Living next to non-Village residents in Fenney (5653 Spartina Terrace, Desoto)

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2018, 09:31 PM
Default Living next to non-Village residents in Fenney (5653 Spartina Terrace, Desoto)

Hello everyone,

A really nice pre-owned Ruby Patio Villa went up for sale in the Village of DeSoto (Fenney) at 5653 SPARTINA TERRACE. It's at the end of the street and is fenced on 2 sides, perfect right? Apparently the original owner(s) of the home lived there for a very short time and then "had a change of heart". We looked on Google maps for an overhead of the area and on the other side of the fence are non-Village residents in a variety of houses in a somewhat forested area.

We're in Michigan and have a call in to our Villages sales agent. I'm actually not even sure if those non-Villages residents are still there because the Google map might be old. Does anyone on the forum here live in that area and can comment on living in close proximity to non-Village residents? Is there any resentment about The Villages buying all the land in the area. Do the non-Village residents have a generally positive attitude about the Villages developing all the land around them? I'm always worried when I hear "change of heart" and the house seems so nice and in a great location.

Thanks for any information / opinions you can provide.

Mike from Michigan
Old 12-05-2018, 05:57 AM

Hmmmmm, that sounds pretty ominous....could someone clarify? Is it a noise issue?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

People die. We had a neighbor pass on the very first day they lived there.

There is a very nice 80 year old who flips Villas in the new areas. She buys them new, and sells them in a year and makes money on them. We went to an open house, just driving by and curious.

I can't see anything wrong with known neighbors, whether they are villagers or not if they keep their property nice. I would worry about land that could change usage to something else.

I wouldn't ever buy something I hadn't seen, but that is just me.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-05-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
Hello everyone,

Does anyone on the forum here live in that area and can comment on living in close proximity to non-Village residents?
The thing about having non-villages property on the other side of the fence is that you have no idea what might be going up on that property in the future. This area in general is being built up at at quite a clip by both The Villages and other builders.

When we were looking for our house in The Villages we told our agent we didn't want to look at any houses the bordered non-villages property for that reason.

On 466A there were quite a few Villages houses that bordered a very large plot of land. It was purchased by a builder (not The Villages) and now those houses are bordering a shopping center and what is supposed to be some apartment buildings. Overall it doesn't look all that bad but I sure the people in those houses didn't expect that to happen.

On the other hand if you look around the villages you will find many houses that border non-villages and everything has worked out fine. It's really up to you.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Nice to be in the middle of TV. All have the same rules. You have no control on the other side of the fence.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

We were practicing golf at Loblolly on a Sunday and we noticed that at least one of the non-Village neighbors was burning a lot of trash and the smoke and smell were moving over the Loblolly golf course. I guess Sunday is trash burning day.

Since a lot of the non-Village houses along 468 are for sale, we wonder why The Villages did not buy them when they were building Fenney. I guess we will never know.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Since a lot of the non-Village houses along 468 are for sale, we wonder why The Villages did not buy them when they were building Fenney. I guess we will never know.
We were told that TV had offered to purchase but the offer was declined. TV apparently only makes one offer.

I need to confirm this with several bartenders. Wouldn’t want to be a source of rumors 😁
Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I've just noticed those "For Sale" signs the past month or so. Not sure they were interested when Fenney was being developed. Or they held out for a big payday that never came.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:52 AM
Default City Zoning

We learned the hard way, always go or call the planning department of the city that owns the land. Find out the zoning of the land in question. If its zoned commercial, you can expect shopping, restaurants, etc. If its zoned high density, you can expect potential apartments. DO NOT rely on a realtor for the full details!
Its your purchase, you be the researcher. Well worth the time and effort.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

My parents bought a home next to an onion farm. One day the doorbell rang and they were handed a box of cheap chocolates from a K Mart representative. Goodbye onion farm.

That is a cautionary tale for all to remember.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Villas usually have a wall behind them. There are also walls at the Villages borders. Some homes are on the edge of the property. There's nothing that you can do about that. If that bothers you, but elsewhere. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of homes in The Villages.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:17 AM

A change of heart does not necessarily mean there is anything wrong with the house or its location. Some people move here and do decide that the lifestyle is not for them. When we lived in our first home here, one of our neighbors did just that. Moved here, stayed for 2 or 3 months, decided it wasn't for them and moved back north. We are on our second home, moved from a courtyard villa to a designer. We thought we could live with the smaller garage that was with the courtyard, decided we could not. So, in essence, we had a change of heart. There was nothing wrong with the courtyard villa, just decided that the designer home better suited our needs.
As the others have said, do your due dilligence. If you think living on the border of the community would be an issue for you, then maybe that isn't the house for you. You are the only one who can decide what is within your comfort zone.

Last edited by Lindaketchup; 12-05-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-05-2018, 11:30 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
We were practicing golf at Loblolly on a Sunday and we noticed that at least one of the non-Village neighbors was burning a lot of trash and the smoke and smell were moving over the Loblolly golf course. I guess Sunday is trash burning day.

All of the homes for sale along 468 are zoned commercial and I'm sure they are asking a healthy number for them. One of the larger parcels appears to already have been sold. There was also a 30 acre hold out on 501 adjoining McClure and I heard that TV now owns that parcel, also zoned commercial. The remaining homes on 468 will at some point end up being little plazas like there are all around TV. I just noticed the other day there is a sign up on the north side of 468 in the State Farm building for The Villages Golf Cars sales and repairs, never noticed it before and my guess would be that they bought the building as I don't think they would pay someone rent when they own so much land. The only complaint I have heard of down here about non-village neighbors was a dog barking all day while the owners were at work. They were talked with about it and the dog owners took care of the problem. I don't think there is much resentment, their property values sure jumped up. Also, a lot of those remaining might be renters with leases that haven't ended yet. I'm sure there are a lot of different reasons why they are still there.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
There was also a 30 acre hold out on 501 adjoining McClure and I heard that TV now owns that parcel, also zoned commercial.
I hope what you say is true. We were walking along 501 a couple weeks ago and we noticed that parcel and I hoped it was not going to be like that privately-owned parcel next to the Hampton Inn along 466. I hope it is sold to TV.

On the other hand, the new Trailwinds shopping area on 466A is not owned by TV and it seems very nice so far. We are looking forward to Jersey Mikes and we can dream about there possibly being a Tijuana Flats.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I spoke with the sales agent and he had many of the same comments you did. It is re-zoned commercial and could be sold in the future for strip mall, apartments, etc. It's a great house but too risky for us not know what could possibly go in there in the future. With my luck a strip mall with a restaurant would go in and I'd have a trash bin right on the other side of the wall. We'll keep waiting for the right house to pop up.
Closed Thread

Tags
residents, area, non-village, villages, land

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.