Living in the modular villages homes

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Renting in different villages if one has the time before buying is a very good idea!
Or one could rent in one village for one month and visit different swimming pools every day.
Start in the historical area and work your way down. The first thing you will notice is the further south you go the younger the residents. You will find at least one Village pool where people from one geographic area of the U.S. seem to have come together and that geographic area is famous for its citizens being sarcastic and rude.

When on a pool tour do not stay on the deck get in the water and talk to people. The people that are all wet are EZ to talk to. Plus a lot can be learned about people in the area just by listening to conversations between the people.

It’s all about the people not the Village the way I see it.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I have heard (rumor) that items such as trash and basic cable are included in the fees (amenities or ?) in the historic section ... is this true? Are you in a CDD ... if yes, don't you have a CDD maintenance fee? If not, are you in Lady Lake and pay Lady Lake taxes?
Sorry for not answering your post sooner, JohnM!! We are in Lady Lake and yes, trash and basic cable are included. You see, my husband's parents lived here for 20+ years. They have both since passed away, and we were grandfathered in on the same deal they had.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Default Hope This Helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lis View Post
My only question is: Will they hold up to a tornado? Will they hold up better than a wood home or a stucco home? Seriously. The rest of the comments, however, sound wonderful!
De Lis, I've had conventional homes damaged by tornados and hurricanes in my lifetime; I've lived in a manufactured/modular home that was within 2 blocks of a tornado here in Austin, TX and not a shingle was ruffled. Our home in Silver Lake has been through 6-8 hurricanes over the years with absolutely no damage to the home. We did lose a palm tree from our front yard, but no damage to home. Plain truth is, if any home/building is a direct hit by a tornado, it's a goner!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBear View Post
We are in Lady Lake and yes, trash and basic cable are included. You see, my husband's parents lived here for 20+ years. They have both since passed away, and we were grandfathered in on the same deal they had.
Thanks for your reply ... if you sell, will the new owner also be grandfathered in?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default don't forget the bridge

One feature I do not like is the golf cart bridge. I do not live there, but as we were exploring, I drove over the bridge and one lady was walking on the bridge and as she crested the hill YIKES! Well, she was ok; but it sure scared me! I would rec that one go over that bridge and check that out. Like all places in TV it is a give and take of what you want and it does sound like there are many advantages to living in that area.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Gold member

I have only been over the golf cart bridge once or twice - but I thought it was less scary than the Morse Rd. bridge, which I use a lot. Hopefully the walker was facing the traffic - if she wasn't, maybe that was the problem?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Thanks for your reply ... if you sell, will the new owner also be grandfathered in?
I can't really answer that question for you, as we inherited the home, we didn't buy it.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:35 PM

What about your energy bills for your AC? Are your homes like modulars/trailers in the Northeast where they become unbearable to be inside in the summer because of the heat?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&M-FATH View Post
What about your energy bills for your AC? Are your homes like modulars/trailers in the Northeast where they become unbearable to be inside in the summer because of the heat?
Ours is most comfortable and insulated to a faretheewell! Very low AC bills. Averaged out over a year it comes to about $75 per month. Our utility bills in Texas are 3-4 times as high because rates in Austin, TX are over the moon!

We are just counting the days (579) until we can be FROGS!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Gold member

Which of the villages there is the newest, Orange Blossom or Country Club?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
where people from one geographic area of the U.S. seem to have come together and that geographic area is famous for its citizens being sarcastic and rude.
Yes, I'm sarcastic. Rude? Not unless you don't agree with me

C'mon Shadow!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:02 AM

I have to ask. Are the homes in question modular or mobile homes?

There is a huge difference in build quality and materials used.

Modular homes are stick built homes that are assembled in a factory setting and transported to the home site in sections for final assembly.

Mobile homes are trailers with two or more pieces bolted together to make a larger home (double wide).

Personally I would rather have a modular than an onsite stick built home. They are built out of the weather to more exact tolerances. Plus the framing has to be built stronger to handle the transport
Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
I have to ask. Are the homes in question modular or mobile homes?

There is a huge difference in build quality and materials used.

Modular homes are stick built homes that are assembled in a factory setting and transported to the home site in sections for final assembly.

Mobile homes are trailers with two or more pieces bolted together to make a larger home (double wide).

Personally I would rather have a modular than an onsite stick built home. They are built out of the weather to more exact tolerances. Plus the framing has to be built stronger to handle the transport
It doesn't matter if you buy a $1 million home or a pre-owned home on the historic side of TV, they are all built at the same plant by the same companies and crews. They are all, as you say, factory built and controlled by TV.

The historic side village of Silver Lake started as actual mobile homes. Then came Orange Blossom and Country Club Hills which are a combination of double-wide manufactured homes and stick built or slab homes. All built by the same crews with the same materials. The only difference is the slab.

If you haven't been here, the thing you have to keep in mind is TV isn't and wasn't a typical mobile home park. The homes on the historic side have large yards and are actual neighborhoods in subdivision type settings. It isn't and wasn't a trailer park. The homes were built by TV and placed on large lots with beautiful landscaping. The amenities were just starting at this time.

The majority of homes, whether single-wide, double wide or stick/site built on the historic side have carports, golf cart garages, screened lanais, Florida rooms...some even have swimming pools. Some are sitting on beautiful lakes and golf courses.

As TV grew, double-wide manufactured homes were built by TV. There were about five or six floor plans. That is the exact same way the new homes are built now except they are stick built/site built and on a slab. There are a limited number of floor plans that are duplicated over and over and the materials, cabinets, et al come from the same place with the same crews and builders.

There are still some of the original single-wide mobile homes in Silver Lake. The cheapest home going now is $50,000. The reason for the price is the value of the lot. These homes are being sold and the new owners are either building new homes or putting in modular homes. These replacement homes are coming from outside builders and manufactuers.

If you cross the golf cart bridge from the historic side to Spanish Springs, that is where the first build-out happened. Some of the homes in the villages around Spanish Springs town square are double-wides. These villages are a combination of double wides and stick built. As you move out into the newer areas, the double wides are no longer built. The homes are all regular stick/site built homes. All manufactured at the same plant and by the same builders with the same limited number of floor plans.

It is an amazing and fascinating enterprise. You have to see it to believe it. Paradise.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
As you move out into the newer areas, the double wides are no longer built. The homes are all regular stick/site built homes. All manufactured at the same plant and by the same builders with the same limited number of floor plans.
I think you need to elaborate further. At last count there are:

2 Patio Villa models
19 Courtyard Villas
8 Cottage styles
22 Designer models
8 Premier models

59 choices. I wouldn't call that "Limited" unless you meant limited expansion and alteration options. All are site built with strict quality control.

If you'd like to see the roster click here: http://www.thevillages.com/homes/buildNew.asp
Old 07-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Sage

All I'm saying Russ, is you can't bring in your own builder or contractor and build a home by your own design. TV gives you a limited number of choices of designs; be it a courtyard villa, a cottage style, a patio villa, designer or premier. Lovely and plentiful choices but you can't draw up your own blueprints and have your own general contractor select materials and build your home.

Regardless of what you pay or where you build your home in TV, you are buying the lifestyle. To me, it is worth every penny.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.