Like The Villages and have a few questions.

Like The Villages and have a few questions.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Thank you to everyone!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:51 AM

Default Thank you to everyone!

A very grateful thank you to everyone who has responded so far.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers2tall View Post
A very grateful thank you to everyone who has responded so far.
Live near Geist?
Old 05-17-2019, 07:10 AM
Sage

I can't speak to all your questions except for the on re: gas. It depends on the area(s) whether there is gas or electric. For instance in The Village of Amelia...there are "some" with gas and others have electric. I know that some of the older areas have gas and maybe some of the brand new areas do as well. So have your realtor do the research on these so he/she can show you those areas. As far as fences....the newest areas south of Hwy 44 have Veranda homes with fences. I just remembered too that in the Pinehills area there may be some as well. There are restrictions otherwise to them here. Folks can't move in and then add a fence. You may need to be aware of leaving your pets outside regardless of fencing. Probably not a good idea due to the wildlife that prey here.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval

At first I missed my gas stove, but as the years have gone by I am adapting. My utilities in TV are half of the cost of our Michigan home, summer or winter.

The gated yard can be a bonus and a curse. Our cameras gives us a glimpse of the occasional predator that would take a small animal.
Our 4 pound Himalayan is equal to the small birds or gecko that taunt her outside the lanai, but if she were outside a hawk or eagle would take her in a minute. Even in an enclosed yard I would be very careful of an unattended fur baby
Old 05-19-2019, 04:00 PM

Our portion of The Villages is all electric. I was concerned about that when moving here as I'd never had electric heat. After two winters here, my concerns have long since vanished in that regard. Our annual electric bill is substantially lower than our combined annual gas and electric bills for our house back in North Carolina. Some people might complain about not having gas for cooking, but I'm not one of them. I've never been a big cook and the few times I had gas, I didn't see what the fuss was about. Some folks like the fact that gas doesn't gradually warm up but instead is 100% on. I didn't like the fact that I never seemed to be able to simmer as the gas flame seemed just too hot even when I had it turned low. Whatever floats your boat. I believe the newer parts of The Villages that are being built now and for the next several years have gas but you really need to check on a house-by-house, neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis if that's important to you.

We no longer have a dog (or, as my wife puts it, "We are between dogs."), so the lack of a fence doesn't concern me either. I see fenced villas and even a handful of fenced designer homes going up in the new areas. Perhaps they or existing homes will be available when you do decided to make the move. What did concern me was the size of the lots. They are, like nearly every retirement community we have visited, pretty small. I was afraid that having neighbors right next door and right behind us would be intrusive. Instead, we're lucky enough to have great neighbors and have become extremely close to the neighbors right behind us. The small yard size is a plus in that I spend so little time having to work on it (I still prefer to mow my own, which is a bit of a rarity here). We also tend to think of the house kind of like a cabin on a cruise ship. You may think you need a huge one but when you get here and find you are out and about all the time enjoying the zillions of activities here, you wonder why you worried.
Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:18 AM

Default Thanks again!

Thanks again for all the thoughtful replies! For me the fencing is a convenience thing for me as I sure don’t want to have to walk the dog every time he wants to pee or poop and a quality of life thing for my dog. Whippets love to run and chase small prey like chipmunks, squirrels, and rabbits like their bigger relative the greyhound so having a big fenced yard is really nice but I am starting to see that isn’t going to be realistic in The Villages so he will just have to save his running for the dog parks. Also glad to hear that having a gas furnace is a possibility. I get it that you don’t have very many months that you even need the furnace but since a house in The Villages is probably the last house I will ever buy it just makes sense to get it as close to ideal as I can.

Last edited by Fishers2tall; 05-20-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added text.
Find Another Realtor
Old 05-20-2019, 09:52 AM

Thumbs down Find Another Realtor

Forget the fencing, unless you back up to a wall and can put up a natural barrier, walk the dog on a leash. We moved down from Indy and had to convert to that. Also - get a different realtor, they don't know what they're talking about saying things like "everyone has a heat pump" (we don't). If they lie about one thing...
Also, we've had two neighbors lose animals (cat and dog) to predators - there are plenty around here, and I don't mean alligators. We've seen bobcats and coyotes, not to mention if you have a small animal, I saw a large hawk swoop down on Sunday and pick up a rabbit and fly off with it. I walk my dog, never let them out unsupervised, especially around dusk.

Last edited by IndianaJones; 05-20-2019 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Adding content
Old 05-20-2019, 10:44 AM

The questions asked by the OP are some of the same ones I have so the answers are helping many of us who are considering the move to TV. We also have dogs (small ones) and we have always had the convenience of a fenced in backyard. I never thought I would consider a home without a fenced in yard but I'm changing my view on that. It would be a lifestyle change for sure but it could also be a very positive one for both the dogs and me, giving us more structure to our day and forcing me out of my pjs early in the morning. I'd like to think I'm not too old to change my routine : )
Old 05-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Gold member

We moved from a home on 2 acres with a 1/2 acre fenced for the dogs. We quickly learned that we would do a lot of walking. It has worked and no problems. We lost 2 dogs since we have moved here. We bouht a Havanese puppy in December and he is too small to be outside on his own. We put in a pool with a birdcage and he gets a lot of exercise. running in the cage. There are some very nice dog parks that gives the dogs a chance to run.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers2tall View Post
Thanks again for all the thoughtful replies! For me the fencing is a convenience thing for me as I sure don’t want to have to walk the dog every time he wants to pee or poop and a quality of life thing for my dog. Whippets love to run and chase small prey like chipmunks, squirrels, and rabbits like their bigger relative the greyhound so having a big fenced yard is really nice but I am starting to see that isn’t going to be realistic in The Villages so he will just have to save his running for the dog parks. Also glad to hear that having a gas furnace is a possibility. I get it that you don’t have very many months that you even need the furnace but since a house in The Villages is probably the last house I will ever buy it just makes sense to get it as close to ideal as I can.
We have a corner CYV so we have completely walled in larger sized yard for our dog. We still go out with him but he enjoys walking around exploring and rolling in the grass several times a day in addition to his walks.

Tags
home, insurance, single, neighborhood, gas