Live Oaks. Beautiful and dangerous and protected.

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

According to data from the Florida Forestry Association, there are around 19 different species of oak trees in Florida.

I am only talking about Laurel Oaks. Common Names: laurel oak, upland laurel oak, damn laurel oak
Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I showed you my link....
Your turn
Yeah, I started it. But I only had to read this far...

"Laurel oak, or "damn laurel oak" as I call it..."

...to see how scientific and unbiased the article was.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 PM
Sage

As far as I'm concerned if it's my property, it's my tree my property. I'll do whatever is necessary to protect my property. If that means destroying a protected species to achieve that I'll do whatever is necessary to that end.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
As far as I'm concerned if it's my property, it's my tree my property. I'll do whatever is necessary to protect my property. If that means destroying a protected species to achieve that I'll do whatever is necessary to that end.
If it's truly a danger to your property, you'll likely be able to get a permit to remove it. If you don't you risk being cited.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
1. I say they are NOT protected in Florida because I have researched this. If you can disprove me by reference to a state statute, I would like to see it. "They are protected" is simply and urban myth.

2. If you think they are protected, what can be done about an act of God?
Still waiting for original poster to back up "protected" claim. Appears to be another thread that has no factual basis for the allegations made.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs up Opinions Are Not Facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have seen a lot of fallen oaks this past couple of days, both here and on TV. Yet they are protected.

What say you?
Quote:
1. I say they are NOT protected in Florida because I have researched this. If you can disprove me by reference to a state statute, I would like to see it. "They are protected" is simply and urban myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Lots of laws out there other than Florida statutes. Check city and county and other environmental permitting and development requirements before making such a claim.

And no...I'm not going to cite them. I enforced them for Pinellas County for 30 years. I don't feel any great need to do your homework for you.
It bothers me when someone such as the OP, says that a live oak (in this particular case) is protected. Nothing in nature is protected when it is a threat or causes endangerment to something else, i.e., a person, home, etc.

And let's call an Act of God what it really is whether we like her or not -- good 'ole Mother Nature who answers to no law!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

You know I respect your judgement and opinion. I thought that we were not allowed to cut them down on our property here in The Villages if they were above a certain size in diameter. That is not so? We have none and no palm trees on our property and I am kinda glad.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-13-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:56 PM

I don't have links, but trees in general around here (especially within Lady Lake, Wildwood and Fruitland Park limits) fall under city ordinances and you must be granted a permit to cut them down. The Villages recently received one to cut down a tree on a lot in the historic side, causing much public outcry. I believe that is what Gracie meant by "Protected"
Old 09-13-2017, 11:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
...I thought that we were not allowed to cut them down on our property here in The Villages if they were above a certain size in diameter. That is not so?...
It is so, gracie. As it is in almost every municipality and county in Florida. Anybody who begins indiscriminately cutting down live oaks will find that out soon enough.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:35 AM
Platinum member
Red face A patchwork of laws and regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Lots of laws out there other than Florida statutes. Check city and county and other environmental permitting and development requirements before making such a claim.

And no...I'm not going to cite them. I enforced them for Pinellas County for 30 years. I don't feel any great need to do your homework for you.
I know of no State Law for all circumstances, but I agree that there is an astounding patchwork of city and county laws regarding a wide variety of different trees.

There IS a State Law protecting three types of Mangrove Trees, which is unlikely to be an issue for residents of The Villages. Florida Laws on Cutting Down Trees | Hunker

In Hillsborough County (Tampa) the penalty for cutting down a "Grand Oak" tree can be severe.

From the Hillsborough County regulations: "Grand Oak: A Grand Oak is a tree of the genus Quercus with a trunk measuring 34” DBH and greater, a condition rating of good or better in accordance to the Tree Condition Evaluation Form referenced as Exhibit 4.1.6.1.a of the Development Review Manual, and whose trunk circumference, height and crown measurements are of the size and character to total a minimum 175 points in accordance to the Tree Point System methodology
defined by this Code." https://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/l...egulations.pdf

There is also State Law regarding cutting down a tree near your property line which might affect your neighbor's enjoyment of the tree. A browser search should find this law.

Prudence suggests that a homeowner would inquire diligently before cutting down any tree on their property to assure it is permitted.

Now....... are there also constraints in the property restrictions of the house you bought in The Villages?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The reason this has been on my mind is that we have gone out to check on friends homes who are not here at present and one has a large Oak in their yard. I could just see it falling on their house during the night of the Hurricane. Thank Goodness it did not. But in doing some errands we have seen some big limbs fallen on the ground and there have been many photo's shared on the online news and Facebook of huge oaks falling on the golfcourse and one near a rec center. They could be deadly in a Hurricane and probably have been deadly in a Hurricane in other places in Florida.

One of the most beautiful areas in all of The Villages, to me is the area on Buena Vista near where you turn to go to Lake Sumter with the canopy of huge Oak Trees and lovely trimmed foliage of every hue. I always think that this is what heaven must look like.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:55 AM
Sage

Take a ride on Avenida Central that loops around Spanish Springs.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:27 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Too big a tree on small lots. Very messy. Beautiful to see elsewhere.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Anyone read today's paper yet. Check the front page.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Anyone read today's paper yet. Check the front page.
I will do that. They got rid of a lot of beautiful trees when they improved CR101 last year. That was a contractor for the County doing all the work there.
Closed Thread

Tags
protected, oaks, days, dangerous, beautiful

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.