Lightning, Boom, No Internet

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2021, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
I know what you mean. My son is like that, and my grandson leaves us both in the dust. But then, I'm not sure if he knows what end of a hammer does what, so they still find us oldies of some use!
Believe me, there was plenty of cursing going on this morning!
I made sure to teach all of my girls how to use tools and change a tire...

They are experts in assembling IKEA furniture,,,

When I bought my middle one a power screwdriver, you would have thought she won the lottery! She's currently (pun intended) switching out some outlets in her condo kitchen to GFIs...

So far, no ZAP!

-Tom Petty
Old 09-20-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Hmmmmmm, what good is it to have a website explaining how to activate a modem so you can access the internet?
Because you can use your phone or your tablet to activate your modem. Or you can use a hotspot off of your phone if you have one. Everyone needs to have a multiple options to get on the Internet.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:34 AM

The Transformer or Coupler in the garage may need to be replaced.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,552 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Hmmmmmm, what good is it to have a website explaining how to activate a modem so you can access the internet?
Lol. I didnt realize that either until you said it
Old 09-20-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for responding. This turned out to be a bit of a comedy of errors (on my part). The cable modem/router we were using was fried yesterday, despite being on a so-called surge protected power strip AND having the SECO surge protector. Anyway, I replaced it with the old cable modem router we had (that I thought worked, just was slow). Any we had internal wifi (printers, etc) but no internet connection. Got hold of a live person at Comcast (that was fun!) and they confirmed that they could not see the modem from their end. Set up an appt for tomorrow. Meanwhile, I went to Best Buy and purchased a new modem/router, hooked it up and everything works! Apparently, the modem part of the old modem/router had died at some point.
Cancelled the Comcast appt and we are back online.
Sorry to hear of your debacle. We had the same thing on August 7th. It took us a month to fix/replace all things that got fried. ($3000+) Thinking the surge came through the irrigation or water lines. Really! But, a clarification on the SECO surge protector. If the surge doesn’t come through the surge protector, they’re not responsible. Ours didn’t. And, THEY ONLY REPAIR NOT REPLACE motorized items like the refrigerator and AC compressor. Things like TVs, computers, dishwasher, etc. ARE NOT COVERED! Wondering why we are paying for that surge protector. We even purchased SECO’s recommended in-home surge protectors for TV, computer, etc. thinking we had to, to be fully protected. Stupid us!
Old 09-20-2021, 06:53 AM
Veteran member

Most people have smartphones these days, smarty pants
Old 09-20-2021, 06:55 AM
Veteran member
Default Surge

If you have a surge through your irrigation and maybe you should have an electrician do some more work for you or have lightning rods on your house for about $3,000.

The Orlando Central Florida area is one of the top five points in the US for lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerlady View Post
Sorry to hear of your debacle. We had the same thing on August 7th. It took us a month to fix/replace all things that got fried. ($3000+) Thinking the surge came through the irrigation or water lines. Really! But, a clarification on the SECO surge protector. If the surge doesn’t come through the surge protector, they’re not responsible. Ours didn’t. And, THEY ONLY REPAIR NOT REPLACE motorized items like the refrigerator and AC compressor. Things like TVs, computers, dishwasher, etc. ARE NOT COVERED! Wondering why we are paying for that surge protector. We even purchased SECO’s recommended in-home surge protectors for TV, computer, etc. thinking we had to, to be fully protected. Stupid us!
Old 09-20-2021, 07:11 AM

This happened to me. The inlet portal to the modem was fried. I went to Best Buy and they have a part you can buy that will by pass the portal inlet and it fixed mine right up. Good luck
Old 09-20-2021, 07:14 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 523 Posts

I lost an almost new big screen smart TV, shortly after moving here, in a storm. After that I got three APC UPS back ups and now plug all my TVs, Tivos, and modem into them. So far so good <knock wood>
Old 09-20-2021, 07:16 AM

My modem got fried last summer during a thunder storm. Had a huge lighting strike. I was in the room when it happened. There was a loud high pitch pop. The electricity never went off, It was just the modem that got hit. This same thing happened a few months prior. I just bought a new high-end modem. This time I called Comcast. Requested a Tech service call to check the ground coming in with their cable.
Sure enough, a ground was never put in when installed. No charge for service call, and Comcasts insurance company called me and sent me a check for $192 to replace my fried modem.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 09-20-2021, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luggage View Post
Problem is, only the phone is smart in many cases, not the owners!
Old 09-20-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
The cable modem/router we were using was fried yesterday, despite being on a so-called surge protected power strip AND having the SECO surge protector.
The surge protectors probably worked fine. My guess is that the surge came through your cable. Make sure you have a surge suppressor that includes cable protection. They have two coax connectors on them. Instead of running the cable directly to your modem, run it through your surge suppressor.

You should now check to make sure your suppressors have not been used up. Call SECO for instructions on how to determine if theirs is still OK.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
The surge protectors probably worked fine. My guess is that the surge came through your cable. Make sure you have a surge suppressor that includes cable protection. They have two coax connectors on them. Instead of running the cable directly to your modem, run it through your surge suppressor.

You should now check to make sure your suppressors have not been used up. Call SECO for instructions on how to determine if theirs is still OK.
Hay, great idea. I must have looked at those cable connectors on the surge protector a hundred without putting two and two together.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
The cable modem/router we were using was fried yesterday, despite being on a so-called surge protected power strip AND having the SECO surge protector.
Surge protectors, even TWO, are not lightning protectors.

Skip
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, check, comcast, automated, deaton

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.