Local hospital ratings decline

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
The OP provided you a link to look at the information. This company, Leapfrog, using its metrics gave the Villages a B in the Spring 2022 rating. It is not hard to find. There are other agencies that also rate hospitals using different criteria. CMS uses a 1 to 5 scale
Medicare.gov

Despite all the glowing comments posted on TOTV by patients who say that while the ER is a disaster once you are admitted the care is wonderful... the CMS survey of patients done after discharge shows a very low satisfaction score and that fewer than half those surveyed would recommend the hospital to others.
I basically agree with the statement about the ER vs. after admittance. We found that to be true. But there never seems to be beds available and my wife spent the night on a gurney in a hallway before being brought in for urgent surgery. It was kind of a third-world-country experience. That is not going to get a satisfactory score from most people. The surgery was excellent I must add.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:33 AM
Gold member

I think a C is better than what they used to be a few years ago. I remember a couple of years ago. before UF, that these 2 hospitals would not even fill out the evaluation paperwork to be rated,
Old 11-30-2022, 09:38 AM
Default Great care

Did take 12 hours to be placed in a room. However had great care during surgery and one week in the hospital and three weeks post-op as an outpatient. While many place blame on staff and MDs, I would look at the demographics of TV population: majority of population is older and many geriatric. Most younger doctors seek a broad demographics of young to older population. Additionally adequate staffing is handicapped due to the huge growth of the TV population.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default You’ve Got That Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The Villages hospital got a C rating, that seems overly generous. Take the lowest possible rating and then go a couple notches below that and you got a more appropriate rating.
That’s been my experience. I had a local doctor tell me that if I somehow woke up and found myself in The Villages Regional Hospital, call a taxi and get out of there. He said it’s more than just long waits and poor service, that the medical care there could kill you!

That was my experience recently. My doctor ordered a simple injection of a drug I needed. I thought, “how could they screw that up?” But they did. After waiting 14 hours I found that they had entered the wrong order in ER admissions.

DON’T GO TO THE VILLAGES REGIONAL HOSPITAL!
Old 11-30-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
I recommend Advent Health/Waterman, in Taveres, on 441. It’s more of a drive, but A rating and very nice,
No thank you. I refer the Waterman hospital as the Waterman Inn. I spent seven days and each and every day someone from the billing dept came to my room and asked how I would pay for my out-of-pocket part of the bill. SAY WHAT?? Now, this was a few years back.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:59 PM
Default Hospitals

First, Leapfrog is an unofficial rating site, they don't look onsite but only post based on what they get as a response to surveys - and even then, any response is voluntary.

Their scores don't make sense, out of 6 categories Orlando Health had 2 reds, a yellow and 3 greens and was rated .839 (lower the better) for an A. Waterman had 3 reds, 3 greens and was rated .605 for a B. A better score but a worse rating? The Villages had 2 reds and 4 greens, The 2 reds were for MRSA and C Diff. 42% of the population walks around with MRSA so any patient probably walked in with it, same for C diff. Orlando Health was dinged for infections after surgery and UTI (both are patient care items) and still got an A. West Marion got dinged for post op infections (patient care items) but got an A. Like I said, the scores don't make sense.

The biggest problem at TVH? It is too small, it has been expanded twice and really have no place to expand more, UF's starting over with a new, larger, hospital is the best answer.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:13 PM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default There more to very good amenities in a 55 community which a senior will need badly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmarr View Post
live is the biggest issues.. and schooling/learn medical .. when so many young people are stilling living in the basement waiting for the next hand out.. My husband was in the Villages hospital in July, with short staff, he had good care .. it's not a resort for the demanding, it's in and out.. hospital is too small for the area, new one being built in the suburbs/south of 44 ..
The seniors need good clean up to date hospitals, well trained doctors and nurses and caring trained employees, community travel to get to medical facilities, better health care providers. Concentrate on this problem and the rest will follow
Old 12-03-2022, 06:06 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

When UF took over TVRH and LRMC much was expected but little delivered. 135,000 plus residents are still waiting for some solid improvements to these two hospitals. Perhaps the new Village of Middleton will help attract more medical personnel to this area. I think we have found there is no “quick fix” to this issue.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

///
Old 12-04-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelfmi View Post
The seniors need good clean up to date hospitals, well trained doctors and nurses and caring trained employees, community travel to get to medical facilities, better health care providers. Concentrate on this problem and the rest will follow
Agree 100%, but where are you going to get good, young, experienced nursing staff and doctors to come here to a retirement community where much of the need is geriatric.

I have had surgery in the hospital, my doctor has come down here from the Beth Israel in NJ, or maybe NY. She says the hardest thing is to find experienced support staff for her practice and for her surgical needs. I had a primary care doctor who had moved here from Boston Mass General and he openly told me he was fed up with working in a major hospital with all the rules and regulations, that he was going to practice in TV for about 10 yrs to get his two children through college in Boston and then he was done.

It is what it is. The pay is too low to get good staff, the summer heat is too high, housing is expensive and there is basically very little for young professionals to do in the vicinity of TV.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, ratings, local, group, source

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.