Living next to non-Village residents in Fenney (5653 Spartina Terrace, Desoto)

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2018, 03:08 PM
Veteran member

I think you've made a wise decision. You never know what might be going on on the other side of that fence, or what the future might hold. I know you're looking for a Ruby patio villa, so did you also see this one? VLS#226963. It's a little more expensive, but still on a corner lot & has a bird cage attached to the lanai.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 12-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

The pretty open pasture never stays open and pretty. I just would not take a chance on what is going in on the other side of the wall. But that’s just me
Old 12-05-2018, 04:41 PM

I always go with omunious gut feelings,..Non villager, hobbies might be turning his garage into a wood shop, or building a big metal boat, crack house, cat house, gambling den, stash house for human trafficking, cocaine cowboys...It is FLORIDA after all....
Old 12-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagevip View Post
I always go with omunious gut feelings,..Non villager, hobbies might be turning his garage into a wood shop, or building a big metal boat, crack house, cat house, gambling den, stash house for human trafficking, cocaine cowboys...It is FLORIDA after all....
With the exception of building a big metal boat, I'm sure that all of the others are happening somewhere within TV.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
With the exception of building a big metal boat, I'm sure that all of the others are happening somewhere within TV.
Got any info, on the whereabouts of the cat house?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagevip View Post
Got any info, on the whereabouts of the cat house?
Try the dog pound.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 PM
Default Buyer Beware

The people that bought homes in Pinellas, that back up to 466A, thought they had a nice woods view. Now they are going to be in the plume of Burger King's belching exhaust.

Caveat emptor.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Location: Detroit area, Da UP, 6 states and 2 countries in 21 years Army, now Duneden

While I cannot speak to this specific property, I did look at a designer on Lyall Loop (Fenney) that is on the edge of non-Villages property. We looked at the home after dark to see how much the light from the rec center would affect us. The whole time a dog barked from the non-villages area. I was considering a pool lot, but I decided that I did not want to hear a dog (to me was obviously an outdoor dog) bothering me into the evening. We did buy in Fenney, just not bordering non-village property.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Sage

Excessive dog barking is handled by the Wildwood Police Department. However, they cannot do anything about cows or roosters and they do exist down here. I think the roosters would be the most annoying early in the morning.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyDom View Post
The people that bought homes in Pinellas, that back up to 466A, thought they had a nice woods view. Now they are going to be in the plume of Burger King's belching exhaust.

Caveat emptor.
I don't recall any woods view along that stretch of 466A. I do recall pasture land with livestock to reduce the tax burden of the land owners, and an oak tree here and there.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
I'm always worried when I hear "change of heart" and the house seems so nice and in a great location.
Any home that is on the border of The Villages is not a good location. Having non Villagers on any side of a property is not ideal, in my humble opinion. You never know what you are going to get on the other side of that fence. No recourse if it becomes undesirable.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
Hello everyone,

A really nice pre-owned Ruby Patio Villa went up for sale in the Village of DeSoto (Fenney) at 5653 SPARTINA TERRACE. It's at the end of the street and is fenced on 2 sides, perfect right? Apparently the original owner(s) of the home lived there for a very short time and then "had a change of heart". We looked on Google maps for an overhead of the area and on the other side of the fence are non-Village residents in a variety of houses in a somewhat forested area.

We're in Michigan and have a call in to our Villages sales agent. I'm actually not even sure if those non-Villages residents are still there because the Google map might be old. Does anyone on the forum here live in that area and can comment on living in close proximity to non-Village residents? Is there any resentment about The Villages buying all the land in the area. Do the non-Village residents have a generally positive attitude about the Villages developing all the land around them? I'm always worried when I hear "change of heart" and the house seems so nice and in a great location.

Thanks for any information / opinions you can provide.

Mike from Michigan
I'm going to just bite my tongue and ignore a lot of the other responses that I badly want to add my 2 cents to. I live in Fenney but not just on the other side of a fence from non-villagers. However, they are around us but have yet to be any kind of issue for us. They are people too and were likely here before we were. Being a villager or a non-villager, or being from Michigan or from Florida does not, in itself, make them a better or worse neighbor than the ones that may be living on the other side of you. It's great, as a whole, that so many people here are friendly and nice, but there are always the few exceptions and, in my view, it's not necessarily relative to which side of the fence they live on.

In my opinion, the rule of thumb to use here is buy the house that you like in the location you like. You don't get to choose your neighbors, but odds are you will have many more good ones than bad. I'd worry more about what might be on the other side of a fence 2 years from now than what is there now. Many of the properties I have seen that border or are around this area have for sale signs out and some have even sold already.

As to your question about on resentment, my bet is that quite a few aren't happy about it while others don't care or they see it as an opportunity. But I haven't seen any protesters marching in the streets or throwing things at passing cars - they keep to themselves.

As for burning trash, I can't say a non-villager hasn't done that, but I'm not seeing any evidence that it is a regular or even weekly occurrence. However, I have seen huge piles of things being burned by the developer as the area is quickly transforming into residential developments and/or supporting infrastructure.

As for dogs barking - most dogs bark and many villagers have dogs, including me. Mine happen to not bark often or much, but it's unrealistic to move anywhere here and never expect to hear dog barking.

I do hear a rooster crowing in the distance from time to time. It's not loud from my location, I can only hear it if I'm outside, and I find it, if anything, kind of charming.

We've lived here 7 months after moving down here 8 months ago with no intentions of buying this far south. We don't regret anything and have loved every minute.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
As for burning trash, I can't say a non-villager hasn't done that, but I'm not seeing any evidence that it is a regular or even weekly occurrence.
If you are sincerely interested in evidence, go practice putting and chipping on the Loblolly practice greens on a Sunday afternoon.

From what we have observed, that is trash burning day for the locals.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
If you are sincerely interested in evidence, go practice putting and chipping on the Loblolly practice greens on a Sunday afternoon.

From what we have observed, that is trash burning day for the locals.
Wrong Village, this thread is about Fenney and Desoto, no McClure.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,671 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Wrong Village, this thread is about Fenney and Desoto, no McClure.
Good point!

The kind of locals who live next to McClure are VERY different from the kind of locals that live next to Fenney.
Closed Thread

Tags
residents, area, non-village, villages, land

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.