Listing resale with MLS or VLS?

Listing resale with MLS or VLS?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 36,357
Thanks: 6
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I have done lots of selling on eBay (used to teach adult ed classes on buying and selling online) and I always research extensively before listing an item. Unless it is some unusual/vintage/collector-type thing, I know what it should sell for and most of my items sell quickly. However, there is always a momentary feeling of "hmmm, maybe I could have gotten more" when I get the email saying, "Your item has sold!" Human nature, I guess.

k.
I am a lot like you. Most of us if we are thinking to sell our house would be closely watching the market ourselves which is easy to do in this age of online information. Plus many of us have seen a few of our own homes sell in our past, and probably our children's and neighbors as well, and most of us pay attention to the value of homes in our area and what kind of placement and additions add or subtract from a home's value. It isn't like it used to be when only a real estate agent could get their hands on what homes sold for. We are intensely interested in this because for most of us our home is one of our biggest financial outlays and assets.

P.S. Kathy. I have 87 items for sale right now on Ebay. Fun and one can always use the cash.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
Reply With Quote

  #22  
Old 08-22-2019, 09:43 AM
manaboutown's Avatar
manaboutown manaboutown is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA, ID and finally FL.
Posts: 4,110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
That isn't necessarily true.

It definitely would not be true if your agent gave you a copy of a recent competitive market analysis of the last three months of sold homes in your area which you studied backward and forward.

Those kinds of facts don't lie and tell the real story.
The price of your house should petty much be based upon those facts with plusses for upgrades and minuses for anything negative.
The CDM, CA house I am in now I had a signed purchase contract for the asking price through the listing agent who could keep both sides of the commission with my offer within four hours of the sign going up in the home's front yard - in 1996, before the internet listing services we now enjoy. The next day at an open house she received three solid offers, two of them for cash, all three above asking price through other agents.

Obviously the house was underpriced. I knew that as I had been looking in that neighborhood for a year. Diligence pays off!

BTW, Zillow shows the house to be now worth about five times what I paid for it in June of 1996 which turned out to be the very bottom of a big market dip in the area.
__________________
"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." Plato

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-22-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #23  
Old 08-22-2019, 03:51 PM
Midnight Cowgirl Midnight Cowgirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The CDM, CA house I am in now I had a signed purchase contract for the asking price through the listing agent who could keep both sides of the commission with my offer within four hours of the sign going up in the home's front yard - in 1996, before the internet listing services we now enjoy. The next day at an open house she received three solid offers, two of them for cash, all three above asking price through other agents.

Obviously the house was underpriced. I knew that as I had been looking in that neighborhood for a year. Diligence pays off!

BTW, Zillow shows the house to be now worth about five times what I paid for it in June of 1996 which turned out to be the very bottom of a big market dip in the area.

Pardon my ignorance for a change, but what is a CDM, CA house?

You were very fortunate when you purchased your house and it would seem that there was something better in your offer than the other three.

It makes you wonder if that agent gave the results of comparable sales in the neighborhood, and shared the results with the seller. OR -- perhaps, because the times were at the bottom of a bad real estate market, she advised the seller to list at a low price to create interest and get the house sold.

I believe at that time (1996), The Villages real estate cooperated with all brokers, and not only their own Villages' agents. Do you recall if that is correct during that time frame?

Don't take Zillow's estimate of house values to heart. Those figures are usually grossly overpriced.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-22-2019, 04:00 PM
gruderman gruderman is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

My understanding is that VLS listings are not in the MLS, so if you list with VLS you are only selling to people that are buying through the VLS. Whereas, if you list through the MLS, those listings are available to all realtors to sell.
Reply With Quote
Realtors
  #25  
Old 08-22-2019, 04:06 PM
JSR22's Avatar
JSR22 JSR22 is online now
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bonita
Posts: 1,577
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Realtors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruderman View Post
My understanding is that VLS listings are not in the MLS, so if you list with VLS you are only selling to people that are buying through the VLS. Whereas, if you list through the MLS, those listings are available to all realtors to sell.
The Villages realtors can not show MLS.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-22-2019, 04:33 PM
manaboutown's Avatar
manaboutown manaboutown is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA, ID and finally FL.
Posts: 4,110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
The Villages realtors can not show MLS.
That is because Villages agents are NOT Realtors. Only Realtors can use the MLS for which they of course must pay a fee.
__________________
"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." Plato

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-22-2019, 04:40 PM
manaboutown's Avatar
manaboutown manaboutown is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA, ID and finally FL.
Posts: 4,110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Pardon my ignorance for a change, but what is a CDM, CA house?

Zip Code 92625

You were very fortunate when you purchased your house and it would seem that there was something better in your offer than the other three.

Yes, The listing/selling agent got both sides of the commission

It makes you wonder if that agent gave the results of comparable sales in the neighborhood, and shared the results with the seller. OR -- perhaps, because the times were at the bottom of a bad real estate market, she advised the seller to list at a low price to create interest and get the house sold.

She was an agent with at least 30 years experience and highly regarded

I believe at that time (1996), The Villages real estate cooperated with all brokers, and not only their own Villages' agents. Do you recall if that is correct during that time frame?

I don't have a clue

Don't take Zillow's estimate of house values to heart. Those figures are usually grossly overpriced.
Of course Zillow's estimates can be off the mark but based on recent sales one of which was two doors down this one is at present on the number.
__________________
"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." Plato

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-22-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-22-2019, 05:42 PM
eweissenbach's Avatar
eweissenbach eweissenbach is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Smithville (Kansas City) Mo./ Megan Villas, Sanibel TV
Posts: 4,200
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

If I were selling my Villa in TV, I would try to sell it FSBO. It is easy to get a good grasp on market price by checking recent sales through the County assessor websites, Zillow, and the Villages website. If you settle on the price it would likely sell through a realtor and discount it 2-3 % you will likely sell quickly provided you market it smartly and have open houses. We purchased our Villa from an individual that was about to list, but hadn't yet done so. One of his neighbors told us he was probably going to sell soon so we stopped and talked to him, indicating we were interested. He allowed us to look at the Villa and it was exactly what we were looking for in the exact location we were interested in. He told us he had talked to a Villages salesman and they told him they would want to list it for X dollars. We took that figure and offered him 96% of it and he accepted. Three weeks later we owned the Villa.
__________________
Oldcoach Ed
"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails" "Be yourself - everyone else is taken"
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-22-2019, 06:38 PM
Midnight Cowgirl Midnight Cowgirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 405
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
If I were selling my Villa in TV, I would try to sell it FSBO. It is easy to get a good grasp on market price by checking recent sales through the County assessor websites, Zillow, and the Villages website. If you settle on the price it would likely sell through a realtor and discount it 2-3 % you will likely sell quickly provided you market it smartly and have open houses. We purchased our Villa from an individual that was about to list, but hadn't yet done so. One of his neighbors told us he was probably going to sell soon so we stopped and talked to him, indicating we were interested. He allowed us to look at the Villa and it was exactly what we were looking for in the exact location we were interested in. He told us he had talked to a Villages salesman and they told him they would want to list it for X dollars. We took that figure and offered him 96% of it and he accepted. Three weeks later we owned the Villa.

Once in a while, we all get lucky.

You were lucky in that your timing was perfect and everything fell into place at the right time!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-24-2019, 05:48 AM
crash crash is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
We already bought our new house (through VLS). We are moving in ten days. We plan to list this house after we move.

k.
If you list with VLS they will knock off 1% on the commission since you sold with them.

I listed with VLS and sold in about 3 weeks. I bought a MLS listed home that was on the market for 6 months. The MLS people will tell you they can get more money for your home to get the listing then it sits on the market or you have to do price drops to get it to sell.

MLS will not market your home like the Villages look at the paper everyday to compare. The Villages sells 70% of the homes with MLS about 30%.

If your Villages agent pushes new homes get another one, our agent never did push one over the other and showed us what we wanted to see.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mls, vls, listing, list, home

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.