Living on a lake

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Default Living on a lake

I've seen some houses listed that are either directly on a lake or a house or two away. Would you want to live by a lake? Why or why not?
Old 03-18-2019, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

For the same reasons people live near water,all over the world. Privacy, beauty, tranquility, etc.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:27 PM

We lived on a lake in our home in Cincinnati, however that lake did not have alligators and many fewer snakes! You decide!
Old 03-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
For the same reasons people live near water,all over the world. Privacy, beauty, tranquility, etc.
Ditto.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

Lakefront living? Is that something new? I hope you get a big discount for being on the water. Some people actually have to live on the ocean.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Default All is opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonig View Post
I've seen some houses listed that are either directly on a lake or a house or two away. Would you want to live by a lake? Why or why not?

On a lake? Is it a lake or is it a drainage puddle? A house or two away. Salesmanship. A golf course view? Well with the leaves on the trees, you can see it if you take a ladder and climb on your roof.

Cost vs value for the money spent. A friend who does not live in the villages lives on a lake-truth it is a drainage pond-SMALL.
When, we were looking thinking etc he said something that I did not realize. In his words you have no privacy. I would expect in a hurricane there is nothing to break the wind. Wildlife. It is beautiful in someone else's place. An alligator great till he stops by for breakfast.

You need to decide WHAT YOU WANT. Most people, me included tend to justify the choice they have made.

There is a lake, drainage pond, not far from us. As it has road frontage, you are allowed to fish there. It is a TINY LAKE. People walk their dogs there. One guy pulls on the grass in his golf cart and fishes-never saw him catch anything. I've never seen alligators there but mostly they survive because you don't see them when they are there. Would you want that by your home-that is your question to answer.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

One word of caution the view you see today will not be the view you see in the future (unless this is a water hazard on a golf course), and you may NOT be allowed to alter your view (trim weeds or trees). Take a close looks at the deed restriction documents they state that water features may or may not be there all the time. Finally, some of the water features in TV area PROTECTED areas and owned or regulated by the South West Water management district, do not ever try to alter these areas,if I recall correctly you do not even own to the water line.
Bottom line do a due diligence review of any water view property so you understand what you are getting, whats is actually yours and what you can and cannot do in the future.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I wouldn't want lakeside living because mosquitoes. I don't want to have to spray DEET on my skin just because I feel like having a cup of coffee on the back porch.

A lake VIEW home, would be nice. Maybe across the street, or even down the street from a dead end that ends at the lakeside.

Not interested in retaining pond living though.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
And some are willing to set aside buying a Ferrari for a special view!
Or they might be fortunate enough to have both!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:01 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

We bought on a lake/pond in Fenney nearly two years ago, the only snake I have seen since moving here was on the Lake Sumter Sales Office parking lot. There are not a lot of mosquitos as they keep it sprayed, the alligators are relatively small and I like seeing them, lots of different birds and ducks that are fun to watch, they know exactly how far away from the alligators to walk. Owls and hawks make a daily appearance trying to catch small ducks on the water. I have seen no rats, raccoons, or armadillos I have seen a few rabbits but they don't seem to survive very long, most importantly NO CANADIAN GEESE which we had up north they are worse than dogs messing up the lawn. It's very relaxing to watch the sun come up and go down over the water and our view beyond is all mossy oak trees rather than homes which makes it much more private. We lived on a golf course for 13 years before moving down here and I will never do that again, no privacy, have to listen to every curse word known to mankind almost all day long, the maintenance people start mowing and blowing well before daylight and sometimes well after dark in the evenings and you have to breathe the fumes from pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides quite a few time a year. If we were to build another home it would without a doubt be on water.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We live on Cherry Lake and can see Lake Sumter as well. We have a birdcage and a huge lake view, bugs are not a problem with a birdcage. When it is not bug season, sitting out at the fire pit and looking out at the lake is gorgeous. It's all in what you value and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5974.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	78900   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00183.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	78901   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3414.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	78902   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4706.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	78903  
Old 03-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
the only thing worse than living on a lake is NOT living on a lake!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
We live on Cherry Lake and can see Lake Sumter as well. We have a birdcage and a huge lake view, bugs are not a problem with a birdcage. When it is not bug season, sitting out at the fire pit and looking out at the lake is gorgeous. It's all in what you value and enjoy.
Isn’t cherry lake and Sumter lake the same lake, and it just got renamed when Lake Sumter lmding was built? I seen some old maps and there was no Lake Sumter in the area?
Old 03-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Here I would be concerned where the street drain run to lake. If they ran through or between the property I would pass? But, that’s me being I live real close to the Lopez ground collapse.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

We lived on a beautiful very large lake in South Florida for several years. There were no alligators but the wild life was lovely. We had a HUGE turtle attempting to get over the fence to lay her eggs by the water. That was a scary situation. As for privacy....there was none. People would float by in their paddle boats. There was always the possibility of someone looking at our backyard with binoculars. That may not have ever happened but there was always the opportunity for someone to do that.

We are on a dry lot here in The Villages, surrounded by a large thick hedge affording us privacy. I prefer the privacy. I also prefer not to worry about an alligator creeping up on me while I'm gardening!

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-18-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
lake, live, directly, houses, listed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.