luck.

And my patio villa near the front door entrance into the living room there is a red light switch. I did not know what it was for either. I flipped it up and it started to flash. Went outside and saw that my outside lights by the garage were blinking off and on. This which is to be used if you have a 911 emergency to let the ambulance know which house to stop.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:53 AM

It could be a switch connected to an electrical outlet in the room. Alternatively it could have been a marker used by your home inspector as he/she checked each switch.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
That is it!! Thanks! Surprisingly the outlet is powered when the switch is in the down/off position.

That quick response saved me a lot of searching and head scratching. I wouldn't have thought to check the floor outlet.

you'll find a second switch that controls the floor plug on the hall leading from the front entry way that is positioned the opposite way...it's a three-way set up...however it only controls one plug in the outlet

and most likely in the master bedroom you have a switch that controls an outlet on the wall

in our Gardenia the wall switches that control another outlet have a 'red' screw on the cover plate...apparently they used blue in your home
Old 10-24-2020, 10:35 AM

The blue dot indicated that it is connected to one of the wall sockets. Its normaly used to turn on a lamp in the room.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Hello All,

We also have a gardenia. We have red dots. In master bedroom the red dot 🔴 is for the lanai so you can turn lights from living room or master bedroom.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

Maybe your party preference, giggle, snort!
Old 10-25-2020, 11:01 AM
Default Blue Dot

Possibly the Blue dot is to control lights added to the fans. Some fans the bottom comes off and you can add a light attachment. So one switch is for the fan and the second switch is for the lights on the fan.
Closed Thread

Tags
dot, blue, outlets, controls, lanai

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.