Like The Villages and have a few questions.

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Default Thanks again!

Thanks again for all the thoughtful replies! For me the fencing is a convenience thing for me as I sure don’t want to have to walk the dog every time he wants to pee or poop and a quality of life thing for my dog. Whippets love to run and chase small prey like chipmunks, squirrels, and rabbits like their bigger relative the greyhound so having a big fenced yard is really nice but I am starting to see that isn’t going to be realistic in The Villages so he will just have to save his running for the dog parks. Also glad to hear that having a gas furnace is a possibility. I get it that you don’t have very many months that you even need the furnace but since a house in The Villages is probably the last house I will ever buy it just makes sense to get it as close to ideal as I can.

Last edited by Fishers2tall; 05-20-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added text.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Thumbs down Find Another Realtor

Forget the fencing, unless you back up to a wall and can put up a natural barrier, walk the dog on a leash. We moved down from Indy and had to convert to that. Also - get a different realtor, they don't know what they're talking about saying things like "everyone has a heat pump" (we don't). If they lie about one thing...
Also, we've had two neighbors lose animals (cat and dog) to predators - there are plenty around here, and I don't mean alligators. We've seen bobcats and coyotes, not to mention if you have a small animal, I saw a large hawk swoop down on Sunday and pick up a rabbit and fly off with it. I walk my dog, never let them out unsupervised, especially around dusk.

Last edited by IndianaJones; 05-20-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Adding content
Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM

The questions asked by the OP are some of the same ones I have so the answers are helping many of us who are considering the move to TV. We also have dogs (small ones) and we have always had the convenience of a fenced in backyard. I never thought I would consider a home without a fenced in yard but I'm changing my view on that. It would be a lifestyle change for sure but it could also be a very positive one for both the dogs and me, giving us more structure to our day and forcing me out of my pjs early in the morning. I'd like to think I'm not too old to change my routine : )
Old 05-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We moved from a home on 2 acres with a 1/2 acre fenced for the dogs. We quickly learned that we would do a lot of walking. It has worked and no problems. We lost 2 dogs since we have moved here. We bouht a Havanese puppy in December and he is too small to be outside on his own. We put in a pool with a birdcage and he gets a lot of exercise. running in the cage. There are some very nice dog parks that gives the dogs a chance to run.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers2tall View Post
Thanks again for all the thoughtful replies! For me the fencing is a convenience thing for me as I sure don’t want to have to walk the dog every time he wants to pee or poop and a quality of life thing for my dog. Whippets love to run and chase small prey like chipmunks, squirrels, and rabbits like their bigger relative the greyhound so having a big fenced yard is really nice but I am starting to see that isn’t going to be realistic in The Villages so he will just have to save his running for the dog parks. Also glad to hear that having a gas furnace is a possibility. I get it that you don’t have very many months that you even need the furnace but since a house in The Villages is probably the last house I will ever buy it just makes sense to get it as close to ideal as I can.
We have a corner CYV so we have completely walled in larger sized yard for our dog. We still go out with him but he enjoys walking around exploring and rolling in the grass several times a day in addition to his walks.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Platinum member

We too were used to a fenced yard up north. We have a 17-pound rescue and enjoy walking her. My husband complains that more folks know her name than his. We do have a big bird cage. She gets lots of exercise chasing a squirrel who likes to run across the top of the screen. As others have said, no dog should be left unattended outside.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJones View Post
Also, we've had two neighbors lose animals (cat and dog) to predators - there are plenty around here, and I don't mean alligators. We've seen bobcats and coyotes, not to mention if you have a small animal, I saw a large hawk swoop down on Sunday and pick up a rabbit and fly off with it. I walk my dog, never let them out unsupervised, especially around dusk.
Appreciate the advice IndianaJones! I honestly hadn’t thought about bobcats. Whippets, being a single coat short hair dog, don’t do well in serious cold or heat so my dog rarely is outside unattended and I can see that will need to always be the case upon buying in the Villages. I will probably end up in a CYV somewhere within a short golf car ride of Lake Sumter. For those of you who have bought in the new villages south of the Florida turnpike like Fenney, Linden, DeSoto, and McClure is there a way to drive your golf cars to Brownwood Square and north or do you have to use your car?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers2tall View Post
Appreciate the advice IndianaJones! I honestly hadn’t thought about bobcats. Whippets, being a single coat short hair dog, don’t do well in serious cold or heat so my dog rarely is outside unattended and I can see that will need to always be the case upon buying in the Villages. I will probably end up in a CYV somewhere within a short golf car ride of Lake Sumter. For those of you who have bought in the new villages south of the Florida turnpike like Fenney, Linden, DeSoto, and McClure is there a way to drive your golf cars to Brownwood Square and north or do you have to use your car?
I would start a new post for this question.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

You can't drive from Fenny to Brownwood in a golf cart at the moment. However the Villages is working on getting some bridges installed so that you will be able to do that. The piers and the bridge itself for one of them are almost done it mostly they just need put the put the bridge over 44 and drop it on the piers. I don't know when they will be finished and usable but it seems like it shouldn't be more than a few months.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
You can't drive from Fenny to Brownwood in a golf cart at the moment. However the Villages is working on getting some bridges installed so that you will be able to do that. The piers and the bridge itself for one of them are almost done it mostly they just need put the put the bridge over 44 and drop it on the piers. I don't know when they will be finished and usable but it seems like it shouldn't be more than a few months.
My guess would be about a year and a half.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You will love the transition from wonderful Indiana to The Villages, Florida. Our daughter was born at Coleman Hospital and we like Hoosiers a bunch.

The Villages is so amazing that it took us a while to believe it wasn't too good to be true. We have lived here now close to thirteen years.

It is so nice to rarely need heat and our stucco home handles electric power beautifully to keep our house cool. I cook a lot and have no difficulty with electric.

There are many people here who will fit you to a T and others who will add flavor and punch to your life. There is a huge mix of mini-geographic origins and mini-cultures. There are those whose mom smacked them for being cheeky and those whose moms must have encouraged them to BE cheeky.

There is so much to do and so many amazing new friends to meet.

I don't get paid for this. I am such a fan of this place.

Hurry HOME.

Tags
home, insurance, single, neighborhood, gas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.