Listen to your wife when she says the dryer isn’t drying clothes

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2018, 11:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

I have concrete block CYV. My dryer vent out on the back wall due to location of washer and dryer connections. Even though it mismatched with the dryer vent it's through the concrete wall. I guessing you're design has the dryer on inside wall which usually leaves nowhere to vent except straight up?? I can look at the design of houses and tell which have dryer venting through the roof by what's sticking up on the roof. IMO another problem is venting between studs in the wall up through the roof. The ducting used to fit in the wall studs are not 4" in diameter, there smaller and IMO along with gravity compounds the problem, which leads to that design to be cleaned out mimum annually?
Old 09-21-2018, 01:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,597 Times in 5,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Dum View Post
Never listen to your wife. Pretend the solution was your idea and tell her how smart you are. She will worship you forever until she realizes you are full of it. Then watch out! I am twice divorced and know what I'm talking about.
When I was married, my wife always said I never listened to her, or something like that.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Whoever installed the vents on our roof turned the one over the laundry room the wrong way (or something like that). In heavy rain, water was pouring down the dryer vent tube. When the dryer quit drying clothes, we called Beck's appliance repair, and the late Mr. Beck came out, disconnected the vent tube, and where it formed a "U," it was full of water.
The house was out of warranty, but we called Warranty anyway. The roofer and plumber kept kicking it one back to the other, but warranty kept on it, and finally one of them caved and came out and fixed it.

The bad news is it took a year and a half for one of them to quit arguing and fix it. Part of that was the two contractors stalling and our forgetting to hound, etc. But Warranty did keep on it whenever we called.
Always call warranty first and act nice. Warranty reports to the boss who hires the contractor. Warranty is just like anyone else, they always act nice when you act nice. And warranty is the power, not the contractors, don't call them, always call warranty. We have built eleven homes in our life. The two here had the least difficulty. Anything on the list was fixed immediately. And have Frank DeAngelo for your year inspector. He is thorough and honest. The Villages are honest too and they do an excellent job. P.S. Frank and his son are so good and so requested you may NOT be able to get them, if not Frank will recommend other inspectors who he considers good.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
... have Frank DeAngelo for your year inspector.
GG, are you saying new homes are to be inspected just before the end of the first year of ownership?
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
For a few weeks I’ve had to listen to my wife re our dryer problems. Error codes were popping up and clothes never really dried out. I, like usual, was clueless. We had our one year inspection last week and she insisted that the dryer vent be checked out. One of Franks sons climbed up on the roof and they found out that a vent with a screen was installed rather than a flap and it was close to 100% blocked by lint. Frank said that it was a fire hazard and should not be used until corrected. Hopefully that fix will be happening soon. Moral of the story - listen to your wife!

Ps I’m thinking that my house was not the only house with this screw-up.
Who signed off on the certificate of occupancy ?
Old 09-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
For a few weeks I’ve had to listen to my wife re our dryer problems. Error codes were popping up and clothes never really dried out. I, like usual, was clueless. We had our one year inspection last week and she insisted that the dryer vent be checked out. One of Franks sons climbed up on the roof and they found out that a vent with a screen was installed rather than a flap and it was close to 100% blocked by lint. Frank said that it was a fire hazard and should not be used until corrected. Hopefully that fix will be happening soon. Moral of the story - listen to your wife!

Ps I’m thinking that my house was not the only house with this screw-up.
Exact thing happened to me.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Who signed off on the certificate of occupancy ?
You cannot see the screen and it will take a few months for the screen to become blocked. Many homes are need new roofs, along with the new roof, you will usually get a new dryer vent cap. These new vent caps many times have the screen rather than the swinging flap door.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:33 AM
Default Yes please listen to your wife!

We had the same problem, clothes were not completely dry. Had to run the cycle 2-3 times depending on the load. Husband checked the bottom vent....was not clogged. Decided the old dryer just couldn’t do the job anymore. New dryer installed, guess what, was not trying the clothes! Up on the roof, found the pipe was blocked. New dryer works find noe, perhaps the old one would have also worked fine...we’ll never know!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pting View Post
We had the same problem, clothes were not completely dry. Had to run the cycle 2-3 times depending on the load. Husband checked the bottom vent....was not clogged. Decided the old dryer just couldn’t do the job anymore. New dryer installed, guess what, was not trying the clothes! Up on the roof, found the pipe was blocked. New dryer works find noe, perhaps the old one would have also worked fine...we’ll never know!
Have someone clean out your roof vent once a year. Flap or screen, they all get clogged. The high humidity in the air turns fibers into felt, hard as leather. I think I have the card of the guy who cleans out ours every year;

Here is is; Covenant Enterprises, Desmond Harris,352 308 9243 This guy is reliable, honest and fairly priced.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

My daughter called me while she was staying at my other house. She said she smelled gas (mercaptan) and felt lightheaded when she went to get her clothes out of the gas dryer which is located in a small laundry room. She also told me she had to run the dryer twice to get her things fully dried. I asked her if she smelled gas when the machine had not been run for a while and she said no. My guess is the burner is partially clogged from contaminants in the natural gas supply and incomplete combustion is producing carbon monoxide as well as leaving some gas unburned. This issue in addition to clogged venting is another thing to monitor if one has a gas dryer.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Have someone clean out your roof vent once a year. Flap or screen, they all get clogged. The high humidity in the air turns fibers into felt, hard as leather. I think I have the card of the guy who cleans out ours every year;

Here is is; Covenant Enterprises, Desmond Harris,352 308 9243 This guy is reliable, honest and fairly priced.
Here are some pictures of clogged dryer vents on roofs;

from a clogged drier vent on roof in florida. - Bing images

Tags
listen, dryer, wife, house, vent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.