Lightning protection

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
Comments on other posts:
Lightning rods do not attract lightning as they merely give lightning a low- resistance safe path to ground. I agree that less than 5% of the homes have lightning protection systems (LPS) who have installed them for peace of mind. Please note that The Villages installs them on nearly all commerical property, places of assembly, pumping stations, and the old and new fire HQ.

To "BS you don't need them" - perhaps you don't because you have a high tolerance for risk. For those like me who have a low tolerance for risk I have shelled out $$ for peace of mind as I do not want to see my house destroyed along with all of my possessions and irreplaceable memorabilia. I have watched two homes destroyed by lightning - not a pretty sight. Each homeowner needs to decide based on facts - not myths or hearsay - their own tolerance for risk.

I would be concerned for the quality of a $750 LPS installation even for the smallest villa. The installer is most likely not UL or LPI listed - however they may tell that they are. Further, they may be cutting corners by not using UL listed components. Remember, this is a buyer beware market place as there is no local, county, or state regulation of LPS installers for residential property.
Well put! Particularly the part about "...based on facts - not myths or hearsay ...".
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Default Lightning rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve2278 View Post
We thought about lightening rods too but after research decided against it. We are too close to our neighbors and altho the rods draw the lightening to the ground I found three houses in TV that were struck by lightening and their neighbors had the rods.

I'd rather take a chance of "maybe it could happen" than having something on my house that says" here I am." and perhaps having my neighbors house hit because of it...
I would just like people to know that lightning rods do not "attract" or "draw" lightning. They simply drain of charge that can build up over a house during a storm. If you do install them make sure hardware is UL approved or you are wasting your money.
(from a physicist)
Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 PM

The myth that lightning rods attact lightning dates to the days of Ben Franklin. I strongly suggest that you go to The Villages Library and borrow Dr. Martin Umna's book, The Art and Science of Lightning Protection, and in particular page 17 that debunks this myth.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.