Listen to your wife when she says the dryer isn’t drying clothes

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2018, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
I’m thinking that if they installed the screen rather than the flapper in error, then someone else (other than me) should pay to have the line cleaned. Probably fat chance of that happening.
Call warranty to find out.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Dear Bruce,
We appreciate the trust you have in us to do your one year warranty inspection. In your case, us finding a incorrect dryer vent was a serious issue. We do not find this often, but we do find this a few times a year. Whenever possible, we ALWAYS check for this.

The code states that a dryer vent should never be screened...it should instead have a flap. Most roofers know this.....in your case, whoever installed that vent cap was not paying close attention and installed the wrong one. The screen allows lint to get stuck and accumulate, eventually blocking the vent totally. This results in much longer dryer times. It can also easily cause a fire, as lint is very flammable and once clogged, can get stuck in your dryer, near the heating element, etc.

This is why we recommend that dryer vents get cleaned out once every year or two. This should be done even when you have the correct flapped vent.

Thankfully for you, the newer dryers are "smart" dryers, and will warn you when this occurs.

As you know, we put this in the report that this was a serious fire safety issue, and that the incorrect vent needs to be removed ASAP and the correct vent installed. We also put in the report that since we have no non-invasive way of knowing how much of the vent ductwork is also clogged, that the warranty department should cover a complete dryer vent and dryer cleaning, as this clog is directly caused by the installation of a incorrect screened vent cover.

When I found out today that the warranty department did not do this right away, I contacted them again today stressing the urgency of this error. Please let me know Bruce if this is not done within the next day or two. I will personally follow up on it even more.

This is the second one we have found in a week. This is why we walk all over the roof and go all over the attic in 98% of the homes we inspect.

Thanks again for your business! Keep me posted....

Frank D'Angelo
Thank you to you and your sons for doing a thorough job! I’ll let you know if we don’t hear from them soon re the vent.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

No matter the opening at the end of the dryer vent, lint is MUCH more an issue and problem here where humidity is often above 80 percent. It wets the fuzz and the blowing air soon compacts it into a felt like substance that sticks to the inside of the pipe and it just keeps getting thicker and thicker... not the dry fluffy stuff that we are used to up north. You need to have your dryer vent cleaned at LEAST once a year.

Here is an ethical business; Covenant Enterprises. LLC Desmond Harris, Owner. 352. 308.9243

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-13-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Actually as re-read the summary for the inspection, it says a screened bath vent roof cap was found to be incorrectly installed on the dryer vent stack. So they definitely screwed up. It says this can damage the dryer or become a severe fire hazard. In the case of a gas dryer, it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. This was not a little mistake. You would think that the Villages would find out why this happened to make sure it’s not being repeated. I would think there could be quite a lawsuit if this turns into a tragedy for someone.

It was the construction project manager for your house that screwed up. It’s his/her job to check everything the subs do. I would contact that person ( name on sticker affixed to the electric panel cover).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

Update - SunKool came by today. The guy said the manufacturer of the vent erroneously put in a screen rather than a flapper. SunKool doesn’t check this prior to installation and assumes it is correct. However Sunkool can’t just replace the screen with a flap. The roof vent itself has to come out and be replaced by the correct one. Consequently in addition to Sunkool coming back, a roofer also has to come back. We’ll be able to use the dryer until that time since they cut away the screen. The SunKool Guy said when they come back they will check the vent pipe for any obstruction. What a pain in the ass!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Update - SunKool came by today. The guy said the manufacturer of the vent erroneously put in a screen rather than a flapper. SunKool doesn’t check this prior to installation and assumes it is correct. However Sunkool can’t just replace the screen with a flap. The roof vent itself has to come out and be replaced by the correct one. Consequently in addition to Sunkool coming back, a roofer also has to come back. We’ll be able to use the dryer until that time since they cut away the screen. The SunKool Guy said when they come back they will check the vent pipe for any obstruction. What a pain in the ass!
Who is going to pay for this repair? I don't think you should have to.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Sage

Remember this. A year from now with your new dryer opening, your dryer will slow down and not dry clothes well again. You have to have your dryer vent cleaned here often because of the high humidity. It turns lint into felt. Hard as it can be.

To all new people. Have your dryer vent cleaned regularly.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Whoever installed the vents on our roof turned the one over the laundry room the wrong way (or something like that). In heavy rain, water was pouring down the dryer vent tube. When the dryer quit drying clothes, we called Beck's appliance repair, and the late Mr. Beck came out, disconnected the vent tube, and where it formed a "U," it was full of water.
The house was out of warranty, but we called Warranty anyway. The roofer and plumber kept kicking it one back to the other, but warranty kept on it, and finally one of them caved and came out and fixed it.

The bad news is it took a year and a half for one of them to quit arguing and fix it. Part of that was the two contractors stalling and our forgetting to hound, etc. But Warranty did keep on it whenever we called.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
They are paying.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Whoever installed the vents on our roof turned the one over the laundry room the wrong way (or something like that). In heavy rain, water was pouring down the dryer vent tube. When the dryer quit drying clothes, we called Beck's appliance repair, and the late Mr. Beck came out, disconnected the vent tube, and where it formed a "U," it was full of water.
The house was out of warranty, but we called Warranty anyway. The roofer and plumber kept kicking it one back to the other, but warranty kept on it, and finally one of them caved and came out and fixed it.

The bad news is it took a year and a half for one of them to quit arguing and fix it. Part of that was the two contractors stalling and our forgetting to hound, etc. But Warranty did keep on it whenever we called.
I don’t feel so bad now.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
They are paying.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Complete Dryer Vent Services. Gus. 352-653-0809
Gus is an authorized Whirlpool appliance repairman. He does dryers on the weekend. $75 to clean your vent and $150 to clean vent, dissemble your dryer, clean and reassemble. He is a nice young guy and he knows what he is doing. Several in our neighborhood have used him.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Complete Dryer Vent Services. Gus. 352-653-0809
Gus is an authorized Whirlpool appliance repairman. He does dryers on the weekend. $75 to clean your vent and $150 to clean vent, dissemble your dryer, clean and reassemble. He is a nice young guy and he knows what he is doing. Several in our neighborhood have used him.
This is the best way to get the job done and is the correct way also. In N.J. they had a company called Duct Dudes who had the biggest vacuum truck you ever saw and they would clean the line and the dryer from the outside dryer vent. It was amazing and quick. 20 minute in and out $75 or $100. For this guy to disassemble and clean, he's the one for us. Thank You perrjojo.

Think about it. Cleaning the line and not the dryer is the same as changing your oil and not the filter. Once you have seen the damage from a dryer fire no reminder will be required. Just do it, TODAY!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 AM
Veteran member

It took 30 days for the correct vent to be finally put in after many phone calls. I guess the problem was that the sunkool guy and the roofer had to be here at the same time. On my last call to warranty they gave me the Sunkool number and asked me to call since they were having no luck with Sunkool. Instead of calling sunkool I expressed my frustration in an email to my Villages realtor who forwarded the email to the builder who called me and finally got it done. For the most part I’ve been very satisfied with the warranty dept’s responsiveness. This instance not so much.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Remember this. A year from now with your new dryer opening, your dryer will slow down and not dry clothes well again. You have to have your dryer vent cleaned here often because of the high humidity. It turns lint into felt. Hard as it can be.

To all new people. Have your dryer vent cleaned regularly.
To all new people. Have your dryer vent cleaned once a year.

Tags
listen, dryer, wife, house, vent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.