Limit One Visit!!! Huh???

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 PM

The amount of freebies has steady declined over the last four years. We did a tour three times without any problem between '06 and '08. However, it is my understanding that the developer pays for the first one. Any subsequent are at the discretion of the sales agent - because they pay those after the first.

Our first tour we stayed in the LSL preview homes. Each of the others was in a private residence arranged through the sales office/rental management office.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:30 PM

We stayed years ago (8-10, not sure). Then came back again last year. We had no trouble booking the second trip last year a couple of months later. However, we were very serious about buying a new build. Unfortunately, it fell through simply because the contract terms on a new build are ridiculous and I backed out. We're still looking for pre-owned now, like so many recommend here.

The freebies have deteriorated significantly over the years. On our first stay, they had Village Dollars, essentially free money to spend anywhere in TV, and it was practically a free stay. Now it's just a few coupons. $100/nt didn't seem like a great deal to me. It's very convenient due to location and the golf car and such. But it's comparably priced to a hotel. It larger accommodations, but fewer services. A a hotel will clean, change towels, etc. everyday. I would think the would think they would make units readily available to anyone serious about buying. But I doubt they would've given me a fourth stay.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodiana View Post
My sister and I visited in January 2011 but only were able to stay four nights. We were interested in coming again in June to see if we could "stand the heat" and to get to know our way around a little better. We're both still working, and our anticipated move to TV won't be for another 2-3 years, so we're limited to a time when we could both make the trip from NJ.

I entered a chat with an on-line rep on the Villages website and asked about availability for the June dates and referred to the sales rep we had in January. I was told that there is a one-time limit on the Lifestyle visit. That's it...short and not so sweet. So much for the "friendliest hometown" kind of feeling.

So I guess I have two questions. First, are there folks out there that have done the Lifestyle visit more than once? I'm sure I've read threads that stated that this was possible. We're not looking for any freebees and of course we'll be paying for our home away from home. Secondly, if it's really not possible to get a second visit, if we stayed at the hotel in Lake Sumter, how would we go about getting passes to tour open houses?
Hi Decodiana,
As Kate said, the rules often change and this might be the rule at this time.

However, there could be another reason you were not invited for another lifestyle visit. LSVs are a tool the sales agents use to help them sell new houses. If you told the agent you chatted with that you were interested in touring open houses, and were referring to resales listed by owner or MLS, the agent would have no incentive to invite you for a LSV.

There is no obligation or pressure during an LSV to buy or even look at homes for sale by The Villages. By the same token, there is no obligation by the sales staff to offer you an LSV. It's not for lack of friendliness. It's just that business is business.

If you talk with your original agent or a new one and cannot get another LSV, I'm betting you could find a five-day rental during June. Look on thevillages4rent.com.

Best wishes!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 PM

We have been able to visit at least 3 times for 4-7 days each. The first was the lifestyle visit where we got all of the "stuff." Technically that is the only one you get. After that our realtor helped us with a village CYV rental which included ID's, golf cart, and bikes. Just contact your realtor and ask. We have also stayed many times at the Waterfront Inn and a few of the other hotels. I have also noticed several patio villas for rent on a weekly basis.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM

We had the first Lifestyle visit with all the bells and whistles. The second one we rented a cyv to pick out our lot And home. They were so accommodating and gracious.

The Villages is the friendliest place and I was sold the first time I visited my Dad five years ago.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by decodiana View Post
Thanks for the quick response. The only problem is that we're only available for 5 nights. Don't think we can rent a home for that short a period of time...
If it were possible, I'd love to rent an Iris because that's the model we're interested in.
Check on TheVillages4Rent.com if you want a short term rental for the summer. I found a one week rental this July in the Village of Chatham through this web site. Also try ****.com and the classified section, furnished homes for rent, of the on line version of the The Villages Daily Sun newspaper which is thevillagesdailysun.com. You are wise to check out the temps. of TV in the summer. Last summer I visited TV for the first time, and I stayed at the Comfort Inn near Spanish Springs. I visited several open houses by pushing the red button at the entrance gates to the various villages. In July I will be living like a villager for a brief 7 days. Hope to rent again in TV for a week in October. Good luck to you.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:29 AM
Veteran member

We have friends who were denied also because they had their LSV last year. My guess is if you are truly interested in buying they will extend the courtesy. Our friends couldn't be more obvious that they had no interest as in NOT talking to a sales agent and NOT looking at anything. To them it was a cheap vacation with freebies.........

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 05-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Hi Decodiana,
As Kate said, the rules often change and this might be the rule at this time.

However, there could be another reason you were not invited for another lifestyle visit. LSVs are a tool the sales agents use to help them sell new houses. If you told the agent you chatted with that you were interested in touring open houses, and were referring to resales listed by owner or MLS, the agent would have no incentive to invite you for a LSV.

There is no obligation or pressure during an LSV to buy or even look at homes for sale by The Villages. By the same token, there is no obligation by the sales staff to offer you an LSV. It's not for lack of friendliness. It's just that business is business.

If you talk with your original agent or a new one and cannot get another LSV, I'm betting you could find a five-day rental during June. Look on thevillages4rent.com.

Best wishes!
I couldn't have said it better, and I agree with this post. I don't see them advertising on the golf events anymore. The truth is that word of mouth and all of us very satisfied residents are lowering their advertising budget, a good thing for the owners businesswise. Not offering a second lifestyle visit is not meant to be unfriendly I feel sure. The friendliest hometown refers to the feeling you get from the residents. I consider it lovely not to be pressured and not to be even called by the sales staff when we came on our visit. I had to call them, and they didn't even bring up buying a home. Their question was, "What would you like to see or know more about?" After we we shown the golf courses and Arnold Palmer Academy, we said....Aren't you going to show us houses for sale? And we were told, sure, if you want to see them. Even then, no request for buying. No sales pitch. They just answered our questions.

That and the fact that someone we knew for a long time who had bought here and whose judgment we trusted gave us some cold refreshing drinks and YOU, many of YOU who welcomed us, made us fall in love with this wonderful place.

The romance goes on....

They really don't need to pay for people to return for a second tour anymore.
The place and it's residents speak for itself. AND if they don't have to pay for a second tour, why would an extremely good business organization waste its money?? Not unfriendly. Savvy.

So I am saying to you, that if we were there we would love to welcome you to our home and give you something cold to drink and tell you why we love this place and hear what you like and what you are wondering about. We would like every person who is looking for a happy place to live join us here in Paradise.

Welcome!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default another idea

We are like you and cannot move for a couple of years. We rent on a weekly basis. I would think there are plenty of opportunities to rent in June. We got our place by asking on this forum under the for rent section.The Villages 4 rent is also good and our realtor has told us to contact him if we needed places to rent also. Also you can get guest passes to participate in the activities at the rec ctrs and pools. The doors are not closed to you!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Gold member
Default agree with renting

even if you can only stay 5 nights, you can probably find a weekly rental that will cost the same or less than a hotel room for 5 nights, get the free guest passes from your landlord, and probably even a golf cart included, if you look hard enough. Not all landlords rent on a weekly basis, but many do in the summer, some for even less than a week. Just do your homework.

This way, you'll get to talk to neighbors - you might have to make the effort in the summer, or get up early when people are out doing yard work or walking, biking, etc. Plus, you'll get a feel for a real neighborhood. Try to rent a model that you think you might be interested in buying in the future.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal :-) View Post
We stayed years ago (8-10, not sure). Then came back again last year. We had no trouble booking the second trip last year a couple of months later. However, we were very serious about buying a new build. Unfortunately, it fell through simply because the contract terms on a new build are ridiculous and I backed out. We're still looking for pre-owned now, like so many recommend here.

The freebies have deteriorated significantly over the years. On our first stay, they had Village Dollars, essentially free money to spend anywhere in TV, and it was practically a free stay. Now it's just a few coupons. $100/nt didn't seem like a great deal to me. It's very convenient due to location and the golf car and such. But it's comparably priced to a hotel. It larger accommodations, but fewer services. A a hotel will clean, change towels, etc. everyday. I would think the would think they would make units readily available to anyone serious about buying. But I doubt they would've given me a fourth stay.
I did the LSV in January. There was a time in mid-March when I was thinking of returning........but there was no room at the inn ( LSV villas, hotels, etc.). My sales agent did bend over backwards to try to find something but it wasn't meant to be.

I am curious, Hal, what you mean by "contract terms on a new build are ridiculous". I went thru the new build experience up north 5 years ago and found restrictions...but those restrictions were fair and reasonable. It is different in TV but what do you feel is "ridiculous"?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Sage

My experience has been the first LSV was no problem and included all the goodies.

The second was a little problamatic as TV did not readily want to give a LSV unless one is serious about buying. I switched my TV sales agent and the new was more accomodating. It did not include as many goodies. As someone said, "the rules changed". I felt as you did that it was treated more like a business transaction. I still think it is the cheapest option rather than staying at the Marriott in Spanish Springs. IMHO - $100 per night is cheap lodging in today's world especially for what TV gives you..

The unfriendliness you felt was the business side of TV and not the wonderful people you will encounter when visiting. The TOTV memebers gave you good advice and I hope you will find a place to stay.

My third trip will be to rent until I buy a home and become a permanet resident. I am soooooooo looking forward to that day.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you're not buying for 2 or 3 years and only want stay for about 5 days, what' wrong with any of the four motels in TV near Spanish Springs on Avenida Central. You've got Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Suite, Towneplace Suites and La Hicienda Hotel.

As a coincidence, we arrived home last week from our 7 day LSV and our agent called a couple of hours ago and asked how we were doing. I informed him I'm doing some minor work and we should have the home on the market next week. Then I asked when we get a contract and come down to put a deposit on a home, can I make it a LSV trip. He said, yes, we have a return LSV available for buyers who are ready to put a deposit down.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Gold member

Now I feel really blessed. We have enjoyed 3 LSVs. We did not receive all the free items on the last visit but we did not expect TV to even let us have a third LSV so no complaints. After visiting a lot of higher priced retirement communities in Naples, Palm Beach and near TV, we were initially disappointed in the homes offered in TV. We visited TV the next year because we had enjoyed the life style (**** kool aid kicking in) and wanted to take a second look at the homes. Decided that TV was the place for us because we are outside people and do not plan to stay in the house all day anyways. We visited again the following year with my sister to show them our future retirement home. Our sales agent has been very helpful and cooperative through out this long process. Only one visit left to rent for a month or so in the model we want to buy before we write the check. I wonder if the type of home you are seeking has anything to do with how many LSVs you get. Also may depend on the length of your first visit. We only stayed 3 days on our first visit and 4 days on the second because we were visiting other communities all over Florida.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default yep

John W...nothing is wrong with staying in the hotels...we have done that also....we just love renting a home to get the feel of being a "real Villager". Also it is nice to be able to relax in a home like atmosphere and to cook ...but only when you want to cook!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.