Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2021, 09:11 AM

She sounds like my kid, exactly!!
Old 09-20-2021, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I guess I am old school. I use my computer for the internet and my phone for phone calls and the occasional text.
Except what if your home had a power failure and you had to contact emergency services of some kind wouldn't you have to become "new school" and use your cell phone for internet? Well, you could send up smoke signals! That's very OLD school.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:11 PM
Default LIghtning Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
Yesterday at about 6pm we had a lightning/thunder event that fried my wifi/modem. I have a spare one which I hooked up and it seems to be working except there is no internet connection. My neighbor is also down. This is Comcast internet and we are in the Lake Deaton village. The automated Comcast check says it is our modem which it isn’t. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I can check?
Thanks in advance for any help
Did you actually tell Comcast you were installing a new modem, if not you have to get it authorized or it will not connect, basically it is your modem, contact Comcast or open a browser page to see if it goes to Comcast and answer the questions to get your connection back.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kirk View Post
Did you actually tell Comcast you were installing a new modem, if not you have to get it authorized or it will not connect, basically it is your modem, contact Comcast or open a browser page to see if it goes to Comcast and answer the questions to get your connection back.
Yes I installed a new modem/router including the Xfinity part. It is a lot easier these days. No need to talk to anyone
Old 09-20-2021, 04:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaxxx View Post
My modem got fried last summer during a thunder storm. Had a huge lighting strike. I was in the room when it happened. There was a loud high pitch pop. The electricity never went off, It was just the modem that got hit. This same thing happened a few months prior. I just bought a new high-end modem. This time I called Comcast. Requested a Tech service call to check the ground coming in with their cable.
Sure enough, a ground was never put in when installed. No charge for service call, and Comcasts insurance company called me and sent me a check for $192 to replace my fried modem.
Wow nice result with Comcast!!!
Old 09-20-2021, 06:10 PM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerlady View Post
Sorry to hear of your debacle. We had the same thing on August 7th. It took us a month to fix/replace all things that got fried. ($3000+) Thinking the surge came through the irrigation or water lines. Really! But, a clarification on the SECO surge protector. If the surge doesn’t come through the surge protector, they’re not responsible. Ours didn’t. And, THEY ONLY REPAIR NOT REPLACE motorized items like the refrigerator and AC compressor. Things like TVs, computers, dishwasher, etc. ARE NOT COVERED! Wondering why we are paying for that surge protector. We even purchased SECO’s recommended in-home surge protectors for TV, computer, etc. thinking we had to, to be fully protected. Stupid us!
WOW... SECO told us our tvs were covered if newer than 5 years old.
We have the surge protector service...
Old 09-20-2021, 06:33 PM
Sage

The small print from SECO. Notice that the strike cannot be between your house and the transformer.

Under no circumstances will MTI guarantee performance due to a lightning strike not carried down the utility power
lines and through the utility transformer and then the SPD to the residence.
This warranty excludes all stand-alone “electronic equipment” using microchip, microprocessor or transistor technology, such as but not limited to computers, televisions, DVD Players/Recorders and Security Systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
WOW... SECO told us our tvs were covered if newer than 5 years old.
We have the surge protector service...
Old 09-20-2021, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The small print from SECO. Notice that the strike cannot be between your house and the transformer.

Under no circumstances will MTI guarantee performance due to a lightning strike not carried down the utility power
lines and through the utility transformer and then the SPD to the residence.
This warranty excludes all stand-alone “electronic equipment” using microchip, microprocessor or transistor technology, such as but not limited to computers, televisions, DVD Players/Recorders and Security Systems.
I read the entire SECO surge protector warranty and I could not determine that anything that is covered by the warranty. They don't cover electrical outlets or wiring, security systems, fire alarm systems, electronics, or anything with a motor or a microchip. Washers, dryers, microwaves, and almost everything else you plug in has a microchip. So, what is covered by their warranty???
Old 09-20-2021, 07:14 PM
Sage

I agree that not much, if anything of real value, is covered. I know some people who have the SECO "ring" on their power meter and I read the warranty and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the money, plus I have home owner's insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I read the entire SECO surge protector warranty and I could not determine that anything that is covered by the warranty. They don't cover electrical outlets or wiring, security systems, fire alarm systems, electronics, or anything with a motor or a microchip. Washers, dryers, microwaves, and almost everything else you plug in has a microchip. So, what is covered by their warranty???
Old 09-21-2021, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I agree that not much, if anything of real value, is covered. I know some people who have the SECO "ring" on their power meter and I read the warranty and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the money, plus I have home owner's insurance.
Surge protectors are a risk reduction if the power line is hit. There are many other ways a strike can enter the home.

Best that can be done to further reduce risk is add protector at key devices and a lightening protection system. But still no guarantee.

Homes South of 44 have thin wall metallic gas lines in the attic that are a reason some are adding lightening protection systems.
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, check, comcast, automated, deaton

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.