Living on a lake

Living on a lake

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Gold member

Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We live on Cherry Lake and can see Lake Sumter as well. We have a birdcage and a huge lake view, bugs are not a problem with a birdcage. When it is not bug season, sitting out at the fire pit and looking out at the lake is gorgeous. It's all in what you value and enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
img_5974-jpg   dsc00183-jpg   img_3414-jpg   img_4706-jpg  

Old 03-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
For the same reasons people live near water,all over the world. Privacy, beauty, tranquility, etc.
the only thing worse than living on a lake is NOT living on a lake!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
We live on Cherry Lake and can see Lake Sumter as well. We have a birdcage and a huge lake view, bugs are not a problem with a birdcage. When it is not bug season, sitting out at the fire pit and looking out at the lake is gorgeous. It's all in what you value and enjoy.
Isn’t cherry lake and Sumter lake the same lake, and it just got renamed when Lake Sumter lmding was built? I seen some old maps and there was no Lake Sumter in the area?
Old 03-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Here I would be concerned where the street drain run to lake. If they ran through or between the property I would pass? But, that’s me being I live real close to the Lopez ground collapse.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:20 PM
Gold member

We lived on a beautiful very large lake in South Florida for several years. There were no alligators but the wild life was lovely. We had a HUGE turtle attempting to get over the fence to lay her eggs by the water. That was a scary situation. As for privacy....there was none. People would float by in their paddle boats. There was always the possibility of someone looking at our backyard with binoculars. That may not have ever happened but there was always the opportunity for someone to do that.

We are on a dry lot here in The Villages, surrounded by a large thick hedge affording us privacy. I prefer the privacy. I also prefer not to worry about an alligator creeping up on me while I'm gardening!

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-18-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Platinum member

We chose the lake (retention pond) view and have lived here 11 years. There is a championship golf course on the other side of the pond. One of the best decisions we've made other than the decision to move to The Villages. I put my office in the corner of the open living area so that I can enjoy the water view. We have an occasional alligator in the water but never have we seen one on the shore. There is a sand bar when the water is lower that is a treasure trove for wildlife - turtles, anhingas, a variety of ducks, egrets and blue herons. We love watching the waves which tell us the wind direction. And the reflection of the color of the sunsets in the water is stunning. Never have I seen a mosquito in our yard. The white pelicans are amazing to watch. We eat most of our meals outside on the lanai. We have not experienced any downside to living on water (other than initial cost!).
Old 03-19-2019, 06:40 AM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
We lived on a beautiful very large lake in South Florida for several years. There were no alligators but the wild life was lovely. We had a HUGE turtle attempting to get over the fence to lay her eggs by the water. That was a scary situation. As for privacy....there was none. People would float by in their paddle boats. There was always the possibility of someone looking at our backyard with binoculars. That may not have ever happened but there was always the opportunity for someone to do that.

We are on a dry lot here in The Villages, surrounded by a large thick hedge affording us privacy. I prefer the privacy. I also prefer not to worry about an alligator creeping up on me while I'm gardening!
I've never seen a paddle boat or any kind of boat in the ponds and lakes down here, no fishermen either as that is not allowed in most of the ponds and lakes. Some of the lakes are very private, others are surrounded by homes.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:04 AM

We live on an extension of Evans' Prairie. We chose that because, in our opinion, it is much less likely to disappear during a drought. We have no trouble with bugs.

We do see snakes, alligators and turtles. That is why we live where we do. We want to see them. We don't see anyone in any type of watercraft.

As my name says, I have been a SCUBA diver for near 30 years. I don't bother critters and they don't bother me.

The only critters bothering me currently are the rabbits eating my new holly bushes.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 AM

Living on a pond with the golf course on the far side is the best decision we made in our Village house selection. The pond is very close and enables us to watch the wildlife which includes a multitude of birds, ducks, some turtles, white pelicans, and a lot of hackers (if you play golf you know what they look like - including me). In 5 yrs, there was only 1 resident alligator and to be honest he/she ( I didn't get too close and even if I did I'm sure I couldn't tell) was kind of fun to spot every once in a while. The gator didn't bother us but I don't think the ducks were as fortunate and it has since been removed. An occasional gator does pass through but I think they are just tourists visiting our adult Disney land. We have seen many more snakes on the streets and on an interior lot we previously had, then on the pond. We are amazed at how few musketoes there are, especially if you come from upstate NY. The location is: peaceful, interesting and just plain wonderful. The lots cost a few $s more but like they say you generally get what you pay for and I'm sure we did. Oh, and the great thing about the golf path on the far side of the pond is you really can't hear them much and they all try to avoid the water when they swing. Unfortunately (or fortunately for us) If you're into ball shagging you have to cross the pond and go into the shrubs on the other side of the fairway to find balls, but they aren't really that expensive at Wallmart. Two more things I almost forgot, the sunsets are numerous and spectacular, and make sure there is an ABC store close by since you will probably go thru more cocktails (Only kidding we use Publix).

Good Luck hunting there will be many opinions only but only yours counts (unless your married or course).
Old 03-19-2019, 09:19 PM

Hello Tonig -
Living in a house on the lake in The Villages is simply beautiful. There is nothing quite like watching the rays of the sun dancing on the water ... or watching flocks of pelicans swimming in unison... or watching an eagle swoop down to skim the water's edge. A house on the water is peaceful, calm, and private. We have never seen a snake near our home, nor have we ever been visited by alligators, nor have we ever been bitten up by mosquitoes. Choosing a water lot for our home is one of the best decisions we have ever made and we would absolutely do it again in a heartbeat.

Best wishes to you as you choose your new home!

Tags
lake, live, directly, houses, listed