Line Dancing Question - Again

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2019, 06:14 PM
Sage
Default Line Dancing Question - Again

I know there have been previous discussions on this topic, but my searching has not yielded any truly definitive answers...

Those folks who seem to know every line dance in the world...how do they learn them?

I know there are classes, but how about other methods, like videos, etc.? Can you learn TV type line dancing by using videos? Are there other methods that maybe I’m not even aware of?
Old 05-16-2019, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

I learned the line dances 1st by looking at how they do it on the square using their webcam on my iPad because I was over a thousand miles away. Then I googled YouTube for line dancing eg electric slide. There are step by step lessons; first slow, then faster, then variations on the dance. You can learn the steps at your own space one by one in your kitchen or living room until you feel comfortable. You can also have the steps printed out and try different YouTube lessons til you find one you like.

Then watch at the square and try joining. I did and my husband video taped me dancing with everyone.

You can find any kind of line dance on YouTube usually.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:53 AM

There are line dancing classes all the time! Even though we've been doing a couple of the easy ones for a long time, there are many patterns to create different line dances. If you know these, start with the Beginner classes where they teach the dances. Then you can go to the squares with confidence. We're starting at Absolute Beginner after doing the Beginner class. It was quite comical to watch us try to incorporate the patterns into a simple dance. YouTube has the dances as well and is a good place to review/practice what you've learned.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:46 PM

I go to a Tuesday line dancing absolute beginner class and practice by searching for the songs used in class on this site:
CopperKnob - Linedance Stepsheets

Included in the search results are the step names used in the dance, the step instructions (ie vine R = Step R to right, Step L behind R, Step R to right, Touch L beside R), and videos of the dance.

Also, you can find specific songs + info used in many of the classes at this site:
Villages Line Dance Community – Promoting Camaraderie and Friendship Throughout the Villages, FL Line Dance Community

I thought I knew how to line dance until I moved to TV last month. Showed up for a beginner class, and, after one song, a guy in the class, at least 10 years older than me, told me I should consider an absolute beginner class. I was a big fish in a small pond where I used to live; The Villages is chock-a-block full of really talented people, and I now know that if there's a class below beginner level...I sign up for it!
Old 05-18-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarron01 View Post
I go to a Tuesday line dancing absolute beginner class and practice by searching for the songs used in class on this site:
CopperKnob - Linedance Stepsheets

Included in the search results are the step names used in the dance, the step instructions (ie vine R = Step R to right, Step L behind R, Step R to right, Touch L beside R), and videos of the dance.

Also, you can find specific songs + info used in many of the classes at this site:
Villages Line Dance Community – Promoting Camaraderie and Friendship Throughout the Villages, FL Line Dance Community

I thought I knew how to line dance until I moved to TV last month. Showed up for a beginner class, and, after one song, a guy in the class, at least 10 years older than me, told me I should consider an absolute beginner class. I was a big fish in a small pond where I used to live; The Villages is chock-a-block full of really talented people, and I now know that if there's a class below beginner level...I sign up for it!
Thanks for all this info. I will be staying in TV for 9 months starting in Sept. and don't want to look like an idiot.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Closed Thread

Tags
line, learn, videos, methods, dancing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.