Lithium Golf Carts: No Rave Reviews Anywhere

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2022, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I sure would not have wanted to be stuck in the traffic during a snow storm for over 15 hours with an electric car like Tesla. Do you get a bucket and go to a charging station and get 5 gallons of electricity? Or call AAA to bring you some???

You picked the wrong example. Ask the 100's of driver of every type of vehicle who ran out of gas as well as I assume electric about 2 weeks ago on US95 many who had to abandon their vehicles. AAA? They couldn't even get police cars there to help. The nearest exit was sometimes 15 miles. Who "walked to a gas station to get a can of gas." Even if they did they would still have been stuck. There were a LOT of abandoned vehicles, mostly gas only because most vehicles still are gas. It didn't matter much WHAT type of power it had. They would have still had to wait 24+ hours to get AAA. They take 2 hrs even under normal conditions. That however has nothing to do with golf carts.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 01-16-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I sure would not have wanted to be stuck in the traffic during a snow storm for over 15 hours with an electric car like Tesla. Do you get a bucket and go to a charging station and get 5 gallons of electricity? Or call AAA to bring you some???

A Tesla can maintain 72 cabin temp for 70 hrs.

How Long Can A Tesla Keep You Warm In A Frozen Traffic Jam? "Dirty Tesla" Finds Out [UPDATE] - CleanTechnica

There is an easy way to estimate time for your gasoline fueled car. You only need to know the displacement of your engine in L and the volume of you tank in gal. and the number .16. Multiply your displacement by 16 to find out how many gallons your engine uses in an hour.

A 2L engine will use 32 gal/hr. Your 5.3L will use .85 gal/ hr. Divide the size of your tank by the rate to find the total run time for a full tank. Multiply that by the percent your tank is full to find out how long.

A 1.5L car with a 14.8 gal tank will idle for over 60 hrs.

Last edited by Altavia; 01-17-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
Everyone loves their electric cart for about 3 years and then something happens. Range drops and it becomes unreliable. The jury is out on lithium batteries. Let's have this conversation in about 3-4 years and see where we are at.
In 3 - 4 years, most new cars you buy will be Lithium. You’ll love them then!
Old 01-16-2022, 10:24 PM
Default My T865

I have a Onward Club Car. Change the motor for 27MPH. Installed Titon T865 batteries. No problem 80 miles. Everywhere I need to go.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:13 AM

Well, they do smell...being gas and all. I have to leave my garage open for a bit after parking the cart until the air clears.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:55 AM

Here's some specific info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
The battery warranty guarantees a minimum throughput based on an minimum Ah limitation based on the battery module configuration per the chart in the warranty.

For the 2.0, if you can't get 50 mi range, it will likely fail the A/H test and be eligible for replacement.

E-Z-GO Freedom RXV ELiTE Review – Is it worth it? – Golf Car Maven
Old 01-17-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanStCatherine View Post
The Villages Golf Cars are beginning to supply electric golf carts for Villages Lifestyle visits.

The Villages Golf Cars recently started selling an additional brand of electric besides ez-go called Star EV.

We are waiting on our brand-new ez-go electric.
Because the gas Yamahas are in high demand/short supply. Like everything else in this over stimulated economy
Old 01-17-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARFAP View Post
Well, they do smell...being gas and all. I have to leave my garage open for a bit after parking the cart until the air clears.
Need to have fuel mixture adjusted. Sounds like its running too rich. And buy ethanol type fuel to minimize exhaust smells
Old 01-17-2022, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick777 View Post
I have a Onward Club Car. Change the motor for 27MPH. Installed Titon T865 batteries. No problem 80 miles. Everywhere I need to go.
27MPH? Nice. If somebody runs into you and the police are called, expect a court date and a big fine. And your insurance won't cover any damages.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:44 AM

Waiting for the hydrogen gas powered carts. Elec batteries so ineffecient and bad for the environment
Old 01-18-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Lead acid battery golf carts have a 20-23 mile range and diminish every year. You have to check water levels and clean the battery posts every quarter and replacing 4-12 volt batteries is almost $1000.
Lithium are maintenance free, have double to triple the operating range, but costly. At least every 8 years you will be spending thousands of $$$ to replace your lithium batteries, the bigger the battery, the more it’s going to cost. Also, lithium batteries are toxic so where are all these batteries going to be stored after they end of life them?
The new Yamaha drive 2 gas carts have a range of over 300 miles, don’t small, are very quiet, and cheap to work on. I can have the golf cart people change my oil once a year for $100 and replace the belt for another $100. After many years, I can rebuild the engine for a few hundred $$$ and it will be like brand new (engine wise) for many more years.
Don't forget the Clutch, the starter, the starting battery, the brakes (the Elite has no brakes).
And best of all, you're buying AMERICAN.
Always puzzles me when the Yamaha's have American flags all over them.
Please don't give me the "assembled in USA" speech.
The profits, go to Japan.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:42 PM
Default Lithium batteries

There are 2 problems with lithium batteries. One is the cost of replacement. A friend just purchased a lithium powered cart and if it needs to be replaced, the cost will be approximately $2500 !! The other problem is the disposal of the used batteries. Apparently they are very hard to get rid of. Even the government has said that they may have rushed the electric cars because of the problem of disposal of the batteries.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:38 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams1951 View Post
There are 2 problems with lithium batteries. One is the cost of replacement. A friend just purchased a lithium powered cart and if it needs to be replaced, the cost will be approximately $2500 !! The other problem is the disposal of the used batteries. Apparently they are very hard to get rid of. Even the government has said that they may have rushed the electric cars because of the problem of disposal of the batteries.
You should see the hole they have to dig.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I have 19,800 miles on my lithium cart over 3 years and 2 months and the batteries have not degraded (dropped) 1 mile of range per charge all that time (and yes, I keep track). They are rated for 500 charge cycles (about 10 years for me) and I have a LONG way to go. Will outlast my lifespan. I recharge 1 time every 7-8 days and get 66 miles on each charge +- 1 or 2 miles. I charge it at the exact same point every time when the battery level is down to 3 bars. I could probably squeeze another 7-8 miles out of it if I wanted. Replacements are around $3500 if I DIY. So comparing it to "regular batteries" that degrade faster, have to be charged more often and replaced more often (if you want to keep the same mileage as new) it may be worth it to some. I should be able to get another 2+ years out of these minimum so over 5 years I don't think it would be that far off for the convenience. NO, we are not comparing this to GAS which has it's own issues like upkeep and even the cost of gas for 5 years to compare but I personally don't like gas carts.

I look at it this way. I don't drink or smoke so all the money I saved over my lifetime makes up for the extra cost.
Math does not compute

66 miles a week x 3 years and 2 months does not equate to 19,000+ miles
Old 01-19-2022, 08:26 AM

Resale value is the question here fellow Villagers. Trade-in or sell the EZ-GO Lithium cart in say 6-7 years down the road compared to doing the same with a Yamaha Quite-Tech in 6-7 years down the road.
Hands down the Yamaha will bring a much higher trade or sell value because the next owner will not be facing the very expensive price of having to put in the new batteries.
It is proven that Yamaha engines last 20-30 years. How long will this expensive electric motor last?
The best value is without a doubt the Yamaha.
Closed Thread

Tags
lithium, golf, cart, battery, range

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.