Listing resale with MLS or VLS?

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2019, 07:54 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPMCO View Post
I think a lot depends on the realtor and your willingness to price the home fairly. We used VLS to sell our first home in TV. Listed it on Labor Day morning and it was gone the same day. We had it nicely decorated (selling furnished) and had a market based price. Our Villages realtor (Nikki Perry) was very helpful in suggesting the price range we should consider and giving us suggestions on placement of certain accessories in the house to ensure it showed well. In addition, she helped us thru the process since we were at the summer home at the time. I would suggest interviewing a couple of realtors and make a decision. I highly recommend a call to Nikki.
Sorry, but The Villages agents are not Realtors.

If I had a house go on the day it was first listed at its asking price I would realize it had been priced under market value by my agent.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-21-2019, 07:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Not always the case since every sale is unique but the person that benefits when a house sells on day one is the realtor. Think about it...if a $300,000 house sells for 5% less than it should in the first week the owner loses $15K. The realtor only spent a week of effort and lost (assuming 7% commission) about $1,000.

Not saying realtors purposely or routinely undervalue property - that would be counter productive in the long run. Just saying realtors have much less to lose when it is.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 08-21-2019, 08:24 PM
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
The agent did take the offer. But I'm sure it was something like "here is an offer that I'm sure you won'
t want to accept" She contacted me a couple of weeks later and said it was not accepted.

A couple of weeks later??? That's outrageous!

That agent definitely should have lost her license!
Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Sorry, but The Villages agents are not Realtors.

If I had a house go on the day it was first listed at its asking price I would realize it had been priced under market value by my agent.

That isn't necessarily true.

It definitely would not be true if your agent gave you a copy of a recent competitive market analysis of the last three months of sold homes in your area which you studied backward and forward.

Those kinds of facts don't lie and tell the real story.
The price of your house should petty much be based upon those facts with plusses for upgrades and minuses for anything negative.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Interview at least 3 agents and require then to bring a market analysis based on recent sales of comparable homes.

Go to open houses of comparable homes to see the competition. Sometimes you will meet an agent you click with that way.

If they allow dual agency in FL, don't do it.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I have done lots of selling on eBay (used to teach adult ed classes on buying and selling online) and I always research extensively before listing an item. Unless it is some unusual/vintage/collector-type thing, I know what it should sell for and most of my items sell quickly. However, there is always a momentary feeling of "hmmm, maybe I could have gotten more" when I get the email saying, "Your item has sold!" Human nature, I guess.

k.
I am a lot like you. Most of us if we are thinking to sell our house would be closely watching the market ourselves which is easy to do in this age of online information. Plus many of us have seen a few of our own homes sell in our past, and probably our children's and neighbors as well, and most of us pay attention to the value of homes in our area and what kind of placement and additions add or subtract from a home's value. It isn't like it used to be when only a real estate agent could get their hands on what homes sold for. We are intensely interested in this because for most of us our home is one of our biggest financial outlays and assets.

P.S. Kathy. I have 87 items for sale right now on Ebay. Fun and one can always use the cash.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
That isn't necessarily true.

It definitely would not be true if your agent gave you a copy of a recent competitive market analysis of the last three months of sold homes in your area which you studied backward and forward.

Those kinds of facts don't lie and tell the real story.
The price of your house should petty much be based upon those facts with plusses for upgrades and minuses for anything negative.
The CDM, CA house I am in now I had a signed purchase contract for the asking price through the listing agent who could keep both sides of the commission with my offer within four hours of the sign going up in the home's front yard - in 1996, before the internet listing services we now enjoy. The next day at an open house she received three solid offers, two of them for cash, all three above asking price through other agents.

Obviously the house was underpriced. I knew that as I had been looking in that neighborhood for a year. Diligence pays off!

BTW, Zillow shows the house to be now worth about five times what I paid for it in June of 1996 which turned out to be the very bottom of a big market dip in the area.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-22-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The CDM, CA house I am in now I had a signed purchase contract for the asking price through the listing agent who could keep both sides of the commission with my offer within four hours of the sign going up in the home's front yard - in 1996, before the internet listing services we now enjoy. The next day at an open house she received three solid offers, two of them for cash, all three above asking price through other agents.

Obviously the house was underpriced. I knew that as I had been looking in that neighborhood for a year. Diligence pays off!

BTW, Zillow shows the house to be now worth about five times what I paid for it in June of 1996 which turned out to be the very bottom of a big market dip in the area.

Pardon my ignorance for a change, but what is a CDM, CA house?

You were very fortunate when you purchased your house and it would seem that there was something better in your offer than the other three.

It makes you wonder if that agent gave the results of comparable sales in the neighborhood, and shared the results with the seller. OR -- perhaps, because the times were at the bottom of a bad real estate market, she advised the seller to list at a low price to create interest and get the house sold.

I believe at that time (1996), The Villages real estate cooperated with all brokers, and not only their own Villages' agents. Do you recall if that is correct during that time frame?

Don't take Zillow's estimate of house values to heart. Those figures are usually grossly overpriced.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:00 PM

My understanding is that VLS listings are not in the MLS, so if you list with VLS you are only selling to people that are buying through the VLS. Whereas, if you list through the MLS, those listings are available to all realtors to sell.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Realtors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruderman View Post
My understanding is that VLS listings are not in the MLS, so if you list with VLS you are only selling to people that are buying through the VLS. Whereas, if you list through the MLS, those listings are available to all realtors to sell.
The Villages realtors can not show MLS.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
The Villages realtors can not show MLS.
That is because Villages agents are NOT Realtors. Only Realtors can use the MLS for which they of course must pay a fee.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Pardon my ignorance for a change, but what is a CDM, CA house?

Zip Code 92625

You were very fortunate when you purchased your house and it would seem that there was something better in your offer than the other three.

Yes, The listing/selling agent got both sides of the commission

It makes you wonder if that agent gave the results of comparable sales in the neighborhood, and shared the results with the seller. OR -- perhaps, because the times were at the bottom of a bad real estate market, she advised the seller to list at a low price to create interest and get the house sold.

She was an agent with at least 30 years experience and highly regarded

I believe at that time (1996), The Villages real estate cooperated with all brokers, and not only their own Villages' agents. Do you recall if that is correct during that time frame?

I don't have a clue

Don't take Zillow's estimate of house values to heart. Those figures are usually grossly overpriced.
Of course Zillow's estimates can be off the mark but based on recent sales one of which was two doors down this one is at present on the number.

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-22-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

If I were selling my Villa in TV, I would try to sell it FSBO. It is easy to get a good grasp on market price by checking recent sales through the County assessor websites, Zillow, and the Villages website. If you settle on the price it would likely sell through a realtor and discount it 2-3 % you will likely sell quickly provided you market it smartly and have open houses. We purchased our Villa from an individual that was about to list, but hadn't yet done so. One of his neighbors told us he was probably going to sell soon so we stopped and talked to him, indicating we were interested. He allowed us to look at the Villa and it was exactly what we were looking for in the exact location we were interested in. He told us he had talked to a Villages salesman and they told him they would want to list it for X dollars. We took that figure and offered him 96% of it and he accepted. Three weeks later we owned the Villa.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
If I were selling my Villa in TV, I would try to sell it FSBO. It is easy to get a good grasp on market price by checking recent sales through the County assessor websites, Zillow, and the Villages website. If you settle on the price it would likely sell through a realtor and discount it 2-3 % you will likely sell quickly provided you market it smartly and have open houses. We purchased our Villa from an individual that was about to list, but hadn't yet done so. One of his neighbors told us he was probably going to sell soon so we stopped and talked to him, indicating we were interested. He allowed us to look at the Villa and it was exactly what we were looking for in the exact location we were interested in. He told us he had talked to a Villages salesman and they told him they would want to list it for X dollars. We took that figure and offered him 96% of it and he accepted. Three weeks later we owned the Villa.

Once in a while, we all get lucky.

You were lucky in that your timing was perfect and everything fell into place at the right time!
Old 08-24-2019, 05:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
We already bought our new house (through VLS). We are moving in ten days. We plan to list this house after we move.

k.
If you list with VLS they will knock off 1% on the commission since you sold with them.

I listed with VLS and sold in about 3 weeks. I bought a MLS listed home that was on the market for 6 months. The MLS people will tell you they can get more money for your home to get the listing then it sits on the market or you have to do price drops to get it to sell.

MLS will not market your home like the Villages look at the paper everyday to compare. The Villages sells 70% of the homes with MLS about 30%.

If your Villages agent pushes new homes get another one, our agent never did push one over the other and showed us what we wanted to see.
Closed Thread

Tags
mls, vls, listing, list, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.