Listing resale with MLS or VLS?

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2019, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Default Listing resale with MLS or VLS?

In a few weeks we will be listing our current home for sale. We bought this house through an MLS agent and the new one through VLS. Trying to decide how to list this place (MLS or VLS).

I have read that VLS sells more homes than MLS but that some of their agents really push their clients toward new homes. Also, the VLS contract is specific about what the buyer has to fix (post inspection) and sets a max amount, whereas MLS deals can fall through in post-inspection negotiations. Are there other issues to consider? How would you list your home for resale and why?

Thanks.

kathy
Old 08-21-2019, 12:57 PM
Platinum member

I think it has a lot to do with the location of the house for sale. My personal experience has been that VLS has little interest in selling resales North of 466. I would list my house for sale in TV, if north of even 466 A, with an MLS Realtor. Sally Love did a great job for us."

Had another house listed with VLS located near Lopez. One open house, few showings. After a couple of months we held an open house . The third day, we sold it. We still had to honor our contract with TV, but we sold it.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:14 PM

I think a lot depends on the realtor and your willingness to price the home fairly. We used VLS to sell our first home in TV. Listed it on Labor Day morning and it was gone the same day. We had it nicely decorated (selling furnished) and had a market based price. Our Villages realtor (Nikki Perry) was very helpful in suggesting the price range we should consider and giving us suggestions on placement of certain accessories in the house to ensure it showed well. In addition, she helped us thru the process since we were at the summer home at the time. I would suggest interviewing a couple of realtors and make a decision. I highly recommend a call to Nikki.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Are you buying a new home in TV. If I am not mistaken Villages Sales offers some kind of incentive if you sell and buy through them.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way because every sale is unique. I would be concerned if my house sold on day one or if there was a bidding war for it. That would cause me to question if the asking price was too low.

When looking to buy our pre-owned home our (very nice) VLS agent was unwilling to take an offer to a seller that was about 12% less than asking. Her rationale was that the VLS homes are always priced accurately and sell within 5% or so of asking. She went on to say my bid should be in that range. I politely declined to follow her advice and stated my offer would always be based on my perception of the value of the house in the current market. I found a better deal with the MLS agent I was working with a few days later.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 08-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Don't take this the wrong way because every sale is unique. I would be concerned if my house sold on day one or if there was a bidding war for it. That would cause me to question if the asking price was too low.

When looking to buy our pre-owned home our (very nice) VLS agent was unwilling to take an offer to a seller that was about 12% less than asking. Her rationale was that the VLS homes are always priced accurately and sell within 5% or so of asking. She went on to say my bid should be in that range. I politely declined to follow her advice and stated my offer would always be based on my perception of the value of the house in the current market. I found a better deal with the MLS agent I was working with a few days later.
Had same experience with VLS - Said must be within 5% - bought from MLS also
Old 08-21-2019, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Are you buying a new home in TV. If I am not mistaken Villages Sales offers some kind of incentive if you sell and buy through them.
We already bought our new house (through VLS). We are moving in ten days. We plan to list this house after we move.

k.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:09 PM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

I sent you a private message
Old 08-21-2019, 03:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I was told it's a 1% rebate.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:

It is ILLEGAL for an agent NOT to take an offer on a property unless the seller has put something in writing regarding a low-ball offer.
That agent should have been reported to the Florida Real Estate Commission.

Overall I have found that Villages' agents list a property for a higher price so that if the house does not sell within a reasonable amount of time, they can make a price change and reduce it.

From what I understand, you have no leeway in the amount of time for the term of the listing if you list with the Villages.
I believe the minimum is six months and if you re unhappy with the service you are getting (or rather, the lack of service), it's too bad.
MLS Realtors have the luxury of making changes in the listing contract, but not so with Villages' contracts.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
It is ILLEGAL for an agent NOT to take an offer on a property unless the seller has put something in writing regarding a low-ball offer.
That agent should have been reported to the Florida Real Estate Commission.

Overall I have found that Villages' agents list a property for a higher price so that if the house does not sell within a reasonable amount of time, they can make a price change and reduce it.

From what I understand, you have no leeway in the amount of time for the term of the listing if you list with the Villages.
I believe the minimum is six months and if you re unhappy with the service you are getting (or rather, the lack of service), it's too bad.
MLS Realtors have the luxury of making changes in the listing contract, but not so with Villages' contracts.
The agent did take the offer. But I'm sure it was something like "here is an offer that I'm sure you won'
t want to accept" She contacted me a couple of weeks later and said it was not accepted.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 08-21-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Probably 99% of the public would be thrilled beyond words if their home sold within one day!
The other 1% would probably find some dumb reason for not being happy!

Before a seller lists their home, their agent should have done a market analysis so they would know the exact price range for listing their house. Then there would be no question as to price.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Probably 99% of the public would be thrilled beyond words if their home sold within one day!
The other 1% would probably find some dumb reason for not being happy!
I have done lots of selling on eBay (used to teach adult ed classes on buying and selling online) and I always research extensively before listing an item. Unless it is some unusual/vintage/collector-type thing, I know what it should sell for and most of my items sell quickly. However, there is always a momentary feeling of "hmmm, maybe I could have gotten more" when I get the email saying, "Your item has sold!" Human nature, I guess.

k.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:03 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:

And I'll bet that house sold within 5% of the listed price.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
And I'll bet that house sold within 5% of the listed price.
Possibly, the comps in the area were about 15% less.
The agent thought the corner lot was worth the extra 15%.

As a used car dealer who is a good friend told me - there is an ass for every seat.

Closed Thread

Tags
mls, vls, listing, list, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.