Noise Curfew

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2019, 08:36 AM
Default Noise Curfew

My wife and I are planning to move to TV in the near future. I was just wondering about neighborhood noise, ie parties, music, or general high noise producing activities after a certain time of the day. It seems to me that since all the homes are positioned very close to each other, noisy activities of one neighbor could cause a good amount of stress to surrounding neighbors.

Is there a noise curfew in TV?
Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Usually if someone is going to stay up late and make a ruckus, they will invite the neighbors nearby.

In the dozen or so years since we have lived in two places in The Villages there have been a very few complaints registered on this Forum.

Not much of a problem if at all. And as time goes by most of us gradually lose our hearing. It works out beautifully.

However, if you are the kind of person who gets nervous when your spouse eats crunchy things, perhaps you should not move close to others.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

I believe there is a generic external deed restriction standard re noise for all villages:
"External Noise - External noise refers to sounds being made outside of the home, for example, lawn mowers or lawn equipment, radios, amplified music, etc., and should be kept to a moderate level.
Quiet hours are from 10:00 p.m. until one hour before daybreak."

But that simply guarantees one the opportunity to call Community Standards to lodge a complaint and/or to speak sith the offending rowdy neighbor themselves!

Old 05-20-2019, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

In general noise from neighbors isn't a problem.

But I do know of one case where a neighbor complained about a party on her neighbor's lanai. But, as graciegirl said, most of the time when your neighbor has a party you will be there. And it's not party time every night :-)

Also for most homes you will hear your neighbors talking if they are out on their lanai and you are out on yours. Also some people won't smoke a cigar in their house, they go on the lanai to do that... you may end up smelling that if you are next door to them and on your lanai.

Some houses are situated so that their lanai is blocked off on both sides with nothing much behind them. Some people put plantings on the sides of their lanai to hide the neighbor's lanai and cut off the noise of conversation a little bit.

The noise that most people notice is from lawns and golf courses being mowed. I think there is a rule that doesn't allow lawn mowing before 6AM... and yes sometimes in the winter the mowers are out in the dark. But most get used to it.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:52 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

Well, this is a retirement community and not a University campus. You are more likely to hear neighbors snoring peacefully during one of their frequent naps on their Lanai than a chugging contest (Pardon the attempt at humor).

Noise by rowdy neighbors shouldn't be a problem. But if noise in general is a problem, be aware that TV has several areas that you can consider in your purchase decision.

1/Nightly music at town squares can be heard in nearby areas.
2/ If your home abuts a major road you will have the continuous traffic flow with associated noises. 3/Lawn mowing can be loud but is usually of short duration.
4/Locations near/on a golf cart path or a golf course will have noise from the gas golf carts.
5/Locations near a recreation center will have outdoor activity noises. Pickleball courts will yield a Pop, Pop, Pop sound nearly all day long.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Non stop party town...24/7
Old 05-20-2019, 11:50 AM

I just called on this because a friend was having an issue with a lawnmower. I was told noise ordinance is they can start one hour before sunrise and end at 10 pm. That being said we’ve live here 7 years and have never had a problem. All neighbors we’ve had have been very respectful.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Veteran member

No one here can predict what 100K+ people will do but you are less likely to have noise problems in a 55+ community. Stay away from the golf cart paths and pickle ball courts.

If you do draw the short straw and get the neighbor from hell, talk to the standards people for advice.

I had a good friend that enjoys playing drums. He plays hard and loud at all hours of the day and night. I told him I feel sorry for his neighbors because he would be in the ‘neighbor from hell’ category. He smiled and said, I don’t care. He does not live in TV but in a different 55+ community. So yes it can happen, but still unlikely.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,413 Times in 5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
I believe there is a generic external deed restriction standard re noise for all villages:
"External Noise - External noise refers to sounds being made outside of the home, for example, lawn mowers or lawn equipment, radios, amplified music, etc., and should be kept to a moderate level.
Quiet hours are from 10:00 p.m. until one hour before daybreak."

But that simply guarantees one the opportunity to call Community Standards to lodge a complaint and/or to speak sith the offending rowdy neighbor themselves!
This deed restriction is worthless because of the term "moderate level", which is totally undefinable and, therefore, unenforceable.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Our next door Seasonal Neighbors were having a problem. They have lived in their house for 28 years with no problem. The house behind them sold to a Party Person and the Started at 11 PM. They are a little frail and timid and asked for a helping hand so I spoke to a person at the house and the second time we talked they got the message. Chrystal Clear nicely worded message.

Everyone is now the best of friends and our little Village Carries on. Everyone else is very considerate of each other in all ways.

I did mention The Deed Restrictions and told a Little Lie that quiet time was 9 PM until 8 AM. It worked. No law cutting over here till 8 AM either.

Last edited by Nucky; 05-20-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: THE USUAL
Old 05-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Platinum member

I'm the life of the party - even if it lasts until 8 pm!

Seriously, 3 years and have never heard any disturbing noise -- but those crickets sure do get loud!
Old 05-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Platinum member

Oh, and if you do move here and have a problem (which I seriously doubt) we will just send Nucky The Enforcer over. Problem solved.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbfrank View Post
My wife and I are planning to move to TV in the near future. I was just wondering about neighborhood noise, ie parties, music, or general high noise producing activities after a certain time of the day. It seems to me that since all the homes are positioned very close to each other, noisy activities of one neighbor could cause a good amount of stress to surrounding neighbors.

Is there a noise curfew in TV?
Yes. There are noise ordinances, which are enforced by law enforcement in the jurisdiction in which you reside. That being said, some Villages homes have "kissing lanais", meaning the houses back to each other, in some cases very close. Although there might not be a "party", you may hear barking dogs, TV's, and music being played at a level in which you can hear from your house. Not to mention the person holding a phone conversation on their lanai, playing cards with a group of people, etc. If this possibility is something that concerns you, part of your home search should be to find a home/homesite which mitigates this potential problem.

Last edited by photo1902; 05-20-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
This deed restriction is worthless because of the term "moderate level", which is totally undefinable and, therefore, unenforceable.
County ordinances are very specific.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:06 PM

Ha! They roll up the carpets at 9:00pm.
Closed Thread

Tags
noise, activities, curfew, positioned, close

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.